Author Topic: Random passages from John Hodgman's book, "The Areas of My Expertise."  (Read 30996 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Are you goofing on Elvis?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Finally the president knew there was only one way to end the hoboes' march across the blighted land: polio.  Alone in his secret White House lab, Roosevelt created a concentrated serum of the dreaded disease that would be placed in the nation's water supply by the Tennessee Valley Authority.  According to his contemporaries, Roosevelt was tortured by this decision.  He knew that a certain number of non-hobo citizens would spend the rest of their lives in iron lungs as a result of his actions, but it would finally put a stop to the wandering people--starting at their feet and ending at their waists.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
sounds like a waste of a book

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
SEVEN HUNDRED HOBO NAMES

(This being the first of seventy installments.)

1.  Stewbuilder Dennis
2.  Cholly the Yegg
3.  Holden the Expert Dreamtwister
4.  The Rza
5.  Jack Skunk
6.  Jack Skunk Fils
7.  Lord Dan X. Still-Standing
8.  Marlon Fitz-Fancy
9.  Bazino Bazino, The Kid Whose Hair Is On Fire
10.  Whispering-Lies McGruder
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
Was this guy on the Daily Show a couple months ago?
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
SEVEN HUNDRED HOBO NAMES

(This being the second of seventy installments.)

11.  Nil Louse
12.  Dan'l Dinsmore Tackadoo
13.  Hobo Zero
14.  The Silver Jacket Man
15.  No-Shoulders Smalltooth Jones
16.  Sistery Brothery Nabob
17.  Name Withheld
18.  Staniel the Spaniel
19.  Frederick Bannister, the Tree Surgeon
20.  Tarnose Cohen

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
SEVEN HUNDRED HOBO NAMES

(This being the third of seventy installments.)

21. Mr. Wilson Fancypants
22. Floyd Dangle
23. Shane Stoopback
24. Wicked Paul Fourteen-Toes
25. Normal-Faced Olaf
26. Tearbaby Hannity Stoop
27. The Damned Swede
28. Pierre Tin-Hat
29. Ol' Barb Stab-You-Quick
30. Mr. Whist

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
SEVEN HUNDRED HOBO NAMES

(This being the fourth of seventy installments.)

31. James Fenimore Cooper
32. Twistback John, the Scoliosis Sufferer
33. Sweet Daddy Champagne
34. Senator Cletus Scoffpossum
35. Horus, the Bird-Headed Fool
36. 50-Tooth Slim
37. Monk, the Monkey Man (which is to say: "the Man")
38. Thad the Bunter
39. Balloonpopper Chillingsworth
40. All-but-Dissertation Tucker Dummychuck

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
But then came Pearl Harbor.  Some say Roosevelt knew the Japanese would attack that infamous December 7th.  The truth is, he didn't.  But the hoboes did.  And as the tragic war that followed put a final end to the Great Depression, so too did it put an end to the hobo war.  As quickly as they had come, the hoboes mysteriously disappeared.  No one knows where they went, or why.  Some say they found patriotism in their hearts, joining the war against a common enemy.  Others say they went to the stars or to another dimension.  And still others say they live on today, moving quietly from town to town, preparing for the time when their great chicken-bone and moonshine empire will rise again.  Is it possible?  No, because historians agree that they almost certainly went to the stars.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
I am so looking forward to the thirty-seventh installment of SEVEN HUNDRED HOBO NAMES

I have this sneaky feeling that Hobo Name 363 is going to rock (although it will be hard to top "Sweet Daddy Champagne").
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
I am so looking forward to the thirty-seventh installment of SEVEN HUNDRED HOBO NAMES

I have this sneaky feeling that Hobo Name 363 is going to rock (although it will be hard to top "Sweet Daddy Champagne").

I guess you can throw away that copy of A 1001 Baby Names then  -- "Sweet Daddy Champagne" has a nice ring to it.  There are 699 more to choose from for baby B.......... ;)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 05:48 AM by tamidala »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
FAST FACTS ABOUT PHILADELPHIA

--The word "Philadelphia," from the Greek, literally means "Pennsylvania."

--It has the highest number, per capita, of Benjamin Franklin impersonators in the country.

--Someday all of the Benjamin Franklin impersonators will fight all of the Mark Twain impersonators, flooding valleys and destroying whole towns in their wake, until nothing is left.

--Harrison Ford lives here and protects Amish children.

--Bryn Mawr College, a small but esteemed school of witchcraft and wizardry in the city's western suburbs, is sometimes visible by day.

--Philadelphia is at the cutting edge of some of today's most exciting new developments in sandwich technology.  The sandwiches here are so large and complex and sublime that they contain whole philosophies.  Some have the complete oral traditions of several ancient cultures hidden within the roll alone.

--Philadelphia was one of the thirteen East Coast cities called "home" by Edgar Allen Poe, and it was here that he hosted the first of his many Christmas Literary Extravaganzas.  Held in 1839, it was, by contemporary accounts, a grand affair, involving feats of literary memorization and drunken sword canery, and a chorus line of murderous orangutans.  Poe was dressed as Santa Claus, but at this point in his career this was hardly unusual.  After reciting "Tamerlane," he famously brought out his child bride Virginia and seated her on his lap.  "What would you like from Santa this year?" he asked.  And she replied, "The modern detective story."  And so he invented it then and there, writing "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" using only a checkerboard, a bottle of brandy, and a map of Paris.  At this point, the police chased Poe back to Baltimore.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
Hodgman managed to get in a Lobot reference on the Daily Show tonight. I instantly thought of you Matthew.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
WERE YOU AWARE OF IT?

You know all the famous myths about our nation's first president:  that he wove his first wig himself from the hairs of the dog he killed so his family could eat.  That he rid our nation of the plague of cherry trees.  That beneath his gloves he had the giant, hairy paws of a bear.  That he was our nation's first president.  These are all charming tales.

But were you aware that George Washington. . .

. . .grew hemp?
. . .distilled his own rye whiskey?
. . .smoked 70 cigars a day?
. . .had a rudimentary crystal meth lab in the basement of Mount Vernon?
. . .kept a laudanum-soaked wad of cotton in his cheek at all times?
. . .was turned on to hashish by Sally Fairfax, the wife of his best friend, whom he would love from afar for the rest of his life?
. . .delivered his farewell address at Fraunces Tavern while high on Madeira and Red Bull?
. . .ate 25 grains of French ecstasty daily "as a digestive"?
. . .wrote A Book of Etiquette at the age of sixteen, including a final admonition to: "Labor to keep alive in your breast the little spark of celestial fire called 'cocaine?'"
. . .had false teeth that were not made out of wood but other human teeth?

HOW COULD YOU BE AWARE OF IT IF THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW!!!!??

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Are the hobo names still in our future?  I'm anxious to read installment 5 of 70.