Author Topic: Painting Reference/Help Thread  (Read 7607 times)

Offline Bobafett77

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Painting Reference/Help Thread
« on: September 13, 2005, 10:59 AM »
Hey guys/gals,

I'm really just starting to get into the idea of customizing and wanted to find out how you guys match the color of your paints. Of all things this is probably where the highest degree of difficulty lies for me. Is there a paint chart or something that can be referenced to?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: How to match paint color?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 11:05 AM »
Well, what I did when I started up was go to Walmart, and get about 15 different colors of those small bottles of cheap acrylic paint, this should run you less than $20.00 for all of them. 

Then you could experiment on your own mixing colors, which is what I do to this day.  Started this almost 10 years ago and it's still how I do my painting.

:P

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
Re: How to match paint color?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 01:24 PM »
What he said.  ^^^^^

You should also buy a bunch of "buddy  cups" to store your paint mixtures in.  I started out with the smaller ones, but now I buy the ones that are about 1.5 inches tall x 1 inch in diameter.  With the bigger ones, make large amounts of colors that you will use frequently, and use the smaller cups to store mixtures that you will only use on a few figures.

I found them at Michael's, and Ben Franklin Crafts, but they're at just about any craft store.

B

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Help with Paints
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2005, 12:16 PM »
Ok - the lack of vehicles has me a bit frustrated, especially for dioramas.

What I have decided to do is pick up some of the mini-rig type GI-Joe vehicles and give them different paint-ops.

My first one is going to be this vehicle:

The great thing about the newer figures is that they have enough articulation to even sit at the controls perfectly. I bought this toy yesterday and was pleased to see that the ROTS Black Clone Pilot, SA Clone and #6 Clone all fit in this vehicle AND hold the two control sticks perfectly.

So what I was thinking was to get rid of the dark gray and replace it with a dark-blue and then add decals for the Republic or Empire.

The next project I want to do is to take this one:

and make a Clone mini-fighter

and then after that, I want to take this one:

and make a Wookie ground vehicle out of it.

So basically, here's my question - what types of acryllic paints should I use? Does anyone find that one brand works better than another? Should I give the vehicle a clear-coat when I'm done? I've seen some custom stuff before and the paint always ends up being sticky after a while, is there anything I can do to prevent that?

Any and all help/suggestions/ideas would be great.

Thanks.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Paints
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2005, 01:48 PM »
Hmmm... I've done a little experimenting with spray paint on vehicles.  I would suggest if you do that, do use a nice brand (not the cheap 99 cent stuff).

Also, acrylic paints seem to be a good way to go too.  I do use the cheap stuff for that though, and always use a clear acrylic matte to seal it.

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 4, 2005, 02:28 PM »
I've only used spray paints for 1:32 model cars, but not enough to be a pro.  For the vehicles you'll be doing, use acrylics, like Chewie said.  Especially since they are small and you don't have to cover a ton of surface.

I've never used the more expensive acrylics like Tamaya.  I've found Apple Barrel and FolkArt brands work just fine. 

For the sealant/clear coat, I use Testors Dull Cote.  It works great and isn't sticky when dried or aged.  Always spray it on outdoors or in a WELL-ventilated place like a garage with the doors open.  Be sure to spray it on in thin coats, and let it dry before spraying on more.  I usually do 2-3 thin coats per side, and it takes about 1 hour from start to finish.

If you spray it on too thick, it will get sticky and you can get globs of it in crevices.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 4, 2005, 02:36 PM »
The great thing about the GI Joe vehicles is that they are put together w/screws so I can easily take the them completely apart, give each section their own individual paint applications.

Where is a good place to buy Tamaya Acryllic spray paints? Model/hobby shops or can you get something like that at Home Depot/Lowes?
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 4, 2005, 02:53 PM »
I've never used acryllic spray paint, just the brush-on kind, which can be found at any craft store (Michael's, Robert's Craft), and even Walmart.

I think Darth Delicious gets Tamaya paints, but I don't know if he gets the spray kind.

B

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #8 on: October 4, 2005, 03:02 PM »
I was actually thinking about trying this out after I saw the cheap price of these things at KB. 
I'm working on a "civilian 'Hog" from the Halo lines and have been having trouble with the paint.  Here's what I have been told/done so far...

