Author Topic: "Evolutions" assortment...  (Read 176321 times)

SilverZ

Re: "Evolutions" assortment...
« Reply #435 on: August 18, 2005, 10:40 PM »
Wow. 54.99? That's some scalpy love from SWS there.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 19, 2005, 10:31 AM »
Sith & Clone/Stormtrrooper now available… a little spendy though

http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=104136;category_id=;pcid1=;pcid2=

Did everyone notice the last line of that page?

"With more Evolutions series planned, start your collection today with this great bundled pair available now!"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 19, 2005, 10:40 AM »

http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=104136;category_id=;pcid1=;pcid2=

"With more Evolutions series planned, start your collection today with this great bundled pair available now!"

Further evidence that the SW shop doesn't know anything about the product they're selling.

BTW, Newforcecomics is selling the Clone/Sith set for retail plus shipping.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 19, 2005, 12:39 PM »
Grabbed the Sith and Clone sets at WalMart last night.

These two sets are GREAT!

The only complaint I have is that the removeable clone helmets are made from the same soft plastic they've made all removeable clone helmets from. I would prefer that the helmet be more sturdy.

The Darth Maul robe looks ridiculous, but that doesn't matter at all to me, I'm never going to display him with it. The interesting thing about Maul is that they put a plug-hole for a lightsaber on his belt, but didn't make his dual blade lightsaber w/removable blades and a pin to fit that hole.

I looked all around the packaging to make sure I didn't miss the blade-less saber, but it's not in there. Odd.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 19, 2005, 02:01 PM »
As I mentioned in the finds thread, I found the Sith and Clone sets at a local WM earlier today, and overall, I am extremely pleased with the sets as a whole. 

The Clone set is just amazing, and I really hope that the running change on these sets are shipped in cases by themselves (or at least with more of these colors) because these are just great.  I honestly can't think of a single complaint with them, since the lack of waist joints on two of the three figures don't really bother me at all.  This is top notch quality work from Hasbro (did I say that out loud?) and everyone should get one.

The Sith set's only sore points with me are Maul (in general) and Dooku's cape.  I don't know if this is just mine or not, but Dooku's cape wasn't sewn together at the hem (the bottom) and as such, he has what amounts to two separate capes (one dark, one light) instead of one (think of the stitching on the VOTC and POTJ Landos and you'll see what I mean).  My mother the sewing queen, however, states that she can fix this easily, so Dooku will be making my next trip home with me. :)

Maul, however, falls short in so many areas it's not even funny.  First of all, the cape is just laughably bad when you have it on him.  Not even the photos do this monstrosity justice.  And since Maul has this evil grin, it is guaranteed to induce laughter in British Palace Guards.  This is also easily remedied by throwing the Episode I Sith accessory pack cloth cloak on him (which I haven't done yet), but the lightsaber is what gets me.  Not only is it seemingly a straight reissue of the lightsaber included with the Episode I Jedi Duel Maul from 1999 (meaning it's way too short and has no "flare" at the emitter discs), but like Pete said, there is a hole on his belt for a hilt, but no lightsaber hilt to hang on it, nor are the blades of the 1999 lightsaber removable.  And then there is the lack of ball-jointed elbows, which in my mind there is no excuse for other than Hasbro intentionally holding back so they can throw a truly SA Maul into the "Battle of Naboo" wave next year.  Shame, Hasbro, shame.   :P

That being said, though, he's still the best Maul they've done, and the Dooku is also top notch.  Palpatine, though, is the winner in this set and again, photos do not do this guy justice (not a knock on your skills, Jared, but this is truly a figure you have to see in person to appreciate fully).  A cane he can hold (a first for modern Palpatines, I think), a lightsaber, hands with the lightning attached instead of the usual "sleeve lightning", and a soft goods cloak with an adjustable hood?  BEST.  PALPATINE.  EVER.  And I honestly don't think that there is a way that Hasbro could possibly top this.  It is the definitive Emperor/Darth Sidious figure and save a SA Senate Battle Palpatine/Sidious, no other Palpatine need be made ever again.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 19, 2005, 05:18 PM »
Maybe I'll luck out and find them one day, since I'm continuing to go to
the WalMarts on the wrong nights. But since the clones are in 3 different waves ..perhaps I'll see one ..hopefully. >:( :( :'(

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 19, 2005, 09:53 PM »
Anakin Set at OMGCNFO

I'm going to be searching the stores this weekend for the Clone and Sith sets...
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 20, 2005, 11:38 AM »
Found 2 Clones last night but the other 2 in the case were Anakins not the Sith  :'( 
I need to find 3 more, 1 for my son, and 2 for fellow collectors, and then 1 Sith set for me.
Overall, I love my open set of Clones. The chin thing is annoying to me, and I do miss the waist articulation, but overall I am extremely happy with them!
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 20, 2005, 11:50 AM »

Yes, I hope there are actually more of these sets planned and not just the ones we know about. 

