Author Topic: Painting Gentle Giant Mini-Busts  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
Painting Gentle Giant Mini-Busts
« on: December 7, 2005, 08:59 PM »
I know I haven't been posting much lately, but hopefully that'll change soon.  Anyway, I started getting into Gentle Giant Mini-Busts and I've been slowly expanding my collection.  Obviously, Jango Fett and Boba Fett are way out of my price range right now, but I was able to score a Chrome Jango Fett for $50 shipped. 
Here's where the "Customs" Section comes into play.  I want to paint my own version of Jango Fett (it's gotta be cheaper than shelling out $200 for GG's version)

Has anybody stripped the chrome off of the Chrome Mini-Busts or does anybody know of an effective way of doing so without damaging the mini-bust?  I talked to some of the NJSWCC members and they recommended acetone or finger nail polish remover, but I thought I'd double check with you guys.  Any recommendations?
As of right now, I think I might try a bit of nail polish remover on a small part of the mini-bust to see how that goes, but I'm not really expecting it to work very well. 

Any help would be most appreciated!  Thanks guys  ;D
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Painting Gentle Giant Mini-Busts
« Reply #1 on: December 7, 2005, 09:04 PM »
Hmmm, interesting question. I seem to remember someone talking about doing this to a 3 3/4" 3PO, and removing the gold "chrome" from it. I believe they said acetone as well. Did you check FFURG? There might be a tutorial for this sort of thing.
"This is the way."

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
Re: Painting Gentle Giant Mini-Busts
« Reply #2 on: December 7, 2005, 09:08 PM »
Hmmm, interesting question. I seem to remember someone talking about doing this to a 3 3/4" 3PO, and removing the gold "chrome" from it. I believe they said acetone as well. Did you check FFURG? There might be a tutorial for this sort of thing.

Good point, I totally forgot to check there!

I found this:
Paint/Chrome Removal
but it sounds pretty hardcore, I think I might try the acetone first and use that as a backup method...

Thanks!
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.