Author Topic: Customs by Darth Delicious- Update 10.25.08!!!  (Read 163007 times)

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
Let the weekend updates begin!
« Reply #525 on: October 22, 2005, 02:21 AM »
Here's my first submission to my regular weekend updates.

Not being satisfied with Hasbro's Bly "repaint" I decided to make one I thought better represented the character. Since I also was a fan of Bly as he appears in the comic, I wanted a version who could remove his helmet.

The pic shows him with one of his officers that I haven't doctored yet so you can see the differences. One thing that I plan to do to all my Felucia clones is lengthen their necks so that their helmets fit correctly, and their chins don't poke through the mask as they do here. I also will paint all of their breath filters as I did Bly's.

Here's Bly sans helmet:

I added a little of the scarring Bly has in the comic, but it's difficult to see in this pic. I'll get a better pic once I add the rest of the scars he sports in the comics. You'll also notice I allowed the lines from the lower portion of the clone helmet to show through the yellow paint as it does on his helmet in the movie...another detail Hasbro missed.

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Customs by Darth Delicious-New pics Sat. 10/22
« Reply #526 on: October 22, 2005, 03:40 AM »
This is a nother thread I have been forgetting to post in. :-X :-[ I'll do a breakdown for each figure.

Yoda: It isn't my favorite but I do like it. I don't know what it is, it may be partially the wide stance. What really gets me excited though, is the Dagobah set you are working on, that has been on my to-do list for a long time now. I really want to do something like Ruf Terrain's but I have neither the space, nor the talent. I'm really excited to see your take on this.

Elom: Very nice looking figure. I'm glad I was the only one that those "things" creeped out.

Stormpooper: I commented more on FFURG on this guy but I'll repeat myself. I really like the paint job, the color matches perfectly and the weatherng couldn't have been done any better, it has just the right amount, and it is in the righjt places, like the wings.

Duro Jedi: I really like this figure. I rather like Duros myself, I don't know why GL hates them so much. The drybrushing on the boots looks excellent, I really like the silver/brown combo. Which Anakin body is that? I'm stumped.

Durga: I've been working on custom Hutt to, mine is fan-fic though. I must say I really like yours, the paint app is great so far, it really looks like you used an airbrush.

Bly- Your newwest Bly looks pretty good. The weather is top notch and you seem to have matched the color pretty good.I think he actually should have 2 colors of yellow on his legs. There is a stripe down the middle that should be the same color as the helmet and other striping and the other color should be a brighter yellow. I didn't even notice that the blue stripes showed through in the movie, I'll have to ivestigate that.

Great updates DD, sorry it took me so long to reply,
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 22, 2005, 11:32 AM »
Your Bly is looking really nice DD.  I might suggest a bit of weathering up around the shoulders/biceps area too, and a touch of it on the helmet.

I don't like how Hasbro missed painting the breathing filters either.  I need to fix that also.  I did fix it on the Coruscant Clone 5-pk Target exclusive though.

:P

Offline darth_ripley

• Jedi Initiate
  • i'm the monster's mother...
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 22, 2005, 02:51 PM »
i just finished my custom Bly last nite actually DD  :)

i like the removable helmet a lot, Bly looks great. i just cheezed out & repainted a red Commander for my Bly, so my kama & buckles are not as accurate, but it will do since i already had a Felucia grunt done awhile back too. i'll start a thread next week with some stuff i have done & some WIP stuff.

other than Chewie's suggestions, the shoulder pauldron on Bly should be a reddish/brown color, like in this pic. not trying to nitpick, believe me, i just looked at the pic all day yesterday  :P one thing i like to do to make the brown Hasbro dirt on the legs look more movie-like and not so uniform is to lightly sand it a little here & there. i did that on an Unleashed Clone, on his legs and it improved the look a billion times.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 02:53 PM by darth_ripley »

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 22, 2005, 03:02 PM »
Thanks for posting that pic, Dath Ripley! It's reminded me of how I have to go with a lighter shade of yellow on Bly's inner thighs. I take issue with the reddish brown on the pauldron, though...every pic I've seen (including the one posted) just looks like a dirty dark yellow to me.

The sanding tip is also appreciated...I never thought of that! I will give Hasbro props for doing a better weathering job on the Evoloution Clone repaint, though...it looks like they finally designed a weathering pattern and screened it onto the actual figure. The 2nd version of the Evo clone even has a removable kama and a regular clone belt, so you can change him up and make him one of the clones from the landing pad when Yoda leaves for Kasshyyk.

I hope you'll post some of your work soon!

Chewie: Bly does have some shoulder weathering, but unfortunately, the flash washed it out.

