Author Topic: Ya Hear about A wookie (Spoiler maybe)  (Read 5747 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Ya Hear about A wookie (Spoiler maybe)
« on: April 24, 2003, 01:14 AM »
Announced today that Peter Mayhew will be reprising his role as Chewbacca for E3.

I can't say I'm happy to hear this...  Sure his age is able to allow him to fit in, but I hate the "Need" Lucas has to tie everyone we already know to everyone we want to know more about.

It diminishes the story somewhat...  Tarkin I'd have liked to have seen as a young upstart politician/supporter of Palpatine in the opening years of the Empire/end of Clone Wars.  I'd also come to accept teh droids...

How will they incorporate Chewie into this though, and him not remember/know anythhing that's going on?

What makes him NEED to be tied into this?

Nothing I say, and he could've just been the character we've grown to love as is.

Oh well...  Lucas's gig, he can trash it however he pleases.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Ya Hear about A wookie (Spoiler maybe)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 01:22 AM »
And let me make note that this is the definition of irony! :)

I come here to the site because I'm sorta gonna be here in some "Official" capacity and maybe gonna mod/help out, and yet I screw up and post in the wrong forum!

D'oh!

:)

Sorry Ewok...  

I saw Prequal and went right for it, not even seeing a separate section for spoiler material.  
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 09:02 AM »
I just saw the report and agree with you Jesse, I think it is a stupid idea.  There is a fine line of nostolgia that needs to be walked with the films and having the walking carpet come back makes no sense to me.

The only OT charcters that should be around are:

R2-D2
C-3PO
Yoda
Obi-Wan
Anakin/Vader
Palpatine

PErhaps I can see:
Tarkin
Dodonna
Mon Mothma
Other rebel leaders
Bail Organa (who was a speck on Alderaan)

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2003, 09:08 AM »
It's enough that the droids are in the prequels (still haven't reconcilled that Anakin built 3P0), and eventhough I like chewie, I think a young Tarkin would be a better fit. He needs to be established as a ladder climbing, back-stabbing military-politician so that when we see him on ANH, we'll realize how power hungry he was, and how stupid and clumsy.
BUT GL probably has a few tricks up his sleeve hopefully he WON'T let slip!
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Ya hear about a Wookiee (Spoiler maybe)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 01:28 PM »
This story just made the front page of CNN.com this morning!  Pretty cool...

Here's the link to the direct story (a brief one) in their entertainment section - 'Star Wars' fave Chewbacca back for 'Episode III'

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 05:05 PM »
Don't worry too much about Chewie.  Lucas will probably have Chewy reading a newspaper on a toilet inside the Falcon.  Someone will make a noise in the Falcon causing Chewy to look up and roar a wookie howl and that will be the end of the cameo.   People will laugh and say "Wow!  What a cool and funny cameo by Chewbacca.  That was badass!!!"  Expect a 5 page interview about it in the Star Wars Insider 3 months before Ep3 opens.  

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 05:16 PM »
Consider this: Chewbacca vs. Jar Jar.

"...droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose.  Wookiees are known to do that."

Just a thought.
Post sober.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 9, 2003, 11:55 AM »
Entertainment Weekly has quoted George Lucas as saying Chewie will have a "small part in one of the action sequences" of Episode III.

See. I told you he'd kill Jar Jar.
Post sober.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2003, 04:26 PM »
POTENTIAL HUGE SPOILER regarding Chewie...
THIS IS YOUR WARNING.  If you read on, do NOT blame anyone but yourself!
From theForceNet (and someone apparently in attendance at the recent Fan Club Breakfast at DisneyWorld this past weekend - remember BIG SPOILER - this is your Final warning...
He (Peter Mayhew) confirmed he will be returning as Chewbacca. The interviewer, whos name was Brian Stone I believe, pushed Mayhew a little further into what Chewies role will be in Episode 3. Mayhew seemed pretty uncomfortable at that point, sitting forward in his chair. In a much quieter voice he announced to the audience, and this is almost a straight quote as me and my partner remember it, "Chewbacca rescues and delivers the two children to Ben Kenobi". He then sat back in his chair and refused to commit any more.

Damn.  If that's true, then Peter Mayhew is going to get a new one torn by Lucas.  That's some of the biggest potential spoiler material out there for Ep. 3, regarding what happens with the kids...  Hopefully Peter was just goofing around though or intentionally doling out some false info, and didn't just give away one of the most coveted secrets on the final SW installment...   :'(

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2003, 11:53 AM »
I just read this over there and came here.  IF that is true you are right.  GL would have a fit!  LOL!  I dont' know if that's true but  wow!  Yeah, that's a spoiler I wish I would not have read if true.  Oh well too late now!    

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2003, 06:38 PM »
Uh, hello?!  George calling Peter.  George calling Peter.  Guess what?  You're fired.  Not only are you fired, I've written you out of the script and revised the ending of the movie as well.  Dumb walking carpet!

Hopefully Peter Mayhew's just working a misinformation campaign for Lucas here.  He can't really be this stupid, can he?

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2003, 12:17 AM »
Dang it!I just know Lucas(if this is true)will rewrite the script and delay the film!Stupid Wookie!Ahhhhh!
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2003, 09:17 AM »
Ever since I first saw Star Wars, just from the way Ben and Chewbacca acted in the cantina, I had a feeling they knew each other. When I heard about Wookiee senators in Episode I, I thought, "Aha! Chewbacca met Obi-Wan on Coruscant as an Ambassador or something." Then someone reminded me that it was BoShek who introduced them in the cantina.

Still, Ben could have gone there knowing Chewie was likely there and simply asked Bo if he'd seen him around.

For some reason, I don't consider this huge spoiler material. We know the kids are delivered to safety, we know Chewie's in the film. A big spoiler to me would be the revelation about Anakin's father's identity. (Chewbacca, right Mr. Mayhew?)

One thing's for sure: If I see Chewie EXACTLY as he appeared in ANH, bandolier and all, I'll be thoroughly disappointed. I see no reason why Chewie can't have a costume change in thirty years.
Post sober.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 8, 2003, 11:56 AM »
Over at www.theforce.net Peter Mayhew is at it again spilling a few more beans about Ep3.  Again he reiterates that Lucas is going to have Chewbacca rescue the Jedi Twins or do something with them.  Plus the opening action sequence involves other wookies and machines on a new planet we have not seen yet.  He did admit to not actually having a script.  This is just was Lucas has told him.  

Interesting, I think it would be great to have a bunch of wookies on screen.  Hopefully they will be fighting.  Perhaps the new planet will be Kashyyyk???  

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 8, 2003, 02:16 PM »
According to EU, enslaved wookiees helped build the Death Star.

Hmmm...
Post sober.