Author Topic: CHEWIE's customs updated 06.22.2012  (Read 472136 times)

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
Re: Customs by CHEWIE updated 06.28.07
« Reply #2595 on: June 29, 2007, 11:46 AM »
Wow, Chewie, this last post of your s has got to win some sort of award for "most customs in one post!"  I'm counting 28 (includein the 1:1 one ;) )!  :o How do you do it, especially now that you're a dad & all?

Where on earth to begin... As always, you're the maker of some of the most creative background people and everyday citizens, both alien and Human, that I've seen.  Just a few of the many cool details that jump out at me:

- I love the quasi-ancient-Roman facial features on that Rebel Honor Guard head (Noris S.).  That works really well for a Naboo. 
- Neat to see a Duros with bare arms!  (And a greener skin tone than most -- but heck, if Humans come in all colors, why not aliens? :) )
- Fabulous transformation of the Tusken Raider outfit on Toaroff -- I would never have guessed that's what it was!
- That Pote Snitkin outfit really suits Task Ninso well.  Gives him a sort of "ghetto" look!  :)

And just a couple questions:
- How do you achieve all the fabulous weathering and paint effects that you do?  You always do fantastically at that -- you really could do a FFURG documentary thereon.
- You DID do something to make Prisoner Rykrof's hair longer, didn't you?  :)
- What color are Kiefer's eyes, exactly?  :)

All best, happy customizing, and much love to the fam! 8)

... the Findswoman

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: June 29, 2007, 02:46 PM »
Hey Finds, thanks for the very nice comments.  Kiefer's eyes are a shade of blue... it's hard to tell, but we think they are a navy blue color with a touch of gray mixed in.  I think his eyes have changed a little bit week by week since he's been born.  He definitely has better looking eye color than I do!  Takes after his mom.   :)

Regarding the Rykrof custom, I didn't actually lengthen his hair, but I did add a beard to him that seems to make his head look quite a bit different.  Funny about his hair, as DD started a topic about changing Rykrof's hair HERE.  Kind of funny stuff.

With painting, I'm not the best at explaining how I go about it, but here's a basic description -

Here's a little more explanation on how I go about my methods -

There's four steps in painting that I use that I've gotten down better over time.  Not every custom uses every method though, depending on how much I want it weathered.

1) Paint preparation.  All of my paints are the cheap acrylics from Walmart.  I always water down each bottle of paint that I have some, and shake it up.  Not too much water, just a few drops.  It helps me paint smoother and in thinner coats.  It does make me need to do more coats of paint, but it really helps make a figure look better and also strengthens the paint.

2) - Base coat.  Usually I try and either prime a figure with a base coat of a diluted color of paint.  What I do, is using something neutral like gray or a light blue, and basically paint a very thin primer coat over all parts that I am going to paint.  When I prime, I always do at least two coats of priming.  A prime coat helps absorb the next layer of paint.

3) - Dry brushing. This is a pretty simple technique - it works best of figures that have very defined sculpts. What it does is bring out the details that "push out" on a figure - for example, the folds on a shirt will show up well with a dry brush, but indentions will not.

To do a dry brush, all you do is get a somewhat large brush, dab a bit of paint on it, smear most of the paint off of it, then rub the brush against a figure - just traces of paint will adhere to the details of a figure's sculpt.  And it works much better over a base coat of paint rather than fresh Hasbro plastic.

4) - Paint wash. This is my favorite technique. It's simple to do but takes some practice. First - you really, really need to paint a figure with a base coat before you do this. For example, if you try a wash on a figure's shirt that is "Hasbro painted" - the details won't show up right and it will look kinda funky.   The Hasbro paint just won't absorb the wash at all, it's like trying to mix oil and water together.  So do a base coat first.

So let's say you want to bring out the details in a figure with a wash. You'll want the wash to be a darker color than the main color of the figure itself - let's say you paint a shirt a light brown - do that, let it dry for several hours. Then you're ready for a wash.

To do the wash, dab some black (or dark) paint onto a plastic or vinyl coated paper plate. Then add some water - the point is to dilute the paint. In doing so, it will appear to add wear and a realistic touch to your custom.

So once you have it diluted, brush over the figure's brown shirt with your "wash" of paint. You'll see that the brown paint "absorbs" the black paint, but not too mcuh of it. Once it dries, it will have a "sunken in" appearance - the exact opposite of a dry brush.

5) Specking - this is a name I gave to a process of adding just a bit of paint to a figure in certain areas, like to represent a torn cloth or whatever. First I dab some very small spots of white paint, really just dots to a figure in some areas. After it dries, I add some black spots too. It just gives an appearance almost like a Hasbro weathering job.

For example, this custom here -

He was primed and then base coated in different colors everywhere except for his legs, hands and head because I liked how Hasbro had done those parts.  Then, I did a wash with black, and then a very light dry brush with a beige color.  After that dried, a very light wash again with black.  Then finally with a fine brush, I painted the details with a beige color..

