Author Topic: Complete Frustration...  (Read 5897 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Complete Frustration...
« on: December 9, 2005, 09:03 PM »
Maybe somebody here can help me out with a new digital camera issue that I am having.

About 2 weeks ago I purchased a new digital camera - seemed happy with it, but I could not get anything to download onto my computer (my old camera still downloads stuff just fine) - eventually I was able to see that the computer wasn't recognizing there being a camera hooked up to it.  So I figured it was something wrong with the camera or the new cord and took it back.

Got a much better one today... same damn thing is happening.  The old camera will still download pics, but this one won't, just like the other new one I got!  What gives?  My new camera's screen says "connecting" while it is hooked up to the computer, but nothing will download.  And the cords are compatible with the new versus old - I tried swapping them out and still get the same problem.

I'm so frustrated.  Has anyone ever experienced anything like this, or have any advice?

Thank you!

:P

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Frustration...
« Reply #1 on: December 9, 2005, 09:09 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that. Does your camera make a sound when the camera is connecting? Maybe you should check the cord and make sure it is connecting on both sides. Maybe you have to uninstall your old camera's program. I'm not really an expert on electronics, just trying to help.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Phalanxx

• Jedi Initiate
  • I aim to misbehave
    • View Profile
    • Phalanxx Designs
« Reply #2 on: December 9, 2005, 09:20 PM »
Well that stinks.  What brand is the camera?

Here are a couple of things that I can think.  On some cameras, you have to set the camera to a "connect" setting so that the computer sees the camera as an external drive.  Another option is if the camera has a memory card, you can get a card reader and download the pictures that way.
Visit www.phalanxxdesigns.com - Custom Figures and Cardbacks.

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
« Reply #3 on: December 9, 2005, 09:44 PM »
Hi Chewie

Do you still have the old camera software on the compute? and if so teh computer might be getting conflicts with your old camera and the new one.

You might have to delete the old camera for the new one to work.

or the other thing is are you using the same port connection for both camera's as that can cause a conflict as well.

Ron

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 9, 2005, 10:42 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  I do get the "connecting" sound, but no connection.

I decided to go ahead and delete some older software, and still no regular connection is working, but I was able to get the "E" memory stick drive to now show up as an option (wouldn't show up before) - so I have to do an extra step now to download.

But for a 7 megapixel camera, it doesn't take good pics of Star Wars figures at all.  I need to figure something out here, I only bought it to try and improve the photonovels.  It's a Samsung.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 9, 2005, 11:06 PM »
What operating system are you using? When you plug the camera into the USB port, does it show up as a removable drive? Are you able to pug other USB devices into that port and have them work? Did you install any of the software that came with the camera? One thing I do is not use the camera's software but the camera download wizard that comes with Windows XP.

A suggestion is to buy a USB memory card reader. That way, you just take your media card out of the camera and plug it into the card reader. Then it doesn't matter what camera software you use. They are about $10 and nice to have around for PDAs and video cameras that use memory cards.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 12:35 AM »
Phruby, some of the questions you asked might be over my head... but I'll try and answer them.

I'm using Windows XP.  When I plug the camera into the USB port, nothing shows up at all (but it still does w/ my old camera.  I did install the software with the camera as it said to.  Maybe I shouldn't use their software at all.  Maybe I need to get a memory card reader too.

I'm able to download the pics now, but it's a pain.  The real problem though is the terrible quality of the pics... I can get some to turn out, but only if I have an extremely bright light above them.

Here is one pic that turned out ok, that I'm just experimenting with.  Still don't know if I like the camera or not yet.

Offline aeseven7

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 06:27 AM »
Chewie,

I too recently (4-5 months so maybe not TOO recently lol) upgraded to a newer camera (canon 8 mp) in an effort to improve the quality of the photos of my customs.

At first, out of maybe 10 shots i would take, 4 would actually turn out really well.  I couldnt understand what i was doing wrong i mean i bought the better camera right?  Well my GF who is much more into cameras and the like than me suggested i get a couple different filters since i was primarily using flourescent light ( i know i know, its a no-no but too lazy to get proper lighting hah) and once i started using a FL fliter the pics improved so that roughly 8/10 shots turn out well. 

I dont know if you're able to use different filters but i would try that if its an option.  Otherwise make SURE you have 2 good light sources set-up.  I was able to get some pretty good shots with my old camera (4 mp) with having two quality light sources:) (until they met with an unfortunate end, lol)

And as for uploading them to your computer, i used to do the connect the camera to the computer then transfer the images over routine but opted to try out a memory card usb reader and it's a LOT quicker and not to mention easier:)

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 12:03 PM »
I had the same problem.I had it set on ptp (or somethin' like that.)I had to change it to USB mode.(it may be the other way around...if you see something that says usb change it and then try to upload.Like I said vice versa is you see something that says ptp(?) change it then try.Hope this helps onece I find my camera I will tell you exactly.
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 06:15 PM »
Guys, I really appreciate all the tips and help.  I returned the damn camera today, and got a better Sony Cybershot than I originally had.  Guess what - spent 2 hours, and can't download pics on this one either.  UNFREAKINGBELIEVABLE.

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 06:20 PM »
like I said I have a sony cybershot(maybe i didnt say that...) and I ahd to do what I mentioned 1 posts up.
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 06:39 PM »
I willing to bet it is your computer. It probably has something to do with why AIM won't work for you either. What kind of PC do you have?
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 07:00 PM »
I have a Gateway 64R computer that I bought 3 years ago.  I did finally get it to download, but I have to do this - switch my memory card out from the new camera into the old one to download anything.  How stupid.  And for whatever reason, there are 4 pics on the memory card that I can't delete.  They always show back up and take up more MB space.  Ah, what fun.

Again, thanks for the help guys.  The new pic quality is definitely a step up I think from my older camera, and will really make the photonovels look better.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 07:47 PM »
I don't think its the camera. It might be the computer's USB ports that might be a little messed up. It might be because of a virus or spyware. You could try uninstalling and reinstalling your USB ports but I don't think that will work.

Is this computer fairly new (less than a year old)? I'm assuming your, plugging in the camera then turning the camera on. I would highly recomend a external media card reader instead of downloading directly from the camera. It's faster and you can use those cards for mp3s and other files. Its like have a little floppy disc.

Typically every year to year and half, I back up all my data, format the hard drive and reinstall Windows and its application again. This keeps things running quickly and keeps all my devices working correctly.

During the year, I always run new virus scans and antispyware software at least one a week. I also run Norton WinDoctor at least once a month to clean out garbage. I don't liet my wife install software without my knowledge. I give her lower access rights because I'm the guy that has to fix it if problems occure. I also empty the web browser cache. These are things people should do but typically never do. You wouldn't believe how much faster a computer is after a reinstall.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 08:47 PM »
Like I said (again) I had the same problem and I just foound my camera.Go in to set up and got to the  fourth menu,(I mean   like this   menu 1
                                                                                        2

3
                                                                                           4 this one)
there should be something that says "usb connect" it will be switced to normal(well if it isnt disregard all this)You want to switch it to "ptp".   
Hope this helps.
Cheers!

- Joe