Author Topic: tie fighter pilot???  (Read 5580 times)

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
tie fighter pilot???
« on: January 2, 2006, 11:59 AM »
i've never picked one up so i don't really know, how is the artuculation and qaulity of the otc/saga tie fighter pilot? how does it compare in hieght next to votc stoormies? thanks..... ;D
« Last Edit: January 2, 2006, 01:28 PM by jedistyle »
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Straight up rocket scientist
    • View Profile
Re: tie fighter pilot???
« Reply #1 on: January 2, 2006, 02:43 PM »
The OTC TIE pilot is in a different league than the 1995 POTF2 release.  The OTC version is articulated everywhere, has a superior scale and sculpt, and is probably a top 30 figure ever made, maybe higher.  I see people can put pictures in their posts and I wanted to put them side by side here, but I haven't figured out how yet.  The moral of the story is, get some OTC pilots, they really rock.
If you vote for me all of your wildest dreams will come true.  Thank you.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: January 2, 2006, 05:55 PM »
I was for whatever reason thinking I'd reviewed the TIE Pilot but I guess I didn't... 

It is like night and day though with the POTF2 figure, no doubt, though the color lets you kind of hide the POTF2's in your Saga/OTC TIE Pilot ranks.

The articulation on the new TIE Pilot's improved but I was a little underwhelmed by it actually.  The right arm has swivel bicep and wrists making it fairly articulated while the left arm has just the glove/wrist swivel.  And of course it has standard shoulder joints.

The knees are ball/socket joints, that's where the big improvement really was.  I was disappointed in the arms though and I think Hasbro can obviously do better.  The Clone Pilot and Saga AT-AT Driver are more what the TIE Pilot should have been.  I can tell what they were basing their TIE Pilot off of though.  You can pose him just like a production still of a TIE Pilot extra from ROTJ, it's uncanny the way the arms are made to match that still identically.

The sculpt is 100x better though.  This was a figure I actually didn't care to see made anytime soon.  I just wasn't a huge TIE Pilot fan, so he wasn't high on my list (kind of like the AT-AT Driver actually).  The sculpt is real crisp though, with lots of detail in the uniform.  The helmet is amazingly detailed as well.  One more articulation downside though was that he has no waist articulation.  He's sculpted separately at that point, but the way he's constructed doesn't allow for his waist joint to move.  The same problem was on Saga's Captain Antilles figure however it was possible to pose him at the waist with a little work and care.  Not the TIE Pilot.

I remember the OTC TIE Pilots were in mass abundance for a while.  I got some on clearance as I recall even.  Wal-Mart had tons, so finding them shouldn't be too too hard.

EDIT:

By the way Ithorian Clergy,

If you wanna post images in a thread you just copy/paste their URL in the image tag lines by using this button    up in the toolbar.  I just used the technique to show the button actually. 

If you click the button it shows you the text code in brackets.  You just paste the URL into between the text brackets.  voila!
« Last Edit: January 2, 2006, 06:04 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 2, 2006, 06:34 PM »
alright cool, thanks for the info. i'm gunna pick up a couple, just 2 or 3 at most, i'm sure.

that is a bit disapointing about the waist and arm articulations. the waist isn't that big of a deal, but the arms i ahd really hoped where well articulated.... :(

thanks again for the info!
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 2, 2006, 08:21 PM »
POTF2 TIE Pilot...

OTC TIE Pilot

You can tell the latter is lightyears ahead of the POTF2 version.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 3, 2006, 10:47 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the Saga/OTC pilot, dispite it's lack of elbow articulation. It's get high marks from me as well. If you have the means, pick a few up.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."