Author Topic: iPod-racing  (Read 85069 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
iPod or Other mp3 Player?
« Reply #45 on: December 1, 2005, 01:15 PM »
Ok, help a guy out.  I've been left behind by the mp3 revolution and need to know the best way to listen to my tunes. 

Do I go for the Mac's iPod, or is there another brand/type that someone would recommend?

Ideally, I'd like something with a ton of storage so I can keep all of my songs in one spot.
« Last Edit: December 1, 2005, 01:15 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: iPod or Other mp3 Player?
« Reply #46 on: December 1, 2005, 01:24 PM »
I have a 20GB iPod (4th Gen).

I've had it for over a year now and I love it.  It goes with me almost any pace I go - work, the gym, in the car, airplanes, vacations, etc.  It's small and easy to navigate.  The 20GB holds about 5000 songs which is more than enough for my 350+ CD collection.  Since mine is older, it doesn't do the fancy color screen stuff that the new ones can do, but I only wanted it for music so it doesn't bother me.

My love for my iPod has finally worn off on my wife.  She got her very own iPod Mini in the fall (good timing too, she grabbed it just as Best Buy was clearancing them out to make room for the new Nano).

As for anything else, well, I've only ever had my iPod so I know nothing about any of the Sony or other model mp3 players...  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 1, 2005, 01:27 PM »
Hmmm.  I must be misinformed, I thought the iPod could only play music that was downloaded from their iTunes website.  So you can rip CDs from your computer to your iPod?  That would be a big factor in my decision.
« Last Edit: December 1, 2005, 01:28 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: December 1, 2005, 01:38 PM »
Hmmm.  I must be misinformed,

Yes indeed you are.  You can upload CDs into iTunes to use on your iPod with the click of a simple "import" button.

Check out our iPod thread for more info on how cool us iPod dudes are...  :P  8)

iPod Racing

I put detailed info in there on how easy it was for me to upload my CDs and import them into iTunes and more warm-fuzzies about iPod in general.

« Last Edit: December 2, 2005, 01:52 AM by JesseVader08 »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 1, 2005, 01:49 PM »
I still want an Ipod, but I'm a bit of a heretic in the Ipod world.  I have a Sony mini-disc player instead.  I've had it for several years and I actually like it.  It's like an old (but smaller and lighter) cassette walkman with interchangeable mini-discs.  Each disc holds about three hours of music, so it's not nearly so complete as an Ipod.  But I leave it at the gym and don't worry about not having it.  At work I play CD's, have a stereo in the car and at home, so it's not much of a big deal.  And they're dirt cheap, under $100 CAD too.  But I still want an Ipod.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #50 on: December 1, 2005, 03:27 PM »
I've had at least half a dozen MP3 players over the years.  Currently I have 2 or 3, but my favorite one is the Creative Muvo.  Besides playing MP3s and WMAs (which most of my music is ripped into)....it's also good for bringing files back and forth.  It is no bigger than a bic lighter, and though it's "only" 1GB, it costs less than 100 buck and is incredibly durable.  Plus 1GB of songs is plenty long enough for any plane trip, car ride or day at the gym you'll have.  You don't need connection cables, because the thing itself is USB, so you just plug it right into your PC.

I might jump on the Ipod bandwagon someday for the cool factor, but for now this thing is the best little player I've ever had.  Compare it to the Ipod Nano as far as features and price go.
Got Clones?

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 1, 2005, 05:37 PM »
I've had at least half a dozen MP3 players over the years.  Currently I have 2 or 3, but my favorite one is the Creative Muvo.  Besides playing MP3s and WMAs (which most of my music is ripped into)....it's also good for bringing files back and forth.  It is no bigger than a bic lighter, and though it's "only" 1GB, it costs less than 100 buck and is incredibly durable.  Plus 1GB of songs is plenty long enough for any plane trip, car ride or day at the gym you'll have.  You don't need connection cables, because the thing itself is USB, so you just plug it right into your PC.

I might jump on the Ipod bandwagon someday for the cool factor, but for now this thing is the best little player I've ever had.  Compare it to the Ipod Nano as far as features and price go.

The iPod equivalent is the iPod Shuffle.  Wife has one, and it is the size of a 5-sticks gum pack.  Holds about 120+ songs, and costs about $100.  It is a Flash memory stick in essence, but has great sound quality

I have the now-outdated iPod Mini Blue (replaced by the iPod Nano).  It is has a 4GB memory, which holds about 1,000 songs (I only got 950 songs).  It has a few scracthes and dents, but works perfectly!  I get an easy 10+ hours of play between charges. 

