Author Topic: Anyone else clean up the SW toy sections?  (Read 6990 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Anyone else clean up the SW toy sections?
« on: April 27, 2003, 01:56 AM »
I'm a freak.  I love to clean and organize stuff.  I also love to collect SW figures.  Add those 3 things together, and you get a total nutjob who enjoys "cleaning up" the Star Wars sections in the toy aisles at most of his favorite local stores!   :P   :-[

Since things are usually in such a state of disarray in the toy aisles, I like to get all the SW stuff organized and consolidated in a nice, neat, concise fashion.  I'll put all the figures together, and even in such a way that the kids favorite characters are on the lower pegs, and collector favs are higher up.  I also try to keep a different figure (and the most popular ones) at the front of each peg.  If there's not too many figures at all, I'll get them all consolidated onto just a peg or two, so the toy manager can see all the extra room to put out new product!   :)

Then I usually organize the rest of the stuff - Deluxe, 12", ships, lightsabers, etc.  Of course, I'm not a total idiot - I only do this if no one else is around...   :D  I guess I figure if I can keep things easy to browse through, and nicely displayed, it might entice some folks to take a gander and purchase some of those nasty pegwarmers I so despise...

So... Anyone else do this?  Anyone else a wacko like me?   8)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else clean up the SW toy sections?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2003, 02:23 AM »
Nope. Your the only wacko.  :-*  

When I go to the toy section & rummage around for what I am looking for, I always leave the stuff in the same condition that I found them in if not better.
When I go through the pegs figure by figure, there is always the few that just fall off. I don't leave them there were they fell, I put them back onto the pegs. Even if I take a hole row or empty a shelve trying to find that Mint item, I always return them to there place.

Now I don't go to the extreme like you do Matt, but even if there is nothing that I need & there are figures laying on the shelve or floor, I put them back onto the pegs.  

The stores that I go to usually peg the figures by character so it makes it more easy to hunt & put them away & yes when there is no one around.  ;)

I get this feeling Matt that you & I should work part time as a shelf stocker.   ;D

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2003, 10:45 AM »
Actually when I go to a store I have always found myself picking up the Star Wars, LOTR, TMNT, Simpson toys and placing them back on the pegs and whatnot. I also have the wak-e-ness to push all the figures on the pegs back. Usually the figures stay like this for many days to weeks, depending on the stock crews. Sometimes the next time I come in the pegs are restocked but with peg warmers.

I like things organized. I would never organize someone's home or anything but in a store, I do it all the time.
You are right, things are usually in such a state of disarray in the toy aisles that people look at it and do not even give it a second look.

So no JediMac, you are not the only wacko. I tend to do that same as you.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Jango Fettish

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2003, 11:23 AM »
I went to SuperTarget this past Wednesday and consolidated and organized the SW figure pegs, come back the next day, find 2 x Aayla Secura, 2 x Yoda + Chian, 1 x Ashla + Jempa, 1 x Blonde I.O, 1 x Red Battle Droid, and 1 x Lama Su w/ Clone Youth. NO joke!

Gotta say, helping out does pay off!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2003, 11:28 AM by Jango Fettish »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2003, 10:37 PM »
Also a tidier-upper.  I cannot abide the Walmart mentality, or so I call it.  Plow through the store knocking everything down and leaving it where it falls.  Also known as hot-wheels-itis.  

Absolutely gotta rearrange stuff.  Star Wars in particular, but whatever is surrounding it.  Now that I am collecting Simpsons, SW, McFarlane, Marvel Legends and Spidey stuff, that covers a good chunk of the section.  I like to pick up MOTU stuff for people on the boards, if I know what they are looking for.  

I categorically will not touch Yu-Gi-Oh, Power Rangers or any of that other crap.  It doesn't sell and I ain't going to make it look good.  I want it out OUT OUT!!!  It's taking up precious retail space.  Aaargh.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 2, 2003, 11:28 AM »
Matt, the whole reason I started the Pegwarmer of the Year thread was because I had just finished reorganizing the Wal-Mart toy section so management could tell how ridiculously unbalanced their Star Wars selections were. I'm SO glad I'm not the only one.

Neater is better, but it's not a compulsion for me. It's just something I need to do or I'll die.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2003, 02:13 PM by MisterPL »
Post sober.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 2, 2003, 12:10 PM »
Guilty as charged here, too.  I think I might go even one step further by putting all the same figures on a single peg.  I know other people who do it, too.

First, it makes it easier to know what's there.  No need to go rifling through the pegs.  Second, it's easier to notice when something new has come in.  That stuff will be right up front.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2003, 09:27 PM »
Quite amusing really, but I seem to be "battling" some local Target employees over their Star Wars toy sections!  Whenever I visit my 4 local Targets, I continue to consolidate their small handful of figures onto the two bottom most pegs (about 4 or 5 deep).  But the Target employees (I assume) continue to redistribute these same exact figures around all 8 or 12 of the Star Wars figure pegs!  Kind of a fun back-and-forth game really, and hopefully an annoying one for them!    ;D

I just keep hoping that they'll get the hint that they've got a ton of potential empty pegs that they could/should restock with some NEW figures.  It's happened once or twice, but it's not quite becoming the norm just yet...