I hope that helps some. It really took me a lot of practice to find techniques that I like. Some other people that customize a lot don't use the same techniques that I do at all though and they have very good work.

:P

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: July 1, 2007, 09:52 AM »
I have to saw Chewie, you've always been a top notch customizer, but I can see your work getting better and better over the years.

Congrats again on the new addition!
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brisk Arper

• Jedi Initiate
  • ITS A TWAP!!!!
    • View Profile
    • mandalorian mercs
« Reply #2598 on: July 1, 2007, 11:16 AM »
great customs chewie...and congratulations on your first born....i lvoe the first pic...an episode 3 dvd is in the background lolololol
in the words of a famous admiral......

ITS A TWAP!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: July 10, 2007, 12:45 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments and nice words about the baby...  8)

Got a bit of an update here -

TORACCA - Wookiee Bounty Hunter.  This guy will appear in the Rykrof Enloe series, and is my custom for July's Yakfinities Customizing Challenge.

head - Early Bird Chewbacca
torso - McQuarrie Chewbacca
arms - McQuarrie Chewbacca
legs - Early Bird Chewbacca
bandolier - Early Bird Chewbacca

PHILES GANNOR - Look for him soon in the Rykrof Enloe series... just a few chapters away from this guy making his appearance.

head - BBI figure
gloves - SAGA2 Garindan
rest - ROTS Count Dooku

BENS PIBBLE - Ishi Tib traveler, will appear in the photonovel series.

head - POTF2 Ishi Tib
hands - SAGA Geonosian Warrior
torso - TAC Death Star Trooper
legs - TAC Death Star Trooper
jacket - TAC Academy Biggs
arms - TAC Academy Biggs
tunic - ROTS Plo Koon

GOMOR - Giant Whipid, member of the Badoo Corba terrorists in the Rykrof Enloe series.

head - SAGA Whipid
arms - SAGA Whipid
rest - POTF2 Muftak

CAPTAIN TYPHO AND JEG KALLIS - For the Rykrof Enloe series.  The EPI Captain Panaka figure is one of the few EP1 figures that I really like, and I decided to revisit that figure for these customs.  The third pic is a comparison between the Typho custom and the Hasbro version of Panaka.

head - SAGA Captain Typho, BBI figure
arms - EPI Panaka
torso - EPI Panaka
helmet - EPI Naboo Guard
legs - ROTS Bail Organa

Separatist Beetle Droid - Just a fan fiction design, thought this would be something a little different but still in the theme of organic type of droids that the Seps use.

parts used - TAC Jawa droid dome, SAGA Spider Droid legs, misc. greeblies

B4-R4 - Another fan fic design, perhaps an older version of astromechs.

head - POTJ R4M9
torso - McQuarrie R2-D2
arms - cantina cups, POTJ IG-88
base - SAGA R1-G4

Alyssa Enloe - I decided to make another of version of Rykrof's hot wife.   8)

head - GIJOE Bombstrike
torso - Pirates Elizabeth Swan
arms - POTC Rabe
drape - ROTS Luminara Unduli
lower dress - Japanese Anime figure

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 12:46 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
Re: Customs by CHEWIE updated 07.10.07
« Reply #2600 on: July 10, 2007, 12:56 PM »
ARE YOU TELLING ME YOU USED A MCQUIRE R2 TO MAKE A CUSTOM?!?!?!  :'(
Well if anybody was going to do it,  you're the man to do it.  Looks great.  The only thing about the Sep droid is he's missing his  :o BIG red one right in the middle, looks great as always.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 12:56 PM by jedipurge »
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: July 10, 2007, 03:19 PM »
 :o :o :o 8) Those look sweet Chewie.Congrats on a job well done! 8)
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: July 10, 2007, 08:10 PM »
Wow, these are all incredible customs once again...well, all but one.

Justin I am sorry but I have found the first custom of yours that I really just dont like. The Jeg Kallis just doesnt work. Its still an okay custom but I think it is terrible next to all of your other work. Im sorry, but its the first not so good of your work so I thought Id point it out.

Jeg aside, these are all terrific as usual, I really like your ideas for fanfic droids, how you can decide to use a McArtoo in a custom is beyond me, I could never do it, but it is a great custom. Toracca looks ferocious and obviously hates Trandoshans. Nice work, and I cant wait to see him in your PN. Will he be a good guy or a bad guy? For Rykrofs sake I hope hes a good guy!