Upload your CDs, download "illegal" songs, or buy direct from iTunes or WalMart.com.  All the MP3 songs will work.  The iPod will organize the songs by artist, album, or genre.

The most popular feature with iPods is the ease of use.  Either the way to load songs or the simple controls, which is all done with the "wheel"

If you can find a iPod Mini for less $200, buy it!  Otherwise, be cool and get the iPod Nano!

"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #52 on: December 1, 2005, 07:05 PM »
I personally use a 15GB Dell DJ and I like it much better than any iPods. It can use MP3s or WMAs. And also holds data files. Mine is a generation 1 so it has a voice recorder built in. The quality is pretty good actually and it can record long bits of sound so it is good for meetings and such. I think you need to buy an attachment for the newer models though.

I really don't like iTunes or any Mac software interfaces for that matter so I got this partially so I didn't have to use iTunes. A really big advantage to the DJ in my mind is you can use almost any media player software on your computer. I use Windows Media Player, because I like that best, but you can also use REAL, WinMX(i believe), MusicMatch(Dell's version of iTunes, which also sucks IMO), and probably a few others.
"This is the way."

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 1, 2005, 07:59 PM »
Why has no one mentioned you can watch VIDEO on the new iPods? And not just the crappy U2 videos shown on the Apple website.

Holy mother of God buy an iPod!

I can record programs on my dvr, access them from my computer and transfer them to my iPod. There are utilities that allow you to put whole DVD's onto your iPod. You can also download some shows (more on the way) from iTunes for $2.

Get a freaking iPod video today.
« Last Edit: December 1, 2005, 08:00 PM by Deanpaul »
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 1, 2005, 08:17 PM »
Go for the iPod. It's the greatest invention since sliced bread. I don't know how I was able to live without one before I got one last year. I don't think a single day has passed that I have not used my iPod. I take it with me when I go out, when I'm in my car, when I'm at home... it's the best.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: iPod-racing
« Reply #55 on: December 2, 2005, 10:37 PM »
I just got an iPod Nano for my B-Day, which was today.

A question, will burned CDs work just the same as regular CDs when you import them?
« Last Edit: December 2, 2005, 11:05 PM by HunterofThePegs »

Offline Killer185

• Youngling
    • View Profile
"Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus. " - Lester Burnham, American Beauty

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 4, 2005, 02:04 AM »
I just got an iPod Nano for my B-Day, which was today.

A question, will burned CDs work just the same as regular CDs when you import them?

Yup - you can import burned cd's onto your iPod through iTunes just like a regular cd.

There is one draw back though - When you use iTunes it connects to the internet to pull down the name of the artist, album and songs. This feature works with original cd's but not burned copies. You can go into iTunes and manually enter in all of this info, which isn't too bad. You can select all of the songs and change artist and album name at once, then label the song names one at a time.

If any of the burned songs were bought online (by someone other than you) they may be protected/locked. They'll play fine on your stereo, but not you computer or iTunes. This is a draw back for me around iTunes. I can buy music easily, but I can't jsut make a mix cd that will play on "unauthorized" computers. ITunes lets you authorize up to five computers for your music, and the iPod doesn't count as one, but it's still a draw back.

Good luck - I've heard the Nano is really scratch prone. You might look into those Playstation plastic adhesive covers to protect it. I've read about people cutting those down to fit their Nano.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 4, 2005, 01:19 PM »
One of my accesories I got for my B-day was a really good, high quality Nano case so I don't have to worry about scratching.  :)

Offline IndianaVader

• Youngling
  • Senior Awsome
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 8, 2005, 04:20 AM »
I had the 4th gen iPod for the longest time.  Then about 2 weeks ago, I upgraded.  My mom was wanting one so she got the video, but she had no use for the video feature so I traded her so I could use the Pod to its fullest capabilities.  I must say it is pretty cool.

But the video features... right now, I'm going to be honest, it's a pretty overrated feature (unless you're buying it simply for music videos).  But it is cool just have some extra video on the iPod (some music videos, short films and video podcasts).  The problem is it sucks the life out of it to keep the video backlight on while it plays.  The battery only last a few hours if you do that.

Definately an upgrade, but I think it will be worth the money once iTunes utilizes the feature to the fullest.  Some more TV shows would be nice or even teaming up with ifilm or Atomfilms.

_Max
"So... could you blow up the world?"
"Egad, I hope not!  That's where I keep all my stuff!"