Author Topic: New Indy Toys - Rumors and Speculation!  (Read 85983 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
speculation
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2007, 10:40 AM »
This is from the latest round of Hasbro Q & A, by way of Yakface:

Now that the Indiana Jones figures have been confirmed and a few revealed at Comic-Con (which look great by the way, I'm extremely excited). Will you be accepting any questions about this line in future Q&A sessions as well?

I know it's the Star Wars Q&A, but SW and Indy have always gone hand- in-hand down through the years, and since they're being worked on by the same team, I'm hoping you'd be willing to field a few questions about this exciting new line.

IF so, let me attempt to be the first by asking whether or not the "vintage" playsets will get an update (Well of the Souls, Streets of Cairo, Map Room) as well as vehicles (German army truck w/ Ark crate). The flying wing with shredible German Mechanic would also be a cool new addition.

Finally, IF the playsets and vehicles get an update, will they utilize the molds from the vintage toys like many of the current Star Wars vehicles or would they be all new sculpts?
(YF, 08/17/07)

Yes, Indy questions can be sent to the same address here, and since it's the same team bringing you the IJ excitement, we can answer. The answer to playsets is about the same as you might expect from Star Wars - It's a been a struggle so we are adopting a wait and see attitude on them and seeing where our figure/vehicle demand nets out first before going too far in the playset direction. The cargo truck is a definite probability for 3-3/4", but the wing is tough because it really is a big one. One thing that is known is that NONE of the original Indy tools exist anymore, so we will not be going back to the vintage tools.

It's interesting to me that they say the truck is a definite probability.  That's a good sign, I think, that this could be a fairly-large and well-supported line. 

That could also be a good way to deliver the Ark to retail.

But, we'll see. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
speculation
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2007, 12:49 PM »
Interesting.

I'm expecting them to pretty much re-hash everything that's already been released plus put out additional stuff.  So the Well of Souls playset, Streets of Cairo playset, Arabian Horse, Map Room, Truck should be fairly easy for them to do I'd think, presuming they still have the old molds.  I'd hope they'd do a new sculpt or two for the figures in the playsets though.  I can't really think of much in the way of other playsets I'd even want though.  Actually when I think about it, I don't even really want the playsets, just the figures that came with the sets.  I suppose getting an Ark could be cool. 

I guess it's obvious we'll see figures from the new movie, but hopefully they expand a bit on Temple of Doom and just about anything from the Last Crusade. Connery has his likeness out there with Sideshow's Bond stuff, so it shouldn't be too hard to get him on board. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
speculation
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2007, 12:51 PM »
presuming they still have the old molds. 

One thing that is known is that NONE of the original Indy tools exist anymore, so we will not be going back to the vintage tools

:P

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
speculation
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2007, 01:00 PM »
I suppose getting an Ark could be cool.

Yeah it could!  Gotta have the Ark.

Of course, if they don't do one with the Raiders stuff, they could always do one for the new movie. . .

:-X
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
speculation
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2007, 01:41 PM »

I think, that this could be a fairly-large and well-supported line. 

Seriously?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
speculation
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2007, 01:57 PM »
Seriously?

Yeah, seriously. 

Not on the same scale as Star Wars or anything, but I think it's a good sign that there will be more to this line than just a few waves of figures.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 01:58 PM by Matt »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
speculation
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2007, 02:35 PM »
presuming they still have the old molds. 

One thing that is known is that NONE of the original Indy tools exist anymore, so we will not be going back to the vintage tools

:P

You should know I never read anything Matt writes (cuz he's a prick).   :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
speculation
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2007, 04:17 PM »
Seriously?

Yeah, seriously. 

Not on the same scale as Star Wars or anything, but I think it's a good sign that there will be more to this line than just a few waves of figures.

Yeah, a few waves of figures and a truck.

You know my feelings on this line - it appeals only to collectors and we know what the result of that will be at retail.

The characters are boring as is the playset potential. 

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
speculation
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2007, 04:49 PM »
I loved the Indy movies just as I loved the Star Wars movies, but ya know what?  I could care less about a toy line.

Easy pass for me....
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
speculation
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2007, 04:54 PM »
I'm actually really looking forward to the toyline.  Like I said awhile back, as long as we got a 3 3/4" SA Indy out of it, everything else beyond that is gravy - so things are looking good.  I hope we get a good line, but I have to admit that I don't want it to get too big - unless I can suddenly find more display room.  Keeping up with Star Wars and other stuff is bad enough already - but hopefully we'll still get a healthy Indy line, there does seem to be a lot of interest.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
speculation
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2007, 05:27 PM »
I'm looking forward to this line, although I'll probably only pick up a couple figures.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
speculation
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2007, 10:35 PM »
Im just hoping I dont end up spending as much on Indy as I do on SW, which is why I am hoping i can find the control to only pick up the ones I need and not any more, main characters and maybe a german or two if they get put in plastic.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
speculation
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2007, 02:37 PM »
Yeah, a few waves of figures and a truck.

So far.  But remember, there's the new film to support, too.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if the truck is the first in a $14.99-19.99 assortment, much like what they're doing with Star Wars, which will later include a vehicle or two from the new movie.

You know my feelings on this line - it appeals only to collectors and we know what the result of that will be at retail.

The characters are boring as is the playset potential.

Can't really disagree with this, but maybe that's where Shia LaBeouf comes in, at least with the new movie.  Maybe they're thinking that he'll draw in the younger audience who saw him in Transformers.

But yeah, I can't imagine too many kids getting excited about the older stuff.  We'll see, though.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
speculation
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2007, 03:34 PM »
which will later include a vehicle or two from the new movie.

I really think we'll see a TON of stuff from the new movie.  Lucas is waaaaay better at planning for things like that now - I mean, he even gave the Jedi Starfighters costume changes in RotS (red to blue for Obi, yellow to green for Ani).  I'm sure there will be plenty of things thrown into the movie specifically for toys...  plus Adventure Indy, Indy in Inca gear, Indy in suit, Battle Damage Indy, etc etc.

As for kids, I think Lucas & Hasbro are counting on Dads showing kids the old movies either before or after going to see the new movie - that will breed a lot of interest in them.  I've also seen rumors of plans to re-release the Indy movies this winter to get the marketing machine rolling... just like they did with the OT circa 1997 to get the old stuff on the kids radar prior to TPM.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 03:35 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
speculation
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2007, 01:17 AM »
I agree, I think the marketing bonanza is going to be high...  Still, I think that a toy line can be supported by adults too...  This Indy line I think will have legs with even an adult market as its core, including vehicles.  Playsets are what they are, and not likely IMO, but I could see the German truck, German motorcycles (tan and grey), Arabian Horse(s), maybe the WW1 styled tank from TLC, possibly a Kubelwaggen or staff car...  All doable, small vehicles really, save for the tank.

Indy, I think more than other lines even, really works well with playsets...  Traps and things would work well in the playset format, but I'm just not hopeful that we'll see any with this line.

Either way I'm more than pumped to see the figures, and can't wait to pick them up.  Between wanting the line itself and the parts for customizing, it's a line I'm full into right now.

And with the military line I collect, I really hope they do things like a German bike or the German truck...  If done to-scale I'd buy multiples of both quite happily.  I can't imagine the license to this line cost what the Star Wars one did, so I think Hasbro may be able to take the gloves off and really do some nice stuff without the heavy licensing restrictions Star Wars seemingly puts into that line.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77