Author Topic: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Months 9-10 - DIORAMAS/PLAYSETS  (Read 31800 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Hi Gang - wondering what your ideas are for this?  I'd like to suggest something different to kick of the new year for January - custom playsets/dioramas!  Not that I expect anyone to come up with something like DeanPaul just did, but you never know.   ;)

My thoughts are you can make any environment you please out of foamcore this month - whether it be a Cantina, a Coruscant alleyway, some fan fic area, etc.  Whatever you want.

I can take some pics tonight as an example of a foamcore diorama I recently made, it might give people some ideas.

:P
« Last Edit: January 1, 2006, 05:00 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
Re: January Customizing Challenge?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 01:13 PM »
chewie pertaning to this ive pmed u an idea

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 10:57 PM »
Sounds neat.....but I don't think i'll be done with my RE diorama this month.Also who ehre thinks wood beats foamcore?I just don't want my foamcore dio. falling apart in a few years.
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 11:46 PM »
You know I'm game. :)

I still think the dual month idea we had would be a good one. We have 2 months but we have to make a dio as well as a figure for it.
"This is the way."

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 10:50 AM »
Yea that sounds pretty cool too.Can we make multiple figures for it?
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 11:40 AM »
There is no limit to how many figures you make for it!   ;)

I'll have pics of one that I made recently that might help give a few ideas for anyone who hasn't used foamcore before (it's used in the latest photonovel that I just posted).

Offline Kit Fisto

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Tell your people to take shelter."
    • View Profile
    • Sofie and Jeffreys' Art/Custom Database
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 03:12 PM »
I've been inspired by work of guys like The Spectre. Can we do (in the months to come) customs of cross overs. Difirent universes crossed? SW with GI Joe, or Star Wars with Superheros maybe? Something like the Amalgam age of comics, where DC and Marvel heroes merged into a new hero or villian? Maybe we can do that with Star Wars as well.
"You're right! The Wu-Tang and the Shaolin could be dangerous!!"

My Website

Me on Ebay

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 03:32 PM »
I'm game for this, supposing my work load for the begining of the new semester is light.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 03:33 PM by *Rotav Vator* »
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Commander_Miseria

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Touching from a distance further all the time..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 10:04 PM »
Hows about we do after ROTS Rebels and Imperials???

Like Ben aged a bit, the corellian troops like chewie's, stormies and clones with different modification, young luke skywalker??

anyone game for this??  8)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 10:20 PM »
I'm game for a playset, but does it have to be foamcore?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 11:56 PM »
Sounds good to me on whatever troops/figures anyone wants to add.  I think that the more variety, the better - which is why I love the freedom in these Customizing Challenges.  So much fun. 

I am updating now to reflect my example of how to make a foamcore diorama - and it doesn't have to be foamcore, whatever materials you want to use are fine.

FOAMCORE MODULAR DIORAMA

Base Piece -

First of all, I used a large piece of foamcore and painted it, burned it some, and cut other shapes for debris and hot glued them on.

Wall #1 -

Then for the primary wall, I made two sides to it, making it a 3-dimensional piece for durability and realism, glued the pieces together and painted/weathered/added greeblies to it.

Wall # 2 -

Used the same technique as Wall #1, but wanted to keep the same length but different heights, adding variety but making them stackable to create more possible looks to them.  Both sides painted again for more possibilities.

Wall Bellies -

Then here is an underside shot to show that they have a built in support system for durability.  Remember to use a glue gun heavy here where you can't see the glue.

Warehouse -

Just a small building added for effect.

Modular Shot -

And a random setup with the pieces.  Could be used in many different ways.

Hope this helps give some ideas!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: January Customizing Challenge - DIORAMAS/PLAYSETS
« Reply #11 on: January 1, 2006, 04:59 PM »
Ok, new month, new year - and new Challenge!

We discussed this in a couple other threads too, and I got a few PM's and emails about this, so we're going with the diorama/playset theme for January.

The suggestion has been brought up too that this should be a 2-month challenge to give more time.  So, if that's the case, then I'll challenge myself and everyone else for this - if it's two months, make two things - try and show one at the end of January if you can - I'll for sure do that.

In additon to this, if you want to make a custom figure or two for your diorama, by all means do that too!

So, any ideas on this guys?  I'm planning on making something for my photonovel series for the January portion, for February I am either going to remake my entire Cantina from scratch, or create a Mustafar playset that I hope will be a lot better than Hasbro's version.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Months 9-10 - DIORAMAS/PLAYSETS
« Reply #12 on: January 1, 2006, 05:24 PM »
I got started on this already- I'm working on an Interrogation Room for my photonovel. I have the wall, chain and prisoner done, I just need to find a properly scaled chair, and make a Foamcore floor and walls.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 1, 2006, 05:42 PM »
Since I'm new to this site.  I've just started looking around.  How long do these monthly customizing challenges run.  I've never made a diorama but this may inspire me to start one.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 1, 2006, 06:01 PM »
Brent, what we usually do is start on the first day of the month, then you have 30 days - we have a lot of freedom to make whatever we want, however we want, and can show in-progress pictures if we choose.

This one will run until the end of February, and a new catergory will start in March.

Hope you join in on the fun, and here's some past months that we did for reference -

http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=9091.0