Author Topic: iPod-racing  (Read 85075 times)

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
Re: iPod-racing
« Reply #105 on: May 8, 2006, 12:50 PM »
Ok, I need some conformation on something. I want to get an iPod, but I heard that you HAVE to use iTunes to get songs and put songs onto the iPod, and that you can't load songs that are already on your computer. I don't have nor want iTunes, and I don't want to buy songs that I already have. If this is true, I'll stick with my Rio I currently use. If not, I'll jump to the dark side.

iTunes is the program used to program your iPod.  You can buy music from the iTune store, you can upload your CDs by importing them into your iTunes Library, or you can upload songs already existing on your computer.  The program is not bad at all.  The store is limited in my opinion.

The only problem I had was the compatibility with certain music files.  I wrote about a problem I had a few pages back when I tried to load the "Battle of Heroes - Radio Mix" onto my iPod.  I got an error about iTunes unable to convert the files from a WMA file to a iTunes file.  Same thing happened when I got a free download of Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie" from her website.  iTunes would not upload the files.

However, after browsing iLounge.com, I learned that I had to burn those songs onto a CD, and then upload the songs into iTunes directly off the CD.  So now, I can listen to "Hips Don't Lie" and "Battle of Heroes - Radio Mix" on my iPod!!!  Hoorraayyy!!!
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2006, 03:07 PM »
I guess it was going to happen eventually... my iPod died.  :'(

I was sitting at work yesterday mindlessly droning through the corporate day, when my iPod starting acting "quirky".  I was listening to my music in shuffle mode when suddenly, in the middle of "Personal Jesus", my iPod skipped ahead to the next song.  I thought it was strange, but just figured it was a mis-fire.

In the middle of the next song, "Dust in the Wind", the same thing happened - about 30 second into the song we jumped ahead.  Then, the third song, "indifference" stopped after 15 seconds...

The songs got shorter and shorter until my iPod was randomly shuffling songs after playing only 1 second of music.   ???

So now my iPod is stuck in an endless loop playing only 1 second of music and then skippnig ahead - powering off doesn't work, plugging in the power cord to recharge doesn't work, so finally I do the old "hard reset".  That causes my iPod to enter an endless "start-shutdown" cycle.   ::)

So, again, I go with the "menu&select" buttons to reset the iPod.  The iPod restarts this time without automatically shutting down.  I'm thinking I finally have it until I see this moster pop up:

www.apple.com/support/iPod

And then it powers down.  Every time I turn it on, I get this little screen of death with the folder pic and that web address.  So, I waited until I got home from work last night and then jumped into the apple site to see if I could repair my little 'Pod.

I tried just about everything they recommended on the 5 Rs page- reset the iPod, restarting the iPod, retrying the iPod on USB instead of fire-wire, re-installed the iPod software, restored the iPod factory settings.

Finally, the full re-installation of the iPod software and the full factory restore seemed to work.  I turned my iPod on and it worked!  On comes the main menu and... no music.

Yep, all the music had been deleted from my iPod.  Ugh.  So, I go to reload all 2750+ songs back onto my iPod when I am greeted with this little image:

And nothing.  I tried manually forcing my iPod nto disk mode and then going through the FULL reinstall of the iPod software and the FULL restore three more times, and every time I get to the stage where I try to upload the music to my iPod and it crashes all over again... with some error message that I do not have permission to write to that drive popping up on my PC.

:'(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2006, 05:17 PM »
I guess it was going to happen eventually... my iPod died.  :'(

I was sitting at work yesterday mindlessly droning through the corporate day, when my iPod starting acting "quirky".  I was listening to my music in shuffle mode when suddenly, in the middle of "Personal Jesus", my iPod skipped ahead to the next song.  I thought it was strange, but just figured it was a mis-fire.

In the middle of the next song, "Dust in the Wind", the same thing happened - about 30 second into the song we jumped ahead.  Then, the third song, "indifference" stopped after 15 seconds...

The songs got shorter and shorter until my iPod was randomly shuffling songs after playing only 1 second of music.   ???

So now my iPod is stuck in an endless loop playing only 1 second of music and then skippnig ahead - powering off doesn't work, plugging in the power cord to recharge doesn't work, so finally I do the old "hard reset".  That causes my iPod to enter an endless "start-shutdown" cycle.   ::)

So, again, I go with the "menu&select" buttons to reset the iPod.  The iPod restarts this time without automatically shutting down.  I'm thinking I finally have it until I see this moster pop up:

www.apple.com/support/iPod

And then it powers down.  Every time I turn it on, I get this little screen of death with the folder pic and that web address.  So, I waited until I got home from work last night and then jumped into the apple site to see if I could repair my little 'Pod.

I tried just about everything they recommended on the 5 Rs page- reset the iPod, restarting the iPod, retrying the iPod on USB instead of fire-wire, re-installed the iPod software, restored the iPod factory settings.

