Author Topic: T_K's Customs Better pix of shadow trooper pg. 6  (Read 18544 times)

Offline Talon_Karrde

• Jedi Initiate
  • NO! This one goes here; and that one goes here.
    • View Profile
T_K's Customs Better pix of shadow trooper pg. 6
« on: July 30, 2004, 09:34 AM »
Heres one I did sometime ago. This is from Dave Dormans rendition of Ulic on the cover of Tales.  Heres the link to the write up and a couple more pics.  Tony's Custom

« Last Edit: May 8, 2006, 09:24 AM by Talon_Karrde »
This is my avatar. Talon Karrde

Offline Talon_Karrde

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Ulic
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 11:09 AM »
heres one I did a while back, and is still my best work, atleast in my opion  ;D. This is Dave dorman's rendition of Ulic from tales of the Jedi.

PARTS

Head: Titan AE Kale from the ship
Torso: POTF2 Lando Calrission General
Arms: EP1 Obi wan jedi duel
Legs: POTF2 Lando Calrission General
Guantlets: EP1 Obi Wan Lower Boots

MODIFICATIONS

I had the boots a tan color and the shirt was a lighter blue. I also had problems w/the paint flaking off when his arms were moved, and finally found a varnish that sealed it nicley. It was a semi gloss, which turned out too shiny, so i used Modge Podge Matte over this to cover the areas that I thought shouldnt be too shiny. The shoulder guards are threaded beads (various sizes), that I had made into strips of different legths. I glued some elastic too the shoulders and then glued each beaded strip to the elastic from shoulder too shoulder. I painted them w/a mixture of browns and tans to get a faded leather look. I then coated them w/elmers clear skool glue so that they all met together and held the basic shape I wanted.

The arms were a littel tricky. I had to drill holes into the forarms of the obi wan arms, and then the tiny pieces used for the gaunletts. (I think I used pieces of paper clips and plumbers epoxy to make the arms stong enough to be moved in different poses). I then inserted the hands into the guatletts and then glued them to the forearms. I had too sand quite a bit in order to get the right fit. The strap on the lando general was dremeled off and sanded very smooth. I wanted to keep the natural folds in the shirt and add some aswell.

At this point I wasnt sure how I was going to do the sash, and the numerous customs I peeped had the sash as an under shirt, with the tails hanging down the front. I finally got the Dave Dormans artwork book and noticed he drew Ulic w/a sash(over the blue shirt, not under). I hadnt experimented w/sculpy at this point and I was thinking along the lines of a soft goods type effect. Then while going threw some vintage figures I had lieing around, it hit me!! A vintage royal guard cloak! I used the under side as this wasnt as fuzzy as the exposed side on the RG. I cut a strip and folded it for the part that went over his shoulder and down the front. I left enough to make the frayed ends that hang down to his knees. I like the action pose of Dorman's drawing so I decided to try and get a "blowing in the wind look". I made numerous cuts w/scissors to get the right effect for this and the frays. I coated some of the sash w/elmers glue to stiffen it up a bit, and added some red paint to cover up some of the blue paint I had gotten on the sash. I then took the same thread used for the beads to wrap around the wrists and boots. I had no idea what these were supposed to be from the pic so I winged it. The belt is compromised of different parts from other toy lines: Pouches, belt buckles and a piece from one of the ep1 accessory packs. I glued all of this to a rubber band and then wrapped it around the waist. It took some planning to get the fit just right, but I like the effect it gives. The piece on the right I had to guess at as too what it was, I took some cord and glued one end to the belt compartments. The front portion I used a necklace ring and threaded it onto the the cord and then closed the ring. The silver piece that this ring attaches too is from a pendant that was cut off and then glued to the belt. Theres also a smaller thread used that was done the same way. I had no idea what these were so I just winged it. The head still comes out, incase I find one better, but for now it fits tight enough for display.

LORE:

Ulic Qel-Droma was one of the Jedi Knights who fought on Onderon. When Sith forces began appearing, Ulic attempted to fight them by learning their secrets. He failed and fell into the Darkside, becoming one of the Sith.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 11:16 AM by Talon_Karrde »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Ulic
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 12:04 PM »
Excellent job - you did such great work on this; especially on the outfit - what excellent details!!!

My ONLY suggestion might be a different head - this one is nice, but maybe the hair and face make it look just a bit cartoony - that is NOT a complaint, just a thought.

Still, this is an A+++.

Thank you for sharing, these customizing boards should be more active here!   :D

:P

Offline Talon_Karrde

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Ulic
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 01:01 PM »
Thanks Chewie.  I have been looking for a new head for sometime now, and just cannot find one that i like better.  When EPIII hits, I may be using the long haired anakin head; since Dorman's original piece was drawn with shoulder length hair.

Offline Talon_Karrde

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
EU CW Arc Commander Pyke
« Reply #4 on: June 2, 2005, 09:22 PM »
Well, I finally finished him off, i think.   I liked DD's Micronpen use with the republic commando he did, so I decided to try it myself; although I used a regular felt type pen, and didnt add too much with it.  this guy has been through the wringer and back.  lmk what you think guys!

BTW, DD has made a big impression on me with weathering and detailing. 

I THINK  ??? I'm starting to get the hang of it.   ;D

« Last Edit: June 3, 2005, 03:45 PM by Talon_Karrde »

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
Re: EU CW Arc Commando
« Reply #5 on: June 2, 2005, 09:46 PM »
Holy crap!