Of course I'm still cleaning up everything else in the SW sections (at all the different stores) as well!   ;D

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2003, 09:33 PM »
Sorry guys, that's just odd.
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2003, 10:20 PM »
Hey I have tried this in my area as well.  No such luck unfortunately :(

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2003, 10:23 PM »
I might consider it if there was a SINGLE figure on the pegs (at Target).

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2003, 12:44 AM »
I'll pick stuff up off the floor, but only if it's a line I collect. I also put figures that are sitting on top of vehicles back on the pegs as well. I'll try to put rarer figures on the front of the pegs or stash 'em for fellow collectors.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2003, 03:49 AM »
Here's what I do -
Put all the spread out figures on the same pegs, so the pegs with 1 or 2 figures on them end up being together. 15 pegs get narrowed down to about 6... Then, to top it off, I put all the Darth Vaders in front. Yea, it's pretty sad of me, but they refuse to re-order new boxes, so I keep putting them back on the same pegs.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2004, 04:11 AM »
So my little cleaning and organizing tendencies (of the SW toy section) seem to have evolved over the past year, mostly out of pure aggrivation.  I still consolidate the few remaining figures onto the fewest possible pegs, and line up all the vehicles or other random sets nicely...  But the oft-bare pegs have put me at a frustration level that is rather counterproductive as far as cleaning up the SW figure section.

Now, since the wall is usually completely bare, what I'll do - mostly to draw the store's attention to their otherwise empty wall and wasted retail space - is create a giant pyramid of random crap all the way up the wall.  I'll pull all the empty pegs down and set them on the shelf (like 12 or so).  Then I'll just start stacking crap up.  Start with the lightsabers, ships, cup sets, etc.  Then I'll grab some of the stuff lying around from the other toy lines and add it on into the madness.  I guess the display varies from day to day, depending on my artistic abilities of any given day.

Sometimes it's a giant pyramid, and sometimes the project winds up as a giant symmetrical box stacking - ala SW Jenga if you will.  Always fun, and I'm sure the end product is certainly an eyecatcher to shoppers and employees alike.  I suppose it does pose a danger to any kid who might want to take a yank at a box at the bottom of the pile...  But since we all know that kids don't go anywhere near the SW section in the toy aisles anyway, there's really nothing to worry about.

So...  Who else does whacky $h!t like this?  I can't really be the only one, right?  Probably best not to answer that...   :P

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2004, 10:12 AM »
So my little cleaning and organizing tendencies (of the SW toy section) seem to have evolved over the past year, mostly out of pure aggrivation.  I still consolidate the few remaining figures onto the fewest possible pegs, and line up all the vehicles or other random sets nicely...  But the oft-bare pegs have put me at a frustration level that is rather counterproductive as far as cleaning up the SW figure section.

Now, since the wall is usually completely bare, what I'll do - mostly to draw the store's attention to their otherwise empty wall and wasted retail space - is create a giant pyramid of random crap all the way up the wall.  I'll pull all the empty pegs down and set them on the shelf (like 12 or so).  Then I'll just start stacking crap up.  Start with the lightsabers, ships, cup sets, etc.  Then I'll grab some of the stuff lying around from the other toy lines and add it on into the madness.  I guess the display varies from day to day, depending on my artistic abilities of any given day.

Sometimes it's a giant pyramid, and sometimes the project winds up as a giant symmetrical box stacking - ala SW Jenga if you will.  Always fun, and I'm sure the end product is certainly an eyecatcher to shoppers and employees alike.  I suppose it does pose a danger to any kid who might want to take a yank at a box at the bottom of the pile...  But since we all know that kids don't go anywhere near the SW section in the toy aisles anyway, there's really nothing to worry about.

So...  Who else does whacky $h!t like this?  I can't really be the only one, right?  Probably best not to answer that...   :P

So basically, you’ve been messing with the employee’s heads? Stress them out, engage in psychological warfare to get the product you need onto the shelves? A little battle royale of the wills to see who can outwit, outplay and outlast the competition? Who will be the sole survivor!?!

You may have more serious problems than lack of Star Wars toys, Matt. There may be more at stake here, like your very soul. Have you noticed this little gem down the aisle from the toys at Target?

Your burst appendix doesn’t look so innocent now, does it? Dude, you’ve got to either quit while you’re ahead or pick one of these kits up yourself so you can fight back! Don’t take this laying down! Take it to the next level!

And get some new Star Wars toys on those pegs so I can buy them next time I’m in LA.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life