Finally, the full re-installation of the iPod software and the full factory restore seemed to work.  I turned my iPod on and it worked!  On comes the main menu and... no music.

Yep, all the music had been deleted from my iPod.  Ugh.  So, I go to reload all 2750+ songs back onto my iPod when I am greeted with this little image:

And nothing.  I tried manually forcing my iPod nto disk mode and then going through the FULL reinstall of the iPod software and the FULL restore three more times, and every time I get to the stage where I try to upload the music to my iPod and it crashes all over again... with some error message that I do not have permission to write to that drive popping up on my PC.

:'(

Sorry to hear that. Do you still have all your songs in your library on iTunes intact? How long have you had your iPod?

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2006, 05:45 PM »
Yeah, all of my iTunes music is still stored on my PC at home (and backed-up to my old PC that is now just being used as a fancy extra drive).

I bought my iPod in July of 2004, so I've had it for almost 2 years now.  In those 2 years, it has been used constantly - 4-6 hours every weekday at a minimum.   ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2006, 10:44 AM »
Yeah, all of my iTunes music is still stored on my PC at home (and backed-up to my old PC that is now just being used as a fancy extra drive).

I bought my iPod in July of 2004, so I've had it for almost 2 years now.  In those 2 years, it has been used constantly - 4-6 hours every weekday at a minimum.   ;)

I fear the day this happens.... ;)
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2006, 11:58 PM »
Two days ago I joined the ranks of the iPod owners of the world. I got a 1 gig nano, in black, and it suits my purposes well, so far. I work in a kitchen, and I don't always like the music (read: crap) that they play, so now I can listen to my own, provided it doesn't interfere with my work. So far it hasn't. If anything it motivates me to work faster.

The audio quality is fantastic, and I can have all the music I need, right with me.

I purchased a sports arm band to hold the iPod while I work. So far, so good. I solved the problem of having the wire in my way with running it up the sleeve of my uniform.

What I cant figure out is iTunes.

Anyone have a link that ISN'T an apple sponsered how to?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 1, 2006, 11:18 AM »
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but we've never owned an iPod so I'm a bit of a novice.  Anyways, my wife's birthday is coming up in about 2 months, and I've thought about getting her an iPod.  As much as I wish I could get the spiffy video version, its probably a bit too pricey and I'm leaning towards the more affordable Nano.  Anyways, I've seen a couple of different kits where you can use the iPod in your vehicle (via tape or over the radio frequency I believe).  Can you use this with any iPod, regardless of size (meaning, do you have to have the larger "regular" version)?  Also, do these work at all?  It would be nice to be able to take it on the road with us that way too.  Just curious if anyone had any advice on this.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #112 on: August 1, 2006, 01:36 PM »
Brian,

I have one of these (there are several versions) and mine works great!  The one that I have plugs right into the cigarette lighter and the iPod attaches to the top, that way the iPod charges while you're driving.  It also came with a bunch of different adapters so it will hold any iPod.  Just shop around to make sure you get a good price.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 1, 2006, 01:39 PM »
Thanks for the info Matt.  I was curious, is one version better than another (or brand?).  Do the cassette tape versions work better than say the FM Tuner version, or does it make any difference?  Just curious, thanks again for the advice.

Offline Stim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 1, 2006, 03:22 PM »
I've got the TRANSPOD by DLO.  Works really, really well...highly recommended.  Works with Nanos or iPod Videos.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 2, 2006, 12:19 AM »
Thanks for the info Matt.  I was curious, is one version better than another (or brand?).  Do the cassette tape versions work better than say the FM Tuner version, or does it make any difference?  Just curious, thanks again for the advice.

I read a few times that the tuner drains the battery faster than the tape deck hookup.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #116 on: August 2, 2006, 11:17 AM »
It depends...I do occaisionally have to change the station on my FM tuner if there's a radio station broadcasting on the same frequency I'm currently using...not a huge deal.

Obviously, the cassette adapter won't have that problem.

As far as the power drain...I have the iTrip and have noticed no problems.  If you decide to get this one I advise shopping around...I got mine at Linen & Things for $60 and it was $100 at Best Buy.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Stim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 2, 2006, 03:53 PM »
The Transpod also powers the iPod, so no worries on power drain...

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 3, 2006, 08:48 AM »
If you decide to get this one I advise shopping around...I got mine at Linen & Things for $60 and it was $100 at Best Buy.

For $40.00 you wouldn't have had to admit to shopping at Linens & Things.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2006, 04:44 PM »
Well I'm working at my desk just now and my iPod shuts off... I pick it up, and it's practically on fire.  Almost too hot to tough.

The battery went dead despite being plugged in, and any time I turn it on (it wouldn't turn on at first) it instantly starts to heat up...

Anyone had anything similar happen?

The damn thing is only 7 months old and I'm insanely gentle with it.   ::)