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 20, 2005, 02:07 PM »
I   think it would be cool to see a : Queen of Naboo evo set from Amidala, jamilla (ep2) to the ep3 queen;
Then a Padme set from ep1, 2 and 3 - though deciding which outfit to use would be very hard;
as has been stated before an obi-wan evo set padawan, master and old ben;
c-3p0 from ep1,    ep2 and finally polished.
Then the only other major character who really evolves is Luke from farm boy (ep4), bespin or dagobah (ep5) to finally jedi luke (ep6).
Naturally all of these need to have superb articulation, very good likenesses and a fair amount of accessories.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #445 on: August 21, 2005, 03:17 AM »
Thanks to our own JediMAC, I finally got an Anakin set...

Holy **** this is great.  Not without flaw, but great...  The packaging is probably the best I've ever seen,a nd these sets prove Hasbro can put out superb quality at a very fair price.  I mean, this packaging is about 100x more elaborate than VOTC, and 3 figures with a lot of gear for $20 is a deal compared to $30 for 3 VOTC figures.

Some skimping here and there, and some of it is incredibly lame and inexcuseable.  Also, some areas that could've been skimped to save cash in production weren't and there's a sense that if done intelligently you could get "more" out of these as far as quality, but in the end I have to say that these sets are still great...  or at least this one is.

Thanks Matt, a TON!  Now I only need to find 2 more Anakin sets for the kids, one or two more for me, and then onto all the Sith and Clone sets I want.  Oh joy, oh joy, especially when I couldn't find a goddam Anakin set on my own.   ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #446 on: August 21, 2005, 07:50 AM »
I didn't know people were having trouble findind these.  They are everywhere here, even TRU has them.  Target has about a dozen and WM has so many they have a pile on the floor on an end cap.

I have not seen any Clones or Sith yet but it is still early.  I still have not decided to buy Anakin's or the Sith one.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 21, 2005, 01:23 PM »
I picked up the Sith and Clone Trooper sets the other day.  I finally had the opportunity to open them up yesterday and I have to say, I'm thoroughly impressed.  These figures are definitely on par with the VOTC line.  I sincerely hope these do well enough for Hasbro to consider a future for this line.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 21, 2005, 03:35 PM »
Nick, if they don't continue this line, especially given the (seemingly) universal praise and lauding that Evolutions is getting, it will baffle me more than any other decision they haven't made over the years.  There are so many possibilities with the line that could be explored, and to cut it short after three sets would be a real disappointment.

Now that we've gotten a "perfect" VOTC-level Obi-Wan from ROTS in the Pilot figure, they could do an Evolutions set with Episode I Padawan Obi-Wan, Episode II Jedi Knight Obi-Wan, and Episode IV Jedi Master Obi-Wan without them worrying about three Ewan McGregors in a box.  Give them all soft goods cloaks, lightsaber hilts, lightsabers, an aquatic breather for TPM Kenobi, pilot headset and handcuffs/chain for AOTC Kenobi, a blast shield helmet and seeker droid (with clear stand, ala the Sith Probe Droid) for ANH Kenobi, and you've got a great set on your hands.

A Threepio Evolutions set could include SA versions of TPM Threepio, AOTC Threepio, and ESB/ROTJ Threepio.  Throw in an assembly required Ewok Throne, a backpack for Chewbacca, a Battle Droid head and blaster, and maybe a Pit Droid, and you've got another great set.

And then there is Padme, and that just has a ton of possibilities for figures.  From my figuring, we've still got at least 4 costumes from TPM, 10 from AOTC, and all but one from ROTS.  If they did this as a "Portrait Edition in 3.75 Scale" set, accessories could be minimal and it would still be worth the 20 dollar price it would carry.

Luke, I think SA versions of Ceremonial Luke, Bespin Luke, and Endor Luke, with lightsabers, hilts, blasters, removable helmet, soft goods poncho, and cuffs would be a dream come true.

My other (pipe dream) wish would be for a Bounty Hunters Evolutions pack with an SA Aurra Sing (with blaster pistols and rifle), an SA Jango Fett (with removable helmet, switchable backpacks, blasters, and pilot headset), and an SA Boba Fett (VOTC sculpt with ESB colors and a removable helmet). 

As can be seen from everyone else's lists and mine, there are still a lot of possibilities here and a lot of demand for them.  Let's hope Hasbro is listening/paying attention.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #449 on: August 21, 2005, 07:09 PM »
I'd love to see all those, and I'd be up for the Obi Wan set with a ANH version of him like you said, now that they've aced the ROTS one (which I still haven't found yet).