Author Topic: Re: Brent's Customs - Updated 11/7 Kubrick Diorama  (Read 93148 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Brent's Customs - Updated 4/28- Big Update
« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2006, 04:13 PM »
What a great looking figure using that clown head. He looks a real retail toy. I would so get him if they sold him. Some nice assorted padawns there. I really like the fixed version of Anakin. He's much better than how he started.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Phalanxx

• Jedi Initiate
  • I aim to misbehave
    • View Profile
    • Phalanxx Designs
« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2006, 06:50 PM »
wow.. the clown head really transforms the Ephant Mon figure. He looks great and I like background info you created for Shrumpel Thichna.  He would fit in very well with the rest of Jabba's goons.

I also really like your Ty-Ri Docosto.  The hannibal head works great for a young jedi.
Visit www.phalanxxdesigns.com - Custom Figures and Cardbacks.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 30, 2006, 12:40 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys.  Shrumpel Thichna was a WIP I've had for some time.  I remember suggesting that to Chewie a long time ago when he showed us his headless Mon.  I think I can definitely work him into the photonovel so he was a no brainer to make.

Looking back at Ty-Ri, you can see where I had a minor dremmel accident and his right cheek (left if you look at it) got scuffed up.  That made me want to go ahead and give him the scar. However, I still think his cheek looks too ruff.  Anyone have any suggestions to help "shine" it up?   I've got some clear coat from Gamesworkshop that I may use but sometimes thats waaay to shiny.

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2006, 03:21 AM »
Shrumpel is frightening and horrible and makes me doubt the existance of a benevolent god.

So all in all, I'd say it's a sucessful custom. Well imagined, well painted and definitely creepy!

I also like both versions of Ty-Ri Dicosto. I planned on using that Hannibal head for a young Jedi too.  ;)

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Brent's Customs - Updated 5/2- Diorama/PN Set WIP
« Reply #139 on: May 2, 2006, 11:52 PM »
I've been working on some "sets" for Chapter 3 of my photonovel.  I've been experimenting a little more with foamcore and styrene.  I was so happy with the way this WIP was turning out, I had to share it as a work in progress.  There is still a lot of to do to finish it up.  I also hope its not too small.  Its amazing how quickly a piece of foam core shrinks as you start building around it.

I know that the council chamber isn't movie "accurate" but this is really just an experiment with diorama building and for use in the photonovel.

Sorry the photo is a little blurry.  My regular camera was way upstairs and I didn't bother to go get it :)
« Last Edit: May 3, 2006, 12:37 AM by BrentS »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 3, 2006, 12:13 AM »
Brent, this is AWESOME.  Is it entirely foamcore?  Damn buddy you really are doing a good job on this...

:)

Offline Phalanxx

• Jedi Initiate
  • I aim to misbehave
    • View Profile
    • Phalanxx Designs
« Reply #141 on: May 3, 2006, 09:00 AM »
Thats one heck of a WIP.  You did a great job with the foamcore.  The council chamber looks great so far.  I can't wait to see the whole thing finished.
Visit www.phalanxxdesigns.com - Custom Figures and Cardbacks.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 3, 2006, 09:34 AM »
This is definately going to turn out great. I like the pillers. Very cool Brent.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 3, 2006, 07:21 PM »
Chewie, Phalanx, Phruby - Thanks for the comments guys!  I'm glad you like the WIP.  I think I'm as excited about this as anything I've done customizing so far.

Anyway, to directly answer Chewie's question  - no its not all foamcore.  The floor, support for the walls (angle pieces) and the backdrop are all foamcore.   The white parts around the window is a type of dry erase posterboard that I found at Michael's.  Basically its just poster board coated with the glossy dry erase surface.  The pillars are pieces of styrene tubing I picked up at the Hobby shop on my quest for styrene.  Obviously the images in the window are printed.  I got them from Nuib Nuib's site. 

I think I may need to repaint the floor to add the brown base tone around the Council chairs.  I've also got the decal from Nuib's to put on the ground.  I'm planning on adding some more sytrene strips to some the window pieces to give it more dimension.

