Author Topic: Commanders, Execute order 66....  (Read 4719 times)

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
Commanders, Execute order 66....
« on: December 11, 2005, 09:35 PM »
A clone firebase is under seige when the order comes.

Stationed there are:

Agen Kolar and his white squad.
Bly and his yellow squad.
Red Commander and his red squad.
A blue squad survivor.

My trade thread: http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10408.0
Email is your best bet to contact me.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Commanders, Execute order 66....
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 09:43 PM »
I don't really see how this is a custom? Unless the base is in which case it is interesting looking...

Agen Kolar also wasn't a victim of Order 66, and Bly wouldn't have been there either.

If you are going for a diaorama I think that it needs a lot more work. Maybe some kind of base for the whole batttle, a few more random rocks, some debris, etc. I think that the rocks could use some weathering as well.
"This is the way."

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 09:53 PM »
The base is the custom. I am not surprised you can't tell. Kenner made it five years before you were born. The holo Emperor lights up but I fried the led tonight. There is also a flashing red alert led in the bunker.

Well my collection is 95% Clone wars. I used the ATOC clones because they were in front. I just grabbed my red and yellow units. Also Agen Kolar, just happened to be in front.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 10:01 PM by Clone Hunter »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 10:04 PM »
Ah I see now, was it the Vintage Hoth Playset? 
"This is the way."

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 10:18 PM »
Ah I see now, was it the Vintage Hoth Playset? 

Yes, more specifically The Imperial Attack Base.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 10:22 PM »
It could be the beginnings of a decent diorama, but a lot more props, assorted debris, and perhaps a backdrop are needed.

Also, EII clones would have had not a thing to do with Order 66, and I think it looks sloppy to have both EII and EIII clones in the same scene when they were years apart in existence.  Lastly, having more than 1 yellow EII clone never makes sense, because they are in a  ratio of roughly 1:2,000 to white grunts, while green seargents are 1:8, blue lieutenents are 1:36, and red captains are 1:144.

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 10:25 PM »
Well, let's try and not be too critical guys!   ;)

Clone Hunter, thank you for sharing this with us.  I have an extra Imperial Attack base I bought a while back for a custom, and maybe now that I've seen yours I will have the guts to paint it a brownish color to simulate rocks.

Looks good, I would work on it a bit more and see if you can get a less shiny look to it.  Did you spray paint it?

:P

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 10:43 PM »
Like I stated previously, Those were just the clones I had handy, but if you want to argue; in my army coloring shows squad allegiance not ranking. FYI, by your theory there are 4000 white grunts per 2-man gunship crew?

Also, perhaps it might look better when I finish my interpretation of cross between of an AT-TE and an AT-AT.

<--- And to Chewie,

I appreciate the levelheaded response. I did spay it. I was just so excited upon the basses competion, I felt the urge to share, but if it is going to be a "lets bash the rookie", I might as well keep things to myself. I only re-started collecting Star Wars in mid-November, and I felt I was off to a good start.

It could be the beginnings of a decent diorama, but a lot more props, assorted debris, and perhaps a backdrop are needed.

Also, EII clones would have had not a thing to do with Order 66, and I think it looks sloppy to have both EII and EIII clones in the same scene when they were years apart in existence.  Lastly, having more than 1 yellow EII clone never makes sense, because they are in a  ratio of roughly 1:2,000 to white grunts, while green seargents are 1:8, blue lieutenents are 1:36, and red captains are 1:144.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 12:38 AM »

Also, perhaps it might look better when I finish my interpretation of cross between of an AT-TE and an AT-AT.

<--- And to Chewie,

I appreciate the levelheaded response. I did spay it. I was just so excited upon the basses competion, I felt the urge to share, but if it is going to be a "lets bash the rookie", I might as well keep things to myself. I only re-started collecting Star Wars in mid-November, and I felt I was off to a good start.

It certainly wasn't a "let's bash the rookie" type thing. It was meant as critism, to give you some ideas to improve it and make it better. There is nothing wrong with that. That is the kind of respones I want when I post something because none of us are perfect, and the best way to get better aside from practice is learning form others. That bein said you should try some of the suggestions.

The rocks look a bit shiney, perhaps you could drybrush them with some lighter browns to give them a more realistic type look. And using plywood, foamcore, or some other material, make some rocky ground. And then on that you can scatter some rocks and debris. Perhaps you could add some carbon scoring to the steel structure as well.

There is nothing wrong with using what figures you have handy. It just isn't an Order 66 diorama with them, a CW battle certainly, but not Order 66. Most of the phase 1 armor was gone by the time of Order 66 but I'm sure some was still around in more remote sections of the galaxy.

Like I stated previously, Those were just the clones I had handy, but if you want to argue; in my army coloring shows squad allegiance not ranking. FYI, by your theory there are 4000 white grunts per 2-man gunship crew?

That isn't Dressel's theory. That is actually what it is supposed to be. The ranking systems changed between Episode 2 and 3. In Episode 2, the colors are rank related, not unit realted. Yellow clones are commanders and the ratio is about 1:2,000, pilots even though they have yellow on their helemts are not considered commanders so that ratio doesn't apply to them. There is nothing wrong with using them if that's all you have though, I have 3 red commanders, 1 Blue Lieutenant, and about 12 white grunts in a dio, because that's all I have.
"This is the way."

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 09:38 AM »
Great start there, Clone Hunter! I would agree with some of the earlier comments about taking this one to the next level. Right now, though, it looks very much like something we might get from Hasbro, so in that respect you're spot on.

If this was my dio, I'd do the following:

Create a base for your base. :) Get a cut of plywood large enough to leave you a few inches on all sides outside the base. Prime the surface of the plywood. Let the primer cure. Glue the playset to the plywood base. Let that dry so the playset will not shift about on you. apply a thick layer of glue to all remaining areas of the plywood not covered by the base. Take common beach sand and rub it into the glue - it's OK if this gets a little clumpy or messy. Let that dry really well. Glue in larger rocks around the playset, with some actually leaning up against it. This will incorporate the plastic playset into your diorama.

When done, remove the non-earthen elements of the playset (guns, power packs, metal shelter). Take the entire set - plywood, playset and all - and paint all recessed areas with a wash of black. Then dust coat the entire set with a lighter shade of brown than the one you used on the playset, with less attention to the random rocks you have scattered and more attention to your sandy areas. This will make it look less like the beach, and will also dust your playset in a color that will make it blend better with the new diorama area.

Finally, reattach the non-earthen elements (perhaps after weathering) and add a few items of vegetation if you want. This is also the time to put in props (abandonned blasters, droid pieces, etc)

I did something very similar to this in my previous hobby as a Gundam model builder. Here is one of the only pics I still have of it after selling much of my Gundam stuff...

If you stick to trying to blend the playset with your new plywood base, you'll end up with something really special and unique to your collection.

Nice job so far, and good luck as you move forward!