I always use a layer of Games Workshop Spray primer (although any primer should work fine).  This makes things a lot easier when it comes to paint application.  I've also tried out the Scotch brand masking tape (blue tape) to cover the windows and stuff that I don't want to paint.  I have only been able to effectively use masking tape when I spray paint; it doesn't seem to work for me when I paint by hand...

I looking at various spray paints and I have not found "acrylic" spray paints - do these exist?  The lady at The Rag Shop said that spray paints are always enamel, any ideas on that?  I end up using my Primer spray and then hand painting the vehicle; it takes a lot of extra work, but the results are the same as if I had used spray paint.

I recently started using Testor's Dull-cote and I love it; it's much better than the Acrylic Matte Sealent that they sell at A.C. Moore. 

I hope my comments helped more than confused everybody.  I'm still trying to figure all of this stuff out so any help is appreciated!

Also, when I sprayed the primer on the Warthog vehicle, the tires were covered in primer as well.  Now they are sticky, but the rest of the car is fine.  The tires were a little more flexible than the other parts of the car so I assume they were made from a different type of plastic.  Any idea what happened and how I can fix that?  Should I use Goo-Gone to try to take the paint off of the wheels?  :-\
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 4, 2005, 03:11 PM »
Greg, maybe you could paint over the tires to get rid of the stickyness with black acrylic and a brush.

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 4, 2005, 03:24 PM »
I didn't know acryllic spray paint existed, but I read on a model-building forum that some builders use "acryllic auto body" spray paint.  Never used it, nor did they elaborate as to the brand names or vendors.  *shrug*  I'd go back and ask them about it, but I can't remember where I saw it.  Just google for that term, I guess.

As for masking for paint jobs done by hand, I get the pin-striping tape found at a local hobby store.  One brand is Pactra, the other I'm not sure of.  It provides the best seal, so long as you handle it carefully with needle-nose tweezers.  I've seen it in withs from 1/16th", up to 1/2".

B

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 4, 2005, 05:39 PM »
Yeah - I picked up a couple of these vehicles on the cheap from a KB ToyWorks. I've had my eye on them for a while and I figured "what the heck, give it a try"

My ultimate goal is to make a "New Empire" version of the ARC-170. Since the Empire wouldn't immediately transition to TIE type fighters, my EU idea is that the ARC-170s would start to sport the same gun-metal blue colors that the TIE comes in.

Basically, I want a version of the ARC-170 for my Black Clone pilots and R2-Q5 to fly!  ;D
Peter

Offline darth_ripley

• Jedi Initiate
  • i'm the monster's mother...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 4, 2005, 06:01 PM »
I looking at various spray paints and I have not found "acrylic" spray paints - do these exist?  The lady at The Rag Shop said that spray paints are always enamel, any ideas on that?  I end up using my Primer spray and then hand painting the vehicle; it takes a lot of extra work, but the results are the same as if I had used spray paint.

Krylon has just started making a water based spray paint. i saw it at Wal-mart the other day, and saw it at Hobby Lobby too. i haven't used it as of yet, so i don't know what the results would be like. i personally prefer using the Krylon Fusion spray paint which is specially formulated for Plastics and does not require priming. it sprays easily and doesn't chip when cured, i have had real good luck with it on my 12" scale Imperial droids.

Offline MasterYogurt

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 5, 2005, 08:04 AM »

Also, when I sprayed the primer on the Warthog vehicle, the tires were covered in primer as well.  Now they are sticky, but the rest of the car is fine.  The tires were a little more flexible than the other parts of the car so I assume they were made from a different type of plastic.  Any idea what happened and how I can fix that?  Should I use Goo-Gone to try to take the paint off of the wheels?  :-\

You can find acrylic spray paint at most train and model shops. Tamiya makes it for sure. If you want to use another type of spray paint, I would suggest automotive spray paint just make sure you use automotive primer first. With the overspray problem with the tires I would suggest removing the primer with acetone or paint thinner in a well ventilated area. After you remove the paint make sure to wipe it down with soapy water. You do not want to just add paint over the primed surface if it is sticky since it will make it's way back to the surface eventually.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #14 on: October 5, 2005, 03:57 PM »
Thanks MasterYogurt, I think I will try that!
Darth_Ripley - I saw some of that fusion paint, if I can't find the hobby store acrylics, I'll probably  try that stuff out.  ;)
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.