Well--sorry for my brutal Jeg critique.  :-\ Im still a huge fan of your amazing work and of course your PNs, and I'll be looking forward to seeing more!  8)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: July 10, 2007, 08:35 PM »
they are all really good. only thing i find distracting is the skirts on the naboo guys. it looks massive compared to their body. besides that though i like em. good job!!!! ;D
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: July 11, 2007, 09:36 AM »
Wow! Obvisly fatherhood hasn't slow down your customizing. You've got some very cool stuff there. I also can't believe you used an McR2 and McChewie for customzing. You might start a revolt amoung those that have never seen either one of those in the wild. I can imagine what you could do if you learned to cast parts. I like the B4-R4 the most. Very unique. The McChewie base figure is also a great base for a Snoova.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: July 11, 2007, 12:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for the honest feedback.  On Jeg Kallis and Typho, I really wanted to add articulation to their legs, and ended up repainting the figures.  I happen to like the figure and think it's a big improvement on the Panaka design, mainly because of the paint job I suppose (and I like the change of helmets).  I understand the skirt piece does look big - that's because of the holster on the leg under the skirt.  I might end up trimming the holster down.  When the photonovel is made with that figure and the Captain Typho custom, at the very least I'll make sure I take pics where the skirt pieces don't look so bulky.  For example, I don't think it looks as big on Typho in this running pose -

Sorry I used a McQuarrie R2 for a custom... ha ha.  To me I get more excitement out of figures like that for the customizing potential... so even if that figure was so rare that it was over a hundred dollars or something, and I only had one - I'd still customize it. 

And Phruby, you're right - to this point fatherhood hasn't slowed me down.  He sleeps a lot at this age (as I'm sure you know of course).  Maybe since the little stuffed Anakin you sent is in his crib, he's ok with me customizing while he's napping.   ;)

If anything, I'm at the point right now where I'm trying to maximize my time for customizing.  I actually finished up 4 more customs last night.  Three of them are for a photonovel, and I might save showing them for the next PN.  One is a surprise and I don't want to show it before its appearance.

Thanks again guys.

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: July 14, 2007, 01:18 AM »
Wow, I've been gone for a while.
Nice customs chewie, I love the naboo guardsmen...since when are there articulate naboo?
Hey...you had a son, congratz!
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: July 23, 2007, 11:45 AM »
Thanks Clone Commander, and I've got quite a few more customs here.  I took a bit of time off after fiinishing up the latest PN, and have a fresh new batch of customs now -

Death Star Trooper - The one on the left is my revamped version, in an attempt to make his body seem more proportioned.

head/helmet - TAC Death Star Trooper
arms - SAGA2 Death Star Gunner
gloves - Evolutions Darth Maul
legs - ROTS Prisoner Chancellor Palpatine
torso - TAC Death Star Trooper

Ithorian Smuggler - Name speaks for itself, look for him in a PN someday.

head - POTF2 Hammerhead
arms - POTF2 Hammerhead
legs - POTF2 Hammerhead
torso - SAGA2 Hammerhead
tunic - SAGA2 Hammerhead
cape - Pirates Figure

Coruscant Denizen - Just a resident roaming the crowded streets of Coruscant.

head - SAGA Djas Puhr
hands - SAGA Dhas Puhr
arms - POTF2 Speederbike Luke
torso - POTF2 EU Luke
legs - POTF2 EU Luke

Rykrof Enloe - Naboo attire.

head - SAGA Endor Trooper
arms - TAC Gunner Han Solo
torso - ROTS Prisoner Chancellor Palpatine
legs - ROTS Prisoner Chancellor Palpatine
arms - VOTC Han Solo

Coruscant Peace Officers - Since Rykrof is no longer a Peace Officer for the Republic, someone's got to fill his shoes, right?

heads - 21st Century German Officer, EPI Naboo Guard
torso - OTC General Madine
arms - SAGA Lt. Faytonni
gloves - TAC Death Star Trooper
tunic - OTC General Madine
legs - Evolutions Darth Maul

Finis Valorum - Latter days of the former Chancellor...

head - EPI Chancellor Valorum
hands - POTJ Rebel Fleet Trooper
cloak - ROTS Prisoner Chancellor Palpatine
arms - ROTS Prisoner Chancellor Palpatine

Gamorrean Thug - Employed throughout the galaxy for guard duty by crime lords, gangsters, terrorists and other shady organizations... will appear in PN.  Once I get the hood to make another of him, I will.

head - POTF2 Gamorrean Guard
hood - ROTS Deluxe Emperor Palpatine
torso - TAC Mustafar Lava Miner
arms - TAC Mustafar Lava Miner
legs - TAC Mustafar Lava Miner

Also, proud to say that my son, Kiefer, is two months old today!  Whoo Hoo!

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: July 23, 2007, 03:19 PM »
 ;D Congrats Chewie! On the son and the customs .I really like the gamorrean guard! The rest were great too! 8)
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: July 23, 2007, 05:15 PM »
What a cute Kiefer picture! Two months already, wow.  :)

The Gammorean is definitely the best of that batch but the rest are really neat, too. That's great work on the DST, it'll be great if your PN includes them later on with a variety of  headsculpts. I also really like that Alyssa custom I think its one of your best PN customs.  8)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!