Looks like I have some boot/thigh detailing to do, as well as repainting those kama stripes white...

-DD
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 01:54 AM by Darth Delicious »
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #530 on: October 22, 2005, 09:59 PM »
On a non custom note; I love the new avatar. :)
"This is the way."

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Let the weekend updates begin!
« Reply #531 on: October 22, 2005, 10:15 PM »
One thing that I plan to do to all my Felucia clones is lengthen their necks so that their helmets fit correctly, and their chins don't poke through the mask as they do here.

I asked on the FFURG post, but I'll ask the same here: how do you plan on doing this? It's something I'd like to do with my clones as well. I was thinking about adding something to the Clone's head on the inside, so that it won't sit so low on the neck.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 22, 2005, 10:29 PM »
Put the helmet on their face and then pull it back, thats how. Rather than push it down over their noggins.

At least thats how I'm told and I've seen it done.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Update 10/26
« Reply #533 on: October 26, 2005, 04:15 PM »
Hey Ryan! Yeah, the new avatar seems to be a hit!

In answer to the clone neck posts dilemma, I'm going to cut the necks off, build up the area with epoxy, and then reattach the neck to the heightened base.

Here's a few quick updates. I know these aren't some of my more complicated works, but I'm not as prolific and creative as Chewie.   :)

First, a couple of Aqualish toughs, a local crime boss and his enforcer. I think they're brothers. Nepotism, don't ya know.

I'm going to repaint the whiskers on the first one, I think...give it a little more white. I may also give his outfit another drybrushing with some blue to tone down that gray.

Here's a shot of the Aqualish enforcer from the back. His hair is greasy.  :P

Next up, a fan-fic Clone Intel unit.

This design in loosely based on some conceptual drawings in the Art of ROTS book.

-DD
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 10:06 PM by Darth Delicious »
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Customs by Darth Delicious-New pics Wed. 10/26
« Reply #534 on: October 26, 2005, 04:23 PM »
Hey, I love the Aqualish guys!  Is that a Ree Yees body?  Excellent choice of parts and painting.  I wish I had these two.

Also, extremely clever idea to repaint the "tusks" on the 2nd one to give a little more variety!  I would never have thought of that.

The clone is cool, too, even though custom clones aren't my forte (I can never tell which ones were made by Hasbro and which weren't - some consider that an insult, some a compliment!  ;)

I guess the custom ones are weathered and the Hasbro ones ain't.  Still, nice work.
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #535 on: October 26, 2005, 10:16 PM »
Great updates!  That removable helmet Bly is excellent, I really want to try one out.  Great job matching up the paint colors on the Evo Clones.

The Aqualish thugs are very well done and they look like they can dish out a beating.  I like the chainmail kama on the Aqualish on the right. 

That Clone Intel Officer is awesome.  I saw one on e-Bay (was it aeseven7's?) and I like your version as well.  Did you cut an Evo Clone helmet and attach the face part to a Bacara head?  Whatever you did it looks perfect!  Is the helmet still removable?

Great update DD!
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 27, 2005, 02:06 AM »
Ryan: That is indeed a Ree Yees body on that first Aqualish.

Greg: Glad you like the Bly...I like the character too much to let Hasbro's version stand.  ;)

Glad you like the Kama; it was originally from a Zam Weseell, then  cannabalized from my first attempt way back when at an ARC trooper. (Never posted, because it turned out fairly crappy.) I have a few other Aqualish in the works, but ones that I'm doing a little resculpting on so they don't all look like Ponda Baba with a change of clothes.

Good job on figuring out how I made the helmet! It is indeed removable; I hollowed out the Bly helmet, then cut the face plate from the Evo clone and glued it in. It fits really nicely, so I may do a few more.

Now get going on updating your thread, Greg! Chewie and I can't do it all!    ;)

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 27, 2005, 02:38 AM »
Damn!  These look great.  I have to go to bed, but I'll comment more tomorrow!

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
« Reply #538 on: October 27, 2005, 06:32 AM »
Awesome Figures DD I especially like the Clone troopers always been my favourite figures.

Ron

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 27, 2005, 10:45 AM »
Clone Intel Unit - What a great, unique design.  The helmet really distinguishes him from other clones!  Wonderful idea and execution!

Aqualish Thug #1 - I think this is a great use of the Ree Yees body, I could totally see him starting bar fights on Coruscant somewhere.  And great color scheme too.  Well done!

Aqualish Thug # 2 - Good use of that body too, it doesn't really look like an outdated sculpt with your painting skills.  The Zam Wesell kilt thing is a perfect touch!