Author Topic: iPod-racing  (Read 85114 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: iPod-racing
« Reply #195 on: February 12, 2007, 10:21 AM »
Yes.  Plenty of room left for music.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 12, 2007, 12:25 PM »

Rough estimate, how many songs??
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 12, 2007, 04:55 PM »
People watch full length movies on a 2" screen with 1 channel audio?

Cue R.E.M.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 12, 2007, 07:38 PM »

Rough estimate, how many songs??

I've got five hours of video which takes up 3 GB.  Then I've got 3K songs that take up 15.50 GB.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 20, 2007, 05:30 PM »
So I'm thinking about buying an ipod dock stereo and I'm leaning towards the Bose:

Bose Ipod Stereo

But I'm open to cheaper alternatives that have excellent sound quality.  Does anyone own or have experience with the Bose (or other brands)?

If so, I'd love to hear your insights.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #200 on: June 20, 2007, 05:36 PM »
No highs, no lows. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 21, 2007, 09:33 AM »
So I'm thinking about buying an ipod dock stereo and I'm leaning towards the Bose:

Bose Ipod Stereo

But I'm open to cheaper alternatives that have excellent sound quality.  Does anyone own or have experience with the Bose (or other brands)?

Well, Bose is usually considered the best.  There are so many stereo/iPod docks it's insane.  Any time I have an iPod question, I usually check out iLounge.com.  They have reviews of iPod accessories.  I've always wanted the iHome, tho.

I wanted a AM/FM/CD/Radio/iPod compatibale unit for my desk at work.  After deciding I didn't want to spend $100+ for a radio at work, I went with the simple alarm clock.  Most alarm radio clocks have input jacks for MP3/iPods.  The speakers are, of course, basic, but the sound is good enough for my office.  I don't need to rattle everybody's desk at work with my speakers anyway... ;)

My other diliemna is trying find a way to hear my iPod in my car.  I got a free (after mainl-in rebate) Belkin FM transmitter, but it stinks.  I've read that the FM transmitters are weaker now than a couple of years ago b/c of some new FCC regulations.  I want to install a simple plug-in jack into my car, but the dealership has quoted me $250-300.

On a sidenote, I finally got my 30gb 5th Gen Video iPod.  I am very impressed with quality of photos on the screen.  I have also been able to rip the Star Wars PT onto my iPod.  The sound is alo very good considering the iPod's capabilities.  The sound effects sound great with my regular in-ear headphones and especially with some better quality behind the ear headphoens.  Still need to add the OT now...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 09:37 AM by S_A_Longhorn »
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 22, 2007, 09:10 PM »
My other diliemna is trying find a way to hear my iPod in my car.  I got a free (after mainl-in rebate) Belkin FM transmitter, but it stinks.  I've read that the FM transmitters are weaker now than a couple of years ago b/c of some new FCC regulations.  I want to install a simple plug-in jack into my car, but the dealership has quoted me $250-300.

if you have an aftermarket stereo in your car you might read thru your manual and see if there is any option for a line in.  my alpine had an option where i can use the cd changer output for an aux.  i think the cord cost  $18.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 23, 2007, 10:24 PM »

Bose Ipod Stereo

I picked up a small Altec Lansing unit on clearance for under $100.  It sounds pretty good, but I wanted a cheap one I could use at work and not be devastated if it got stolen there.  I'd be happy using CDs at work, but the drive on my computer is so noisy that I basically irritate the hell out of everyone else by playing the music loud enough to hear over the drive noise.  Now it's better plus I'm not leaving 100+ CDs sitting at work, because those are more likely to disappear.  Plus the variety of all those tunes on the iPod. 

No highs, no lows. . .

This refers to the Bose dock, I presume?  When I get the basement finished, my plan was to go with a Bose dock for that room but you're saying the sound is rather flat, correct?  There's a neat Harmon Kardon out there as well at the same price point...
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #204 on: June 24, 2007, 12:14 AM »
This refers to the Bose dock, I presume?  When I get the basement finished, my plan was to go with a Bose dock for that room but you're saying the sound is rather flat, correct?  There's a neat Harmon Kardon out there as well at the same price point...

Nah--I don't have an opinion on the Bose dock stereo, or any other dock stereos, for that matter.  Just referencing that old audiophile joke:  "No highs, no lows, must be Bose."
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 24, 2007, 12:51 AM »
Got it, thanks for the clarification. 

My only real experience with Bose was in my wife's Pathfinder that had a Bose system.  Nothing really spectacular but it really still was just a factory installed system. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 24, 2007, 02:04 AM »
Brent,

I don't have a Bose but I use have the Harmon Kardon iSub+Sound Sticks in one room of the house and the JBL Creature speakers in the office.  The Harmon Kardon product is great, while the JBL leaves a lot to be desired.  Not sure what you're going for (size and sound wise), but try out the iSub+Sound Sticks and see what you think.  Our friends are consistently surprised by the sound quality of them.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 26, 2007, 12:04 AM »
Usually I advise everyone to disregard Deanpaul's boasting, as he just makes stuff up in order to blow smoke up his own ass, but I can vouch for him this time.  His computerized sound system sounds really good.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 2, 2007, 11:13 AM »
Dallas woman tries to buy $100,000.00 worth of iPhones to sell on eBay:

Link

HA

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 2, 2007, 01:39 PM »
What a stupid bitch!

I love that no one told her she could only buy 1 (or 2 at the Apple Store).  Not even the news team who did a good job staying out of the story.  100,000 would buy about 150 of the 8GB iPhones - most AT&T stores only received between 50 and 100 iPhones period.  What a vapid waste of a human, I bet she scalps McQuarrie figures as well.

Even if she could find 150 iPhones, they're only clearing $750 on eBay.  That could be a potential $15,000 profit for her, if her extra 150 phones hitting eBay didn't drive the price down.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life