Author Topic: iPod-racing  (Read 85051 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: iPod-racing
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2006, 03:15 AM »
Wait a second, an iPod won't play MP4 format songs?

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2006, 09:39 AM »
No, an i-Pod can but the cheap MP3 player I bought won't.

After checking the i-tunes website I now find out that AAC is the only downloadable format.

And after googling for AAC converters, I find out that nothing works in regards to converting i-tunes songs (AAC/MPEG4) to MP3...

It's really a crock of **** because I paid for the songs - I own them in the true sense of the word yet I am limited as to how I can play them - (CD or i-pod only)!

>:(

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
Re: Should I buy an iPod?
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2006, 09:55 AM »
Also, make sure you buy these headphones:

Are these still available to purchase anywhere???
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2006, 10:07 AM »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2006, 07:37 PM »
I just bought a 30GB video the other day.  I love it!  Are those Apple ear buds the best kind to get at that price range?  I know my store has some noise cancelling Phillips headphones (the kind that fit behind your head as opposed to over it) for $50.  I'm just trying to find a great set of headphones/ear buds at a decent price range.

Anyone own the Bost Quiet Comfort or Triport headphones?  I'm reading reviews on the QC2 and they sound amazing, just pricey.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 08:08 PM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2006, 09:34 AM »
Thanx, COSBY.  I thought those headphones were one solid unit, versus interchangable ear buds.  They are not that different than the ones I currently use:

Here is the Griffin Ear Jams

iPOD/iTUNES QUESTION:  Last night I downloaded the "Radio Mix" of Battle of Heroes from StarWars.SonyClassical.com.  This is version of Battle of Heroes with all the vocal tracks that you hear in the music video.  However, when I attempted to add this song/file to my iTunes to place it on my iPod Mini, iTunes told me that is could not import the song b/c it was a "Protected WMA file."

I know this has something to do with all of that Copyright / Piracy Protection crap, but is there anyway to add this "Radio Mix" version to my iPod???  This is not an "illegal" downloaded song since it was compliments of buying the official soundtrack at Target, but I should be able to hear this song in any format I choose, including listening to it on my iPod.

Any suggestions????

EDIT:   After researching iLounge.com for a while, the only easy solution I found was to burn the Protected WMA file onto a CD, then upload the song into iTunes from the CD.  Hate to waste a CD for one song.  Damn these various music files!  >:(
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 12:33 PM by S_A_Longhorn »
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 1, 2006, 10:46 AM »
This may have been covered somewhere in this thread, but I've got a question.

More and Less
The new iPod boasts up to 20 hours of battery life(5), five hours more than before.

What's the deal?  I'm lucky if the fully charged battery on mine lasts an hour and a half.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #97 on: May 1, 2006, 10:57 AM »
My iPod (20GB 4th Generation iPod) is now almost 2 years old and I still get about 6-7 hours of battery life (if it's fully charged).  That's just listening to music though - if I switch on the backlight or do a lot of wheel-clicking, the battery is eaten up really quickly.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 1, 2006, 11:03 AM »
Hmmm... it might be time to run some controlled experiments and then bring it back to the Apple store.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 1, 2006, 02:35 PM »
My iPod Mini lasts a good 10 hours, buy my best estimate.  The more wheel-clicking or backlight using I do, the faster the power is drained.  And the power is drained really quick with the iTrip FM transmitter.

Let the your iPod play all your songs in order non-stop, to determine how long the battery lasts. 

Another question:  How long is the battery's life before they need replacement?  I've heard that is over $100 to replace the battery, and only possible by sending the iPod to Apple.

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 1, 2006, 09:04 PM »
I just got an Ipod for me and my wife yesterday.  I'm currently loading it.  We went with the 30gb video version so I wouldn't have to load it all the time.  I can just load my 300 or so cd collection into it and enjoy it.
This thing is a little bit on the crazy side.  I can hook it up to a tv and play a movie on it.  It's smaller than most of the calculators I've owned.
Technology is getting crazy.

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 5, 2006, 12:57 AM »
Well I haven't even had it week yet or even put my entire cd collection in it yet and I am just blown away by it.

It's just so small, yet so full of music.  Amazing, I can't believe how amazed I am by this stupid thing.

It has gotten me thinking about all my previous technological attempts at portable music.

The casette walkman, always needed to carry around a bunch of tapes with me or listen to the same maximum 90 minutes of music over and over.  Blank tapes were good as was copying tapes.  Sound quality was crap.

Next came the disc man.  Don't try walking with this thing, just stay perfectly still.  Again you needed to carry a bunch of discs around with you or you just listen to a very finite amount of music again and again.  I'm going to go toss my old now with a clear conscience as it is clearly an obsolete piece of crap that could be replaced for twenty bucks if I was ever so inclined to replace it.

Next came the cordless headphones.  Only good around the transmitter, with a one hundred feet you weren't going far, but it was okay for around the house.  Sound quality was quite crap.
Never really caught on, wonder why?

Now I've got something with endless variety, that is smaller than my wallet and I can access any song instantly.  It must be the year 2000.

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 5, 2006, 01:19 AM »
It must be the year 2000.

God, I wish.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 5, 2006, 08:59 PM »
Ok, I need some conformation on something. I want to get an iPod, but I heard that you HAVE to use iTunes to get songs and put songs onto the iPod, and that you can't load songs that are already on your computer. I don't have nor want iTunes, and I don't want to buy songs that I already have. If this is true, I'll stick with my Rio I currently use. If not, I'll jump to the dark side.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 5, 2006, 10:25 PM »
well..I'm not sure that you HAVE to use it, though I think you do, but you can just upload your songs to itunes...you don't have to BUY songs to get em' on iTunes.
Cheers!

- Joe