Author Topic: Battle of Carkoon Wave  (Read 50522 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Carkoon Wave
« Reply #75 on: October 6, 2005, 10:44 AM »
I could give a damn about the holo figures, unless of course there is a mini Vader, Leia or Nute Gunray/Rune Haako.  All the others are kinda pointless to me.

The figures themselves look very sharp. 

Leia - Beautiful looking sculpt, and way overdue.  I'm so glad they are finally remaking this figure.

Han - Boring outfit but one that is necessary in my opinion.  Looks like he has good articulation.  I want about 5-6 of these at least to open, for a Bespin Chamber diorama, Jabba's Palace, on a Skiff, an Endor custom and probably another custom or two.

Bib Fortuna - Wow!  Can't wait for this.  Looks like they finally got this character right.

Boba Fett repack - Eh, probably pass.

Skiff Guard repack - Might get one for the hell of it.

Chewbacca repack - Will get one, his paint job looks great.

:P

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #76 on: October 6, 2005, 11:18 AM »
Wow.  These packages are very cool. The best we've seen so far.  The ROTS like movie photo really makes them pop. The new figures look great too.  I've already decided that I won't "collect" the Holo figures, but I do feel bad for comlpetists.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 6, 2005, 11:35 AM »
Hmmm.  I think that the packaging is really growing on me - that oddly shaped bubble isn't too bad.

As for the holo figures, randomly packing them is seriously going to piss off a lot of people.  But as long as I a carded version of each figure, I don't really care which holo fig comes with it.

I plan to display the new figures loose too, which probably means I'll want the holo figures loose too.  Oh great. 

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 6, 2005, 11:58 AM »
I wouldnt doubt that certain figs will have certain holos and not random.  I dont know if anyone remembers the Freeze Frames a few years back.  Hasbro originally said the figs would be packaged with various Freeze Frames of that character and it never panned out.

The Chewie looks like the mechanic version with either a new head or the paint makes it appear so.

The Fetts paint app I like, but how many SAGA Fetts are they going to release.

The Han seems to have the POTJ Death Star Escape head with a new body possibly. 

Barada is lame.  It would of been simple to repaint similar to the Vintage version.

Boussh looks the best IMO.  But it looks like she has no neck with the helmet removed.

The Bib turned out good as well but still looks like the POTF2 body with a new head and some added articulation in the arms.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2005, 12:00 PM by Jim (Rebeltrader) »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #79 on: October 6, 2005, 01:09 PM »
Wow! These look fantastic! I love the packaging, even though I have turned into a loose collector over the last year, I'll be picking up the repacks carded. Unless I hate the repack. I'm glad I ditched the completeist in me, picking up all the various combinations of Holo pack-ins would get ridiculous.

I really wish they would have resculpted Barada, or at least added some articulation.

The Chewie almost looks all new, it looks like he has ball jointed elbows.

Is it too early to say that the SAGA Fett will be the next Cantina Han? ::)

Boussh, Han, and Bib look fan-freakin-tastic. I really hope that all the new figures are that quality or better.
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 6, 2005, 01:43 PM »
From what I can tell, the Han head is all new.  It's definitely not the POTJ Death Star Escape Han's head.  And the Chewbacca looks like a straight repaint of the POTJ Mechanic Chewbacca figure.

It looks like Chewbacca, Barada and Fett are straight up rehashes with some repainting done.  The other three look entirely new.  But the carbonite block looks way too small (in my opinion at least).

:P
« Last Edit: October 6, 2005, 01:44 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 6, 2005, 03:30 PM »
Well, I'll probably get Chewie now (the Wookiee, not the customizer) since it's not a POTF2 Boussh's Bounty version with a metal chain.  It looks to be in scale, accurate, and it has a metal chain.  So, I'll be more than happy to buy a nice pointless rehash as opposed to a poor pointless rehash. 

Han, Leia, and Bib are all no-brainers.  Fett, probably, just because I've been one of those Fett lemmings since I was a wee lad.  Barada, though, is going to be a pegwarmer of limitless potential.  I think the only thing he has working for him is that he's an OT figure; if he was from a Prequel, we would have our early candidate for the "Neimoidian Warrior Memorial Pegwarmer of the Year" Award.

The mini-holograms?  Meh.  As long as there is a ESB-posed Vader, a TMP Nute Gunray and Rune Haako, and a ROTS Anakin/Vader at some point, I'll be happy.  Holographic Cantina Han?  Not so much. :)

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #82 on: October 6, 2005, 03:35 PM »
Is it too early to say that the SAGA Fett will be the next Cantina Han? ::)

No, it is not too early.  And yes it will be. 
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 6, 2005, 04:26 PM »
These look awesome! I'll probaly only get Barada in this wave. I don't care what Holo figure I get, as long as I get one.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #84 on: October 6, 2005, 04:35 PM »
Wow, nice pics! I like the back of the cards, but I still think the angled bottom looks stooopid. As everyone already said, the mini holos will be awesome for Sidious, Vader, Grievous, Cody, and other characters who have appeared, or plausibly would appear, as holos. But Holo Carbonite Han, or Holo Bib, or Holo Wicket? Cool as gimmicks I guess, but don't Need them by any stretch of the imagination.