With any luck I'll have this one finished this weekend and I'll provide another photo.

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 4, 2006, 12:52 AM »
REALLY greatjob.  Can't wait to see the painted final version!  Excellent work!!!
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #145 on: May 5, 2006, 10:20 PM »
Hey Brent,

I've missed commenting on lots of your stuff lately so I'll try and go back and get to most of it.

You are off to a great start on the Jedi Chamber. All the different dimensions are looking good. I can't wait to see the finished product.

SA Coleman Trebor- I guess just getting him from Hasbro was something but I'd have loved to get one like your's. You have inspired me to try and go abck and do something like this to mine.

Aleena Tyrazika- I can see what you were trying to accomplish with this figure. I think you did a good job, but it could be better. I think the only think that really need work is the arms. I like the gauntlets but the paint on the arms isn't as smooth as it could be, there also seems to be little spots where the original color is poking through a bit. I think you could probably fix that up pretty easily. The rest looks great though. Way to make a 'new' head with the head cast and hair piece, it looks great.

Darth Plagueis the Wise- Man that guy is scary looking. Is that the same mask CHEWIE used on his a while back? I think it fits him very well.

Jedi Master Ty-Ri Docosto- You did a good job of disguising the Ash head, this guy looks pretty good, I think that you could clean up the beard a wee bit, it looks like he got a little paint on the nose. You should be able to scrape that off with an exacto fairly easily.

Shrumpel Thichna- Wow. This guy turned out FANTASTIC. I think he may be my favorite custom you've done. The skin tone is fantastic, and the little boyles and warts on the face look great. I'm excited to see this guy in action.

Young Jedi Knight Ty-Ri Docosto- The young version looks great too, for a simple headswap he sure turned out very good.
"This is the way."

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 6, 2006, 12:37 AM »
Ryan and Quazar- thanks for all the great feedback!

Aleena Tyrazika- I can see what you were trying to accomplish with this figure. I think you did a good job, but it could be better. I think the only think that really need work is the arms. I like the gauntlets but the paint on the arms isn't as smooth as it could be, there also seems to be little spots where the original color is poking through a bit. I think you could probably fix that up pretty easily. The rest looks great though. Way to make a 'new' head with the head cast and hair piece, it looks great.

I totally agree, its really the arms that I don't like.  They seem too "thick"  I may have to rework them somehow.

Darth Plagueis the Wise- Man that guy is scary looking. Is that the same mask CHEWIE used on his a while back? I think it fits him very well.

The helemt is a Brent Original (sort of).  I took a GI Joe Imperial Procession Guard and added sculpy around the neck to make it bigger.   Made a mold and then cast it out of resin, hollowed it out with a dremel and then painted it up.

Shrumpel Thichna- Wow. This guy turned out FANTASTIC. I think he may be my favorite custom you've done. The skin tone is fantastic, and the little boyles and warts on the face look great. I'm excited to see this guy in action.

Thanks on this guy.  He was a lot of fun and I was dying to try.  Once Chewie and Spectre through down the guantlet on Ephant Mon based customs I had to try one out!

« Last Edit: May 6, 2006, 12:45 AM by BrentS »

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 6, 2006, 12:44 AM »
Added a lot more detail on the Jedi Council Chamber.  It's pretty much finished except for the logos on the floor.  I'm also realized that I probably should paint the base of the floor the brownish-red color (that is the right color, huh??) and use the image from Nuib Nuib to get the yellowish color and images.  Maybe tomorrow.

I also haven't actually attached any of the pieces to the foamcore floor.  I'm not sure if I'm going to do that or not yet.  For the Photonovel work, I can probably just set it up something and take the photos I need.  Something like this:

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 6, 2006, 12:55 AM »
Wow, that came out really good Brent... what did you use for the tubes along the back wall?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Brent's Customs - Updated 5/5- More Updates to Jedi Council
« Reply #149 on: May 6, 2006, 04:33 AM »
Man that came out better than I tough it would. Excellent work Brent. The paint app looks flawless, the lines are excellent and the layering looks great.

Top-notch work Brent! :)
"This is the way."