Author Topic: Battle of Carkoon Wave  (Read 50690 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Carkoon Wave
« Reply #225 on: December 24, 2005, 12:04 PM »
Well, I was on the fence about buying Chewie and Boba for an opener set, but after taking a close look, I picked them up anyway. Still left Barada behind though, a new paint job is a tough sell. I still haven't opened my OTC Bespin Luke.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 27, 2005, 11:17 PM »
I found a lone Bib at Target tonight, so looks like they're arriving there now.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 28, 2005, 11:17 AM »
Overall, upon opening, I have to say that this is a nicely sculpted wave and the figures are great improvements. However, and I hate to say it because I hate articulation complaints, but I think Han and Bib could have been much improved with some better articulation. Maybe we'll get VOTC versions down the line.

I still haven't opened my Chewie or Boba. For those who have all the previous versions, is the any reason? If not I'll just return them.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #228 on: December 28, 2005, 11:47 AM »
I passed on Boba, VOTC Boba kicks this one's arse

Bib's pink face bugs me.  I see what they were trying but they might have been better off with some sort of translucent paint

Han's Carbonite block bugs me, it looks way way way too small

Boussh looks great!

Chewie was left on the pegs

Barada came home, the paint washes were enough

I'm glad to see the OTC paint improvements continuing,  The Gam Guard, Tusken, Bespin Luke and Jawa are great improvements over the POTF2 versions.  If they are going to pull crap like this, at least its a step in the right direction

My one main gripe as it has always been is that they could have painted the Barada shirt yellow and called him Kithaba or maybe given him a soft goods poncho...

SilverZ

« Reply #229 on: December 28, 2005, 02:51 PM »
The Boba is probably worth getting if you're a loose completist, since he is slightly more than a kitbash. Though his upper body is still the Saga/OTC Fett with the action feature, the button has finally been retooled into an appropriate rocket, and the action feature has been kept intact. The switch to the VOTC legs actually makes little difference or improvement to the figure. He's an oddity that I'm actually happy to have. But he's no VOTC Fett, that's for sure.

I was pleasantly surprised with Barada because of the paint differences, too. They're a big improvement. Like you say, Scott, if they must continue the practice of rehashing old figures, then hopefully they'll maintain the level of paint improvement that they've done here.

Chewie flat out sucks, though. That preposed right arm, positioned in that "Uh, I have a thought if I might be so bold as to interupt the current conversation" pose just ruins the figure's versatility beyond the one-pose mechanic use he was originally designed as. It's too bad they couldn't kit bash together a "new" Chewie out of VOTC and other parts for here like Fett.

I'm torn on Han - I'm glad to have an improved Carbonite Han, like the painted dust on his shirt, and overall there's nothing wrong with the figure. He just isn't very useful. He doesn't have enough articulation to do anything other than stand at attention, and he doesn't really have any accessories to allow him to interact with other figures or in dioramas. He's just blah. And yeah, the carbonite block looks a little too narrow.

Boushh is a major improvement over the 1997 version. I'm pretty happy with her aside from the standard grip about the big shoulders. I got an opener with poorly painted hair, which kinda sucks.

Bib is a big improvement in sculpt, too, but he'll just stand in a corner unnoticed like the last version did. He looks better but he's still just a statue.

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with what we got here, in that OTC kind of way. There're some clear winners, a couple dogs, and a few that just don't have enough special "oomph" to them to really shine.

Also, I could care less about the holograms. If they had designed them, where applicable, to be posed like they were in hologram form in the movies, I'd at least be pleased to have the extra accessory. But instead I have a hologram of Sideous weilding a lightsaber, which is useless to me. As they are, they just feel gimmicky. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #230 on: December 28, 2005, 03:49 PM »
Agreed on the Holos those things suck ass

One thing I do really dig...the new figure stands!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #231 on: December 28, 2005, 06:24 PM »
After fondling Han way too much, I really hate the Carbonite Block.  Its about a Head too short and much too narrow.  Not sure why they screwed that up so bad.  The rest of the stuff is really nice though (prior complaints still hold)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 09:04 PM by Scott »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #232 on: December 28, 2005, 07:51 PM »
I found Bib and Barada tonight, and my first thoughts are, the cards look excellent.  The pink on Bib is downright silly, although I see what they were trying to do.  Barada is a good repaint, but pointless considering the variation they should have made.  I almost bought Bib because he had the Holo Vader, but I left him there.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 29, 2005, 10:42 AM »

I'm glad to see the OTC paint improvements continuing,  The Gam Guard, Tusken, Bespin Luke and Jawa are great improvements over the POTF2 versions.  If they are going to pull crap like this, at least its a step in the right direction

Funny, I totally agree, and I bought each of those figures, but I still haven't opened them, which is why I didn't pick up Barada.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 30, 2005, 01:26 PM »
Found my first Saga figure during lunch - a lone Bib Fortuna.  He wasn't on a peg, just sitting on something below the Marvel Legends.  I looked and couldn't even find a peg for where he should go.  The action figure aisle was a complete disaster.  Hopefully WM cleans it up and starts their clearance sales soon.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 30, 2005, 06:45 PM »
Let me be the first to say that the Bib fig was a HUGE letdown for me.  Its pretty much a statue.  It looks nice but there is no poseability :( 

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 31, 2005, 06:09 PM »
Well he doesnt really jump around in the movie at all.
I meen I guess hasbro messed him up, then again thats why we can customize!  :D
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 1, 2006, 02:13 PM »
Agreed- I just don't think the senators or other robed folk should have articulation that is either 1)useless due to the robes over them or 2)detracts from the look because of some other robe option like slits up the sides or whatever.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 1, 2006, 02:31 PM »
I found Wave 1 at KMart, but only bought Boussh and Han. Big disappointment on Han, but I love Boussh Leia. My only complaints are the holo figs and Leia's shortness. Is she really a head or two shorter than everyone else?
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 1, 2006, 05:16 PM »
I like the Bib Fortuna - best figure so far that's out in the SAGA line.  Leia is a close second.  But the Bib is just one hell of a sculpt, and has articulation where you need it.

:P