Barada -- will buy unless he's incredibly lame in person. Are we sure he's new? Looks a lot like the POTF2/TRU multipack version.

Bib Fortuna -- still not a fan of the open-mouth scowl (would have preferred a more neutral expression) but I don't have the POTF2 Bib so I should grab this.

Boba -- the last Boba I have is 1995 POTF2, so I think he's due for an upgrade. ;) And from what I can tell, the Saga/OTC version really isn't a bad figure. I dig the flame base, too.

Boushh -- undecided. Will buy only if there's any $$$ left after I buy other stuff I want.

Chewie -- I already have that figure (purchased when it was on Saga1 Hall of Fame card) so I don't need this unless the chain turns out to be really cool. Glad they went with this version instead of the ROTS Chewie.

Han -- OK figure I guess, but just boring. Probably pass.

So, three Yes, two Pass, and one Undecided.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2005, 05:46 PM by #61 Senator Dork »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 6, 2005, 04:56 PM »
As everyone already said, the mini holos will be awesome for Sidious, Vader, Grievous, Cody... Cool as gimmicks I guess, but don't Need them by any stretch of the imagination.

As a daddy to the most beautiful daughter in the world (ask anyone, it's true  ;)), I can see opening the figures being a daddy-daughter event.  Daddy gets the figure, daughter gets the holo.  Should be fun.   8)

Since the holos are a freebie, I'm not too concerned about them (which ones I get or if I get them all).  It's the same thing as the Freeze Frames and Force Files, just freebies.  However, that being said, I can still feel for the completists - if they really are randomly packed, it's going to be a big headache.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #86 on: October 6, 2005, 05:04 PM »
Despite how out of touch they seem to be with collectors, I doubt Hasbro would be boneheaded enough to randomly pack the holos. Furious hordes would storm Hasbro HQ and beat the doors in.

« Last Edit: October 6, 2005, 05:06 PM by #61 Senator Dork »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 6, 2005, 05:41 PM »
Ooh, I like! I'm definately getting the new figures, as well as the Skiff Guard. I'll wait and see more pics of Chewie before making a decision though. Boba is a definate pass, unless it was a VOTC rerelease, which it isn't.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 6, 2005, 06:55 PM »
It's about time we got some pictures! The sculpts look pretty solid, but it i'm concerned that they're cutting back on the articulation.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 6, 2005, 07:07 PM »
HASBRO ANNOUNCES MINI-HOLOGRAM PLANS FOR 2006 SAGA COLLECTION

Pawtucket, R.I. (AP):  Hasbro Toys, Inc., maker of such legendary action toys as M.A.S.K. and Visionairies, announced that it intends to include randomly packaged "holographic" mini-figures in its 2006 Star Wars "Saga Collection" basic action figure line.

"Fans have been going crazy for hologram figures in the last year," Crack Smoking Monkey #12 told the AP in an exclusive statement.  "We love to do hologram figures, and by randomly packing them in action figures, it will be like trading cards!  Gotta catch 'em all!"

When asked what characters would be made available in this soon-to-be-legendary offering, Hasbro stated that they were not just sticking to the films for their mini hologram figures.  "First of all, we will be doing the main characters like Anakin, Spock, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, and Rerun, but we also intend on doing some 'lesser known' characters as holograms, like Wicket the Ewok, Random Cantina Alien #43, and Al Bundy." 

Hasbro also stated that there would be a "rare chase hologram" that would be inserted in a random figure in one out of every 37 cases.  "We really think that the fans are going to love this concept, because it's going to put the fun back into Star Wars collecting!  Yay us!  We is brilliant!"

In an unrelated story, a Southern California shopping mall fell into a state of shock when a young man's head exploded.  This young man, whose name is not being released at press time, was sitting at an internet cafe posting on an internet message board when his head suddenly became engulfed in flames.

"It were the weirdest thing I done seen" said a local miscreant wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with the phrase "EBAY PAYS MY TUITION."  The man continued, "As soon as his head exploded, Elvis done come out of the penny fountain and took his body into a spaceship.  If I hadn't seen it with my own eye, I never woulda believed it.  Can I have my 10 dollars now?"

BREAKING NEWS:  The gentlemen who suffered the cranial explosion has since been identified by the name "Matt."  More on this story as it develops.