Author Topic: Re: Brent's Customs - Updated 11/7 Kubrick Diorama  (Read 93153 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Brent's Customs - Updated 11/7 Kubrick Diorama
« on: December 31, 2005, 12:05 PM »
I've been posting over at Galactic Hunter for a while but I just saw a link to this web community.  It looks like you have a very active Customs group.  I thought I'd share some of my custom creations.  I just started customizing figures this year (about 6 months ago).  I've been having a blast with my new hobby.  I've been getting a lot of advice from Gregorbian and others at the GH site.

I started this year with the standard clone repaints:

These were made before the actual figures became available.

I've also made a few clone commanders:

I've recently started working away from the clones too.  Here's my first shot at Quinlan Vos:

and General Kenobi

I've got more in the works.

I've actually sold and traded away several of my original customs.  Its been a good way to break into the hobby as it helps cover some of the bills when starting out.

« Last Edit: November 9, 2007, 06:05 PM by BrentS »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: New Community Member - a few customs
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 12:11 PM »
Welcome aboard and what a great introduction! You have excellent painting skills.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 01:13 PM »
Welcome aboard. Did those red and blue clones start out painted red and blue or did you start from scratch? Nice Fox.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 06:00 PM »
As Phruby and Anton said, welcome aboard!  Any friend of Gregorbian's is a friend of mine.   :)

These are some great custom clones, especially since you just started customizing - simply amazing.  You already look like you have the skills of a veteran customizer.  The paint applications are very well done, especially on the Shocktroopers and the 501st clones.  I think your 501st ones look much better than what Hasbro put out.

Again, welcome here, make yourself at home, check out some of the other threads here and the photonovel section up above too.  Feel free to keep showing your work and let us know what you think of our stuff too.

:P

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 06:13 PM »
Holy crap!
Nice Shock troopers and 501st, you obviously have painting tallent.
Welcome.
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 06:30 PM »
Thanks for all the compliments.  To answer Mr. Phruby's question, all of those clones started out at #41s and were made before the Jedi Assault, Tactical Ops, or Shocktroopers were officially released.

I used to paint a lot in high school but I really got away from it. I went to Celebration III this year (my first SW fan convention) and was really really intrigued by the customization and diorama exhibits.  I knew I wanted to take a crack at it when I had the time. 

My biggest personal limitation is that I'm color blind  :o   So I'm constantly asking others for help with colors, etc.  Thats one of the reasons I haven't veered much away from the simple colored clones.  The Game Wizard paints help because their colors are pretty self explanatory (for the most part).  If you ever see one of my customs and the color seems off - make sure you let me know  ;)

I've also done some playing around with Sculpy (Cody's Visor, various packs and pouches) and even casting resin parts (Fox's helmet).  I've got a lot of ideas but not a lot of time to work on them.

Thanks again for the compliments.  The skills I see on this forum are amazing.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 06:39 PM »
For someone that is color blind, I'm even more amazed - for the record, all of your colors look perfect.

:P

Offline Commander_Miseria

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Touching from a distance further all the time..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 06:51 PM »
pretty cool I like the troops and jedi!  8) I think the shocktroopers are my favorite though.  You did the hip lines really well. can't wait to see that vos finished. Welcome to the boards!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 06:51 PM by Commander_Miseria »

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #8 on: January 2, 2006, 12:33 PM »
I thought these looked familiar  ;)
Welcome to JD!  ;D  The customs community is a bit more active here than at GH (I think all of the main customizers on the GH customs boards also post here).  I'm sure you'll feel right at home here  ;D
I can't wait to see what else you have coming up!
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
« Reply #9 on: January 2, 2006, 01:58 PM »
Good work. All the clones look like production figures, though the 212th airborne trooper seems odd.
My trade thread: http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10408.0
Email is your best bet to contact me.

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: January 2, 2006, 04:58 PM »
nice customs

almost professionnal looking

the vos fig should look less bald inho, but then agen kolar's hair piece is an neat idea
"Wars don't make one great"

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 2, 2006, 05:02 PM »
I'm a fan of all your customs, save for the attempt at Vos. He looks bad to me, is all. I think you would have better results if you got a different head, and tried somthing that way. Maybe also sculpting the bands he has on his hands and hair as well. :)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 2, 2006, 07:50 PM »
I'm a fan of all your customs, save for the attempt at Vos. He looks bad to me, is all. I think you would have better results if you got a different head, and tried somthing that way. Maybe also sculpting the bands he has on his hands and hair as well. :)

Kevin

I actually sold this Vos on eBay a while ago.  But I think you are right.  Thyere is something off about the head/hair.  I still like the choice of Agen Kolar but I needed to add some more hair to the front - like bangs or something.  I'm going to try this guy again sometime.  I was happy with the choice of the clone wars Anakin body but I should also add some "weathering" to him too so that he really looks like he was through the Wars.  Thanks for the honest criticism.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 2, 2006, 08:39 PM »
No problem. Honesty comes by the truckload here at JediDefender. :)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline darth_ripley

• Jedi Initiate
  • i'm the monster's mother...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 3, 2006, 03:00 PM »
first of all welcome aboard!  :)

the shocktroopers and 501st look amazing as everyone else said. the weathering is nice and the lines are clean and crisp, especially the chest design on the 501st. the colors look great - no one would ever know you are color-blind.

the cape on the clone Obi-Wan is a little awkward. i would maybe try sculpting two small little "buttons"/clasps on the outside of the cape to add the "chain" to so it fits the cape a little better. i do like the soft goods addition.

i look forward to seeing more of your work.