That is one detailed ARC trooper. I like all the additional gear and the additional pockets you added to his gun skirt...very cool, and really sets up the feel that this is a guy who spends a lot of time behind enemy lines on Special Ops with little to no support.

I like the design of this guy a lot. What did you name him?

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Talon_Karrde

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 2, 2005, 09:54 PM »
Holy crap!

That is one detailed ARC trooper. I like all the additional gear and the additional pockets you added to his gun skirt...very cool, and really sets up the feel that this is a guy who spends a lot of time behind enemy lines on Special Ops with little to no support.

I like the design of this guy a lot. What did you name him?

-DD

Thanks DD!  I changed the belt 3 times before I got to what u see, and the bandolier thing was an epifany (SP?)

Yeah right! Either that or he got left behind on tatooine and didnt know the war was over and wound up living with the Tuskens.   :D

oops!  I never thought of giving him a name.  I dont read the Republic comics so i am kinda in the dark about the naming conventions.  How about Numb Nuts?   :P 

What's a good Loner Name?

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 2, 2005, 10:13 PM »
I like it! Especially the painted GI Joe knives :P I'm actually using those knives for a custom I'm doing also. Those are cool.

I love the weathering and the detail you put in this ARC. I'm still awaiting my clone 4-pack (I KNOW!) and will definitely be doing something like this when I get it.

Offline Talon_Karrde

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 2, 2005, 10:35 PM »
I like it! Especially the painted GI Joe knives :P I'm actually using those knives for a custom I'm doing also. Those are cool.

I love the weathering and the detail you put in this ARC. I'm still awaiting my clone 4-pack (I KNOW!) and will definitely be doing something like this when I get it.

Thanks P!

Yeah those knives are perfect!  when i saw them in my junk box i was like OH YEAH!  I havent gotten the EE clones yet,  :'( I am still trying to trade for a set of the colored ones.    :)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 2, 2005, 11:57 PM »
I haven't gone too crazy on the Clone customs yet, but this is definitely a great custom.  Awesome job on part selection and weathering.  His pistols seem a little cartoony, but other than that, I love it.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #10 on: June 3, 2005, 02:38 AM »
Very nice!  Now I know what to do with all of my G.I. Joe knives! :P
Great weathering details and all of the accessories look fantastic.  Let's see some pics of him beating the snot out of some battle droids! ;D
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 3, 2005, 04:46 AM »
I'm suggesting the name "ARC Commander Pyke."

You've inspired me, Talon. I'm going to try to do an ARC like this too.

BTW, I took pictures of the new Gree's I did, but the lighting didn't give the colors justice. I'm going to take some tomorrow in natural light to see if that helps any. I'll post them then.

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Talon_Karrde

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 3, 2005, 08:20 AM »
I haven't gone too crazy on the Clone customs yet, but this is definitely a great custom.  Awesome job on part selection and weathering.  His pistols seem a little cartoony, but other than that, I love it.

Thanks Chewie! 

Yeah they do seem a bit much.  I weathered them as well but it didnt come out in the pix.  They've been in his hands for awhile now, and have streched them out somewhat.  Now no normal gun will fit  :'(  This guy has been through several stages so far, so i figured since i futsed around with him SSSOOOOO much, I might as well make it interesting.   ::)

Oh, if u click on "This is my Avatar", U can kinda see what Pyke looked like before.  He's the one to the left of Karrde.[/color]

Gregorbian wrote:
Very nice!  Now I know what to do with all of my G.I. Joe knives!   :P
Great weathering details and all of the accessories look fantastic.  Let's see some pics of him beating the snot out of some battle droids!   ;D

Thanks G.  I almost gave him Scarlets crossbow, but I couldnt decide if I wanted to cut that chip thing off of it or not.  I'd like to give him some kinda gatlin gun, but haven't determined what to use for parts.

After I pry my BD's from my 6 year olds grasp, I will have to do some action scenes.  :)

DD WROTE:
I'm suggesting the name "ARC Commander Pyke."

You've inspired me, Talon. I'm going to try to do an ARC like this too.

BTW, I took pictures of the new Gree's I did, but the lighting didn't give the colors justice. I'm going to take some tomorrow in natural light to see if that helps any. I'll post them then.

-DD

I inspired you?  No, no, no, YOU inspired me!  ;D  Pyke, I like that.  He is here by Dubed "Arc Commander Pyke". 

After I spend a few days with my wife and son, since i've been spending way to much time "Playing" with this guy, I would like to do another one like this but with the Clone commander skirt.  For some reason I like the AOTC clone style better.

Cant wait for those pix DD.  I'm sure the figs are awsome as usual.

« Last Edit: June 3, 2005, 08:30 AM by Talon_Karrde »

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #13 on: June 3, 2005, 02:07 PM »
I'd like to give him some kinda gatlin gun, but haven't determined what to use for parts.

I was thinking about making a gatling gun clone using the Marvel Legends War Machine Gatling Gun (the one on his shoulder) and making the double-handle out of a couple of blasters. 
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Talon_Karrde

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 3, 2005, 03:48 PM »
I'd like to give him some kinda gatlin gun, but haven't determined what to use for parts.

I was thinking about making a gatling gun clone using the Marvel Legends War Machine Gatling Gun (the one on his shoulder) and making the double-handle out of a couple of blasters. 

Hey, thats an idea.  I was thinking of using the Dlx snowtrooper canon one myself, although (A)I cant find, and (B) my memory is hazy on the details of it. 

Those 4" solider guys must have accessory packs with something I could use.