Author Topic: Dressel Rebel's custom figures  (Read 43564 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Dressel Rebel's customs thread - UPDATED Tuesday 8/23
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2005, 12:47 AM »
Very nice Sr.  :)

The lines are really straight on all of them, esspecially those shocktroopers. I couldn't do that. :P  It looks like there are a couple places could use another coat of paint some of the white seems to be poking through. And I'm not sure if you want a clean look but you could try using an exacto and dinging the paint up a bit.

Keep 'em coming. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Dressel Rebel's customs thread
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2005, 12:57 AM »
Beautiful stuff. It makes me wish for a Hasbro Dresselian figure that doesn't have an eye-patch.

Love the capes too. Where did you find those?

:)

The capes I made from microfiber dish towels that I found at Target, cut a pattern then sewed them together using single interrupted sutures that I learned during oral surgery rotations back in dental school  :D 

That was the manliest way to sew that I could think of.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2005, 01:22 AM »

"Should we mow down the 32 on the left, or the 32 on the right?"

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2005, 01:48 AM »
You're doing some great work DR, I like the Dresellians a lot just because they're an uncommon custom to see.  Did you sculpt the patch-less Commando yourself?

For WIW, I tend to go with a different backstory on the Dresellians...  I like to think of them as a bit more evolved than EU's given them credit for.  I have just viewed their rifles as a laser the same as an MG-34 worked as one as well.  Wooden stocks aren't uncommon on other blaster weapons so that's cool to me.  That's just my take though.

I like them as a reasonably advanced species who have been reluctant to openly join the Alliance (thoughs ome volunteer on their own and are assimilated like any other volunteer).  The Dresellian resistance movement then sorta is like the Viet Cong...  Ruthless, efficient, and very adept at defending their planet but with also some good skills off-planet that they lend tot he Alliance for the battle of Endor as well as other engagements.

Anyyyyyyyyway, sorry for that...

I like them and I dig your use of PTE figs for bases.  They work well for random commando's who are relegated to not having structured unifroms and stuff.  THe softgoods robes rock too.  Very retro but look great.  I'm just curious on the patch-less sculpt you used.  I'd like one actually myself!  I've hoped Hasbro would update with a 2nd Commando (more articulation, cloth cloak) that didn't have a patch...  Or at least had a removable patch.

EDIT:

I should note that I was complementing Kevin's Dresellian's that used the PTE bases above.  I noticed a base I'm not familiar with on the next page back for one of the original Dresel Rebel's custom Dresellian's though.

Great stuff either way.  Nice to see the Dresellian homeguard getting some love in customs.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 03:23 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2005, 02:40 PM »
Your paint jobs on your clones are very clean and sharp - great work! 
Did you sculpt that Cody helmet?  It looks very good from the angle that you took the pic - I hope you're able to repair it!
The only thing that I would change would be to add the 2 parallel lines going down the sides of the 501st Clones. 
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2005, 10:37 PM »
You're doing some great work DR, I like the Dresellians a lot just because they're an uncommon custom to see.  Did you sculpt the patch-less Commando yourself?

Jesse James - No, the original is actually a couple years old, someone who kinda hung it up and retired named Tony "Lando" sculpted the original.  I've since learned a couple different methods of casting, thanks to a complete dental lab full of materials.  Thanks for the props on my work so far.

Gregorbian - I know about the parallel stripes on the blue 501st, but I just don't like that part.  I don't know, I'm probably going to continue making them without those stripes.  I think it makes the armor look more like pants or something  :P

I've been trying to get around to it for the last few days, but have made very little progress finding time, but sometime in the very near future I will have pics of dioramas of these Dresselians and others knocking off squads of VOTC stormies.  There is going to be a very high stormtrooper body count.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2005, 12:38 AM »
Ambush at a Dresselian Town Fountain

Here's some shots of one scene on Planet Dressel, apparently the Dresselian natives got real disgusted with a squad of stormtroopers taking an afternoon break at their town fountain, and showed them a good time Dresselian style:

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Dressel Rebel's customs thread - UPDATED Saturday 8/27
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2005, 01:00 AM »
Damn, I love it all! The Clones are simply amazing, and I'm really digging the diorama. It looks so real!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2005, 01:09 AM »
Heh, Dresellian's punking the Imperial army.  Sweet...

I'd suggest mixing up the belt-fed grenade launcher a bit DR, with perhaps a new barrel on it at least...  I've got a bunch of those myself I'm tinkering with.  I'm making a large energy feed for one and an oversized "clip" for another more mobile model.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2005, 01:50 AM »
What a great update.  Looks like I missed a lot of new pics here today.

There's been so many clone repaints lately, but these are some of the better ones I've seen.  I might suggest a little weathering on some of them to give them more of a realistic look, but as they are, they still look great.

The Dresselians are still cool as well... I might suggest painting a few of their heads a darker shade, just to add variety to the species.

And the dioramas are looking great.  The military toys really blend in well with the Dresselians, and the grass/brush all look great.  And I love seeing fan fic EU stuff like this.  Simply awesome!

:P

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2005, 11:36 AM »
I like those scenes!  Very well done, I think you should have put some sort of background there, but still, that grass and tree and everything look really nice.  Very cool!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2005, 03:17 PM »
I like those scenes!  Very well done, I think you should have put some sort of background there, but still, that grass and tree and everything look really nice.  Very cool!

Yeah, I agree, the white wall kinda jumps out at you.  I'm gonna fix that eventually.  I'm building scene #2 right now.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2005, 04:48 PM »
I'll be interested to see what you do with the white wall background.  I've got about 30 dioramas that need backgrounds still.

:P

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2005, 12:33 AM »
A squad of stormtroopers wander into a Dresselian campsite unknowingly, and find themselves under attack before they even realize what they've walked into:

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Dressel Rebel's customs thread - UPDATED Wednesday 8/31
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2005, 08:06 AM »
Very cool!  I love battle scenes, espcially when they involve customs  ;)