Author Topic: Battle of Carkoon Wave  (Read 50698 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Battle of Carkoon Wave
« Reply #240 on: January 1, 2006, 05:33 PM »
I think the Bib is nice too CHEWIE.  I've heard some complaints, but as a Senator-ish figure I'm cool with him from pics I've seen.  Leia's better IMO, and Han's the waves let-down considering how he was real involved in action in that costume but got the shaft on articulation.

I love Fortuna's belt feature to hide his dagger too, that's just a nice little extra.  Not sure on the paint/headsculpt till I get it though and that's where I hear more complaints than anything else.  Articulation, short of some elaborate cloth work, wasn't ever something I thought we'd get with him and for a figure like that, it doesn't bother me much...  A Jedi though?  They just need to either have Agen Kolar's robes or some good cloth ones (Evo Anakin's are perfect).  No two ways about it IMO.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Straight up rocket scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 1, 2006, 11:17 PM »
Let me be the first to say that the Bib fig was a HUGE letdown for me.  Its pretty much a statue.  It looks nice but there is no poseability :( 

I agree and I think that maybe there is a little too much "material" (twileki fat) under his chin?  Meh, it's okay but I was expecting a little better.
If you vote for me all of your wildest dreams will come true.  Thank you.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #242 on: January 1, 2006, 11:49 PM »
I'm hearing weird stuff about the arms (I haven't looked at him too closely).  Are the shoulders not poseable?  If that's the case, man that really sucks ball to be perfectly blunt.  I'm cool witht he legs being a uni-pod, what witht he robes and all, but the arms are about the only part of the figure Hasbro had almost an obligation to focus on.  I mean, look at Mas Ameda for criminy sake. :)  That figure has better arm articulation than most classic trilogy army builder figures and still had leg articulation.  That's pretty impressive for a dull chunk of plastic.  I'd think old Lobster Bib could have had arms that good... 

The neck fat is what I'd heard most gripes about.  I thought the face was off...  Passable to me, but not spot-on likeness like we'd all enjoy I'm sure.  If the arms are not poseable though, this may as well have just been a PVC figure you could get for $.99 then.

Still love that knife in the belt though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 2, 2006, 12:08 AM »
The shoulders are articulated, it's just hard to move them... you have to move the forearm in order to move it, and getting the shoulders in the right position takes some time.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 2, 2006, 01:19 AM »
The arms are articulated at the elbows and wrists - there is some shoulder articulation too, but the robe covers most of it.  I've got three of this figure so far and customized two of them.  A great overall figure for a Jabba's Palace diorama and sweet custom fodder in my opinion.

Still a great figure - anyone who disagrees, that's your right - feel free to stick to that 1996 sculpt.

:P

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Straight up rocket scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 2, 2006, 08:24 AM »
The arms are articulated at the elbows and wrists - there is some shoulder articulation too, but the robe covers most of it. 

There is bicep articulation on my figure as well, right where the arm meets the robe, it rotates 360 degrees.  This is in addition to the shoulder, elbow, and wrist.
If you vote for me all of your wildest dreams will come true.  Thank you.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #246 on: January 3, 2006, 08:35 AM »
Does anyone's Carbonite Han Block stand up with out assistance?

I would have liked a flat bottom on it so I don't have to prop it up with something or lean it against the back of the display case in order to display him.   >:(
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 3, 2006, 10:32 AM »
Aside from happening across a Leia, Bib, and Barada on Christmas Eve, there hasn't been any sign of these in town since then.  I am happy I found what I did, but was really hoping to get the Han (and Chewie) as well.  I guess it isn't so bad with the ROTS line over and done with now, only have 2 figures to look for.  I could use to slow down the spending the way it is.  I haven't opened anything yet, but Leia and Bib both look pretty nice to me too...the Leia in Boussh figure is one I've been hoping we'd see re-done for awhile now.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 3, 2006, 10:38 AM »

I would have liked a flat bottom on it so I don't have to prop it up with something or lean it against the back of the display case in order to display him.   >:(

Mine has been able to stand on it's own, but a weak breath is all it takes to knock it over. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Bobafett77

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 3, 2006, 11:42 AM »

I would have liked a flat bottom on it so I don't have to prop it up with something or lean it against the back of the display case in order to display him. >:(

I can't get mine to stand on it's own to save my life! They should have made it so it could attach to the stand in some way.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2006, 11:44 AM by Bobafett77 »

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #250 on: January 5, 2006, 08:02 PM »
The sculpts on these new figures are excellent.  While I don't usually moan about articulation, Han's legs seem so out of date.  It really is a shame that they don't bend.  He would have been a top notch  figure if they had.  I'm fine with Bib's limited articulation, he never really did mutch but caress (ewww)  R2.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #251 on: January 6, 2006, 03:54 AM »
I got my first Saga figure tonight.  Good old Lobster Bib Fortuna...

Sculpt, fantastic...  Paintjob's pretty great too, I don't see much complaint there that I've been reading...

I do now see what people meant about the articulation though, and to say it's overly critical is not something I agree with.  To me, Hasbro could have definitely done this figure's arm articulation justice by making the shoulders swivel.  I think, had I designed him, the first fold on the back of each arm would have been slit, as would have the first fold on the front, and the plastic would have been a more flexible PVC.  This would have allowed a shoulder joint under the robe, and for the arms to pose forward and back.  This would have made the figure more passable...  As he stands though, you're basically getting one solid piece of plastic that is sculpted nicely but lacks as a toy which it ultimately is at the end of the day.

I'm not a fan of the gaping jaw sorta "duh" look on his face too...  It's not horrible though and I think pictures make it look worse than it is.  The belt knife bit is great...  Fantastic little detail.

And yeah his neck nads are weird...  Not sure they were so pronounced but whatever.

Great paintjob IMO, even on the head/face.  I see lots of layers, lots of fading/color changes.  That's a lot of work really.

I have to say I'm not really upset, but I do think Hasbro's capable of more creative thinking to make a figure poseable that's limited by such robes.  It's all about expecting more though for your $.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #252 on: January 6, 2006, 04:32 AM »
I can't just bring myself to buy him yet.  Apparently other people can't either, since he's sitting, but then that's at Target, where they're all sitting.  The paint job on all the ones I've seen have been very off, too, though I can see what they were trying to do in the layering.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #253 on: January 7, 2006, 03:01 AM »
By my own rules he's not a pegwarmer yet, but man he's on his way it seems. :)  He's about the only Saga figure to be found, and he's definitely around.  Saw 3 last night at WM, now there's 3 at KM...  Other stuff's gone, but captain neck nads is there.

Offline Clone On Fire

• Youngling
  • Blaze of Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 7, 2006, 08:49 AM »
By my own rules he's not a pegwarmer yet, but man he's on his way it seems. :)  He's about the only Saga figure to be found, and he's definitely around.  Saw 3 last night at WM, now there's 3 at KM...  Other stuff's gone, but captain neck nads is there.

I would have thought before these 6 figures were released that Chewbacca would sit (let's face it, he's too short and not the best sculpt, plus he's a repack) and Barada would sit.  And I thought that Fett would sell well just because he always does.  Han, Bib, and Leia are new sculpts so I thought they'd sell well.

I too see a nice brick of Bib forming.  He was the first one I bought, and I didn't buy any other figures in the wave until 2 weeks later, and that was Leia and Han.

Predicting pegwarmers is a tough business.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2006, 08:56 AM by Clone On Fire »
They cannot conquer forever!