Author Topic: at-at driver  (Read 6821 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: at-at driver
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 10:05 PM »
well I look at it like a Tank Crew...if you use WWII as a model and lucas did in some cases (when they actually used a military advisor)

The commander of each vehicle would be a separate member altogether, so you'd have 8 drivers and 4 commanders.

I also consider the AT AT driver as an AT AT Crewman..so he could drive, be a gunner, loader etc.

And not all Tanks had officers as commanders, so who knows, there could be a commander that was not a General like Veers but was just a Grunt/NCO.  Now what they would wear I have NO idea.  But if Hasbro made one and gave him Super Articulation, I'd buy a few.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 05:50 AM »
I view AT-AT's as a team myself like tank crews similar to Paul's analogy.

EU says there is 2 crewmen, a commander (Officer?), and then the troop complements in the back either have their field officers or there's AT-AT crewmen on each deck to "motivate" the troops into getting out. :)

They could the troops own officers or part of the walker's crew though.  I think it's more the prior than the latter.

As for the Commander, I envision an Officer-ish looking guy.  Maybe the rank's lower, but the outfit's the same, so the Veers figure is the basic look but the rank just changes.

Veers' armor/helmet is supposedly the Imperial Army Regular standard...  Some EU shows them wearing a Y-Harness get-up too over the AT-ST Driver's uniform, and then the Veers armor/helmet is their just additional armor over the gear.  I envision officers being just like Veers though, but with differences in the badge.

So to me, AT-AT's are manned by a team or crew, one officer (generally low rank) with 2 crewmen, as I see it.  They'd then be grouped into armor columns/squads I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006, 01:34 PM »
jesse/pmundheim all good ideas, it has always bugged me a little and one of the reasons I don't really like the EU as much anymore is that there is so much potential there that they should elaborate that they just don't.  they seem so compacted into trying to connect everything and everyone to each other that they don't eleborate enough on what's already there, instead the fans are left to wing it on there own and guess at what some of these basically background nobodies are.  I like the battlefront games because you can have all sorts of troops basically in any and every enviro.  sorry about the rant, it's just that the AT-AT driver was my very first intro to the star wars universe and now that we've seen even more diversity and what the clones are capable of it kind of makes you think what the imperial era troops are capable of.  also upfront apology while i go on just a little bit more.  could the AT-AT driver be more of a pilot for the galactic/imperial marines flying/driving the vehicles within that military group?  while the T.I.E. fighter pilot is the naval pilot.  we see in ESB  they send in the snowtroops/galactic marine in.  isn't that the US marine forces right there first one in last ones out?  once again sorry about the rant.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 03:07 PM »
i wouldn't think that the at-at driver is strictly a galactic marine attatchment. in rotj, there is an at-at on endor by the landing platform. if the at-at driver wheres driving that one, then they aren't specific to hostile enviroment troops/galactic marines.

i always thought of an at-at in the same premise as a helicopter, specificly and shinook. you have 2 drivers/pilots and 2 or 3 crew chiefs/gunners one of which would tell the troops how close they are to objective and control the doors to let the troops dismount and all the other duties in the troop hold, the other 2 would be gunners or somthing to that effect.

so for me every at-at would have 5 at-at troops in it.

as for a commander/officer, i'd say 1 for every 3 at-at's depending on the mission. sort of a convoy commander.

that's just my take on it! :D
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2006, 09:22 PM »
Quick quesiton on the AT AT drivers. I know there are two per AT AT, but would they ever operate out of the AT AT as a squad? If so, how many? I seem to always see 4 AT AT's work together so are 8 drivers a squad with a commander? Or is the commander one of the eight? Thoughts or insights would be appreciated!

You could always, take a base and make the ATAT driver training school?
My trade thread: http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10408.0
Email is your best bet to contact me.

Offline Emperor Bayleef

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2006, 04:10 PM »
this is one of the first SAGA figures i bought... along with veers. i skipped the CARKOON wave on purpose... didnt seem that good to me, im waiting for clones, grievous, imperials and battle droids.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2006, 04:18 PM »
Battle Droids... yes, we need more Battle Droids!  I'd love to see the POTJ version re-released, with a ROTS paint scheme, and easy to get.

:P

Offline Emperor Bayleef

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2006, 04:37 PM »
allright hasbro, weve had SA clones, now we ned SA battle droids, droidikas ( can roll up into a ball ) and super battle droids.