Author Topic: Battle of Carkoon Wave  (Read 50517 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Carkoon Wave
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2005, 09:37 AM »
Bib: Yay! Not a huge fan of his expression, but the body sculpt looks fantastic.

Boushh: Meh. Could go either way. The POTF2/SOTE version still suits me adequately.

Han-sicle: Even more meh. The glowy effect looks cool though.

Maybe they used the part of the movie where Bib smiles or almost laughs there at one part for almost no reason.  Anyone know what I am talking about?  I will have to look at it again to get the correct spot he unleashes the pearly whites. 

I am just glad they did something newer and not just a flat out repaint.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2005, 12:14 PM »
Bib is probably the most deserved resculpt so i am very happy to get him. Leia as well, i just hope this one doesnt have a molded thermal detonator in her hand. The Han i guess is an interesting concept, but not toally necessary, but i will take it none the less. I really hope that 2006 brings us some obscure characters, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MAKE YARNA DA"L GARGAN HASBRO!!!!!!!!
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2005, 12:38 PM »
They could also be wanting to make him look more menacing, and thinking kids might like that more... the vintage Bib Fortuna kind of have a similar expression, didn't it?

Morbug, I think we're looking at a new sculpt on the carbonite block.

For those that don't like the carbonite block with the red, maybe buy a second one, (would be nice to have a second of that Han after all, put the POTJ Bespin Han on it and you might have a decent Endor Han), you could probably paint the carbon block to look like it's still fresh and frozen.   ;)

:P
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 12:56 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2005, 12:47 PM »
Nice looking figures so far...  I see angle-cut articulation at Han's elbows, and I'd wager wrist articulation.  Can't make out anything on the legs (ball/socket knees would be so nice, but somehow I'm not holding my breath for that).  The figure looks good though and he was one of my top resculpts probably, as are 99% of the Han Solo figures out there really.  :)

Bib Fortuna...  Looks like a POTF2 head to me, but whatever.  He always was a sorta "senator" figure.  Stands there, does little, looks weird...  Looks nice with all the layers though, compared to his POTF2 sculpted cousin.  It's amazing how separate pieces alone can make a figure look lightyears ahead in quality.  He looks dull though, and really he is/was dull the first time around.  Irregardless of that though, Bib was on my resculpt list too.  Lots of stuff is on my resculpt list though.

Boussh Leia...  Sweeeeeet...  By the helmet's look, and the fact it only makes sense, I'm assuming it's removable.  Looks like removable bandoleir too, and the hunting rifle has never been better looking.  Nice stuff there.  But I also notice at least a lotta articulation at the legs.  That's Leia Boussh you can have kicking some ass prior to her appearance at Jabba's Palace I guess. :)  Hope she comes with a Thermal Detonator (I didn't see one, maybe missed it).  Nice stuff there, best of the lot it seems to me.

On the stands...  I like them a lot.  I wish I had vintage stands like that actually.  I'm putting a shelving display together for my loose vinty's and a series of stands like that with their name (and oh man I can only imagine the variations being listed too, hehe) would be ideal for what I'm doing.  They're a lot better than those interlocking "Star Wars" stands, I must say.

Good stuff there.  Yay!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2005, 04:22 PM »
The question that I have right now is whether or not the carbonite block is a solid piece, or at the very least has an "opening back door" so Han can be put inside the block.  I was not all that fond of the POTF2 carbonite block being backless, so I'm hoping they will actually either make it opening or a solid piece this time around.

The stands look like they could be really cool, but I'm hoping they'll do the film logos in the style of the Episode I, II, and III logos they used for the Wisdom Yoda doll instead of those horribly stylized ones they used for the VHS releases a few years back.  The simple typeface with "EPISODE VI: RETURN OF THE JEDI" to me is a lot more elegant than the whizz-bang of that horribly blocky "RETURN OF THE JEDI" logo. 

Of course, these stands will probably last six months before Hasbro decides it is too much effort to do individual stands and reverts to a generic "STAR WARS" stand once again.  When it comes to extras, they always start off strong, but after a bit of time passes, they start to get lazy. 

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2005, 05:24 PM »
One little nit to pick...every Carkoon Han has been sculpted with a tucked in shirt.  I was hoping that they'd finally notice that his shirt was untucked and sculpt it that way.

Also.  I think the stands are fine.  But I would have like more "environment" stands.  How hard could a sandy floor be?  If they did them right, they could be painted white for Hoth and reddish brown for Geonosis.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2005, 04:35 PM »
I hope for a slicked back post freeze head and an ESB/ROTJ Blow Dried looking head as well

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2005, 06:23 PM »
From Rebelscum:

Battle of Carkoon from Episode VI will include 6 figures

as an added bonus, each Saga2 figure will inlcude a bonus holographic mini figure.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2005, 09:10 AM »
I'm actually pretty excited about this wave, and about this line in general.  I enjoy resculpts more than many I think, mainly because I think figure quality (overall) has come a long way since the POTF2 days.  Many, if not most, of those figures could be made to look much better now.  As long as they can mix these in with the repacks they want to do, and add in some all new figures now and then, I'm a happy camper.  Now, back to this wave in particular, these are three figures (the new ones) that I'm quite happy to see.  I've wanted a nice, modern Carbonite Han, and from the small pic it looks pretty good.  Leia Boussh has always been high on my list as well, and I always thought that was a cool version of the character.  I'm sure the helmet will be removable, at least I would hope so.  If it was in the vintage figure even, it sure as heck should/will be now.  Bib Fortuna is an obvious choice for a resculpt, and I'm glad that we're getting him.  It is too bad we're getting more repacks in this (and future) waves, but I guess it isn't unexpected.  If it is a 50/50ish mix, that's much better than what we got for the OTC.  Plus, from the rumors online there is scheduled to be 56 figures over 8 waves next year...and a few repacks means a little less to buy...and a little easier on the checkbook.  So that's ok with me.  As much as I like the clones and everything, I'm ready for some OT Product pretty soon.  Hopefully we'll get clearer pics of this wave soon...although I will say that the best pics I've seen have been right here at JD.  Great work everyone.

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2005, 05:34 PM »
Okay, so according to Rebelscum, We're also getting Chewbacca, Boba Fett, and Barada in the Battle Of Carkoon wave. Do you guys think these will be repaints/tweaks, or do you suppose they'll just rehash/repaint?

If they do rehash/repaint, here's o hoping Boba and chewie get their VOTC versions rehashed.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2005, 05:35 PM »
I'm guessing Boba will be the Saga Carkoon version with the flaming jetpack stand.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2005, 07:19 PM »
Well if those are the other 3 figures in the wave, looks like another year without my Yarna  >:( :-[
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2005, 07:30 PM »
Yes, Yarna would be a nice choice.  I kind of wonder if that one will ever be made.  I wish they would throw out a yellow jacket Weequay to.  But that probably won't be the case either.  We might get a Jabba's Palace Ishi Tib someday since they at least have the head mold.  Maybe. 

Sgt Doallyn would have been nice.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2005, 08:00 PM »
How about a Sarlaac Pit playset? Would anybody else be interested in one? Nothing too big or fancy, just the big ditch with some teeth, tentacles, and the giant beak (the tentacles and beak are articulated). Also allow an area for figures to "stand."

I think this could easily be done for less thatn $30 and smaller than the Mustafar playset. And it would probably sell.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2005, 11:45 PM »
That could be cool. Like the MicroMachines Sarlacc mini playset, only bigger obviously.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 01:30 AM by Valin Kenobi »