Author Topic: iPod-racing  (Read 85070 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: iPod-racing
« Reply #285 on: January 1, 2009, 08:51 PM »
I remember a guy named JediMac, but he wasn't really helpful, so who's this new 'thing'?

::)

Also, if someone could pass along to Jared (and the rest of the Coman-bashers) that it only took me 1.97 years to finally take my (5G-late '96) iPod out of the box and start using it, I'd appreciate it...  I want to keep my technological reputation intact.

Great X-mas gift, albeit nearly 2 years late.  ::)

God, I feel like I'm in high school again, making my bitchin' mix-tapes!  :-X
« Last Edit: January 1, 2009, 08:53 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #286 on: January 1, 2009, 10:10 PM »
Are you typing this on your new 3 year old computer?

Oh...I got a new iPod Touch...I love it

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 2, 2009, 07:39 PM »
I've finally joined 2001 and gotten an iPod too.  Can anyone recommend a good FM transmitter to play it in my vehicle?  My Ford Escape (2003) doesn't have an ipod jack, so I need to improvise.  Do you need to spend $100 for one, or will a much cheaper one work just fine?
« Last Edit: January 2, 2009, 07:39 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 2, 2009, 08:03 PM »
Jesse,
I don't know what your stereo is in the Escape, but I'd suggest for about $100 more than just the transmitter you can get a new after market deck with iPod controls on it.  Future Shop/Best Buy/Visions all run sales almost every week for decks with iPod controllers that are probably better than your factory unit.  I've yet to hear anyone really satisfied with their FM transmitter in terms of sound quality (comes out sounding like an FM station, go figure) and there can sometimes be hazy connections, or so I've heard.  Yeah, it's $200 but you do get a new deck out of it as well.  Convince the missus you need new speakers too, else you won't be able to fully appreciate the iPod. :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 3, 2009, 03:08 AM »
Yeah, it's $200 but you do get a new deck out of it as well.  Convince the missus you need new speakers too, else you won't be able to fully appreciate the iPod. :-X

Well you know, those back speakers are getting a little worn, especially the sub.  I like the way you think.  ;)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 3, 2009, 01:46 PM »
I've been debating on updating the head unit/CD player in my Explorer, but it looks to need a major overhaul in terms of putting an aftermarket deck in so I'm probably just going for one of those $30-$40 transmitters at Target.  Might not sound the greatest, but I'm done with subs/amps/etc in my vehicles.

This is my first year with an iPod and I'm still cleaning up everything in iTunes.  It split up all of my soundtracks and some of my other albums, but I'm getting closer.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 3, 2009, 02:23 PM »
I have the Belkin  version FM transmitter (comes with little cup holder things to store the iPod on).  I don't like it.  It seems to cut out a lot, but perhaps that's a function of being near Chicago where its very difficult to get open FM frequencies.  My parents have the Griffin version (iTrip I think its called) which was around $80 I think.  Their's seems to work flawlessly.  If I decide to get a new one, that's the version I'm buying.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #292 on: January 3, 2009, 02:35 PM »
If anyone had a tape player in their vehicle...buy a $8 tape w/ jack which plugs in to your iPod.  It is decent sound quality, no having to fiddle w/ FM stations and it is dang cheap

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 3, 2009, 07:29 PM »
I've been debating on updating the head unit/CD player in my Explorer, but it looks to need a major overhaul in terms of putting an aftermarket deck in so I'm probably just going for one of those $30-$40 transmitters at Target.  Might not sound the greatest, but I'm done with subs/amps/etc in my vehicles.

This is my first year with an iPod and I'm still cleaning up everything in iTunes.  It split up all of my soundtracks and some of my other albums, but I'm getting closer.   :)

you might check and see if your car factory stereo already has a changer jack in the back.  i bought one of these for my new truck and it is much nicer than the POS fm transmitter that i have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400019009969&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 3, 2009, 08:52 PM »
you might check and see if your car factory stereo already has a changer jack in the back.  i bought one of these for my new truck and it is much nicer than the POS fm transmitter that i have.

Interesting.  Will definately check out.  Thanks for the tip!  Also thanks to both Matt(s) on  the Amazon trick.  Works like a charm!   ;D
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 19, 2009, 10:40 PM »
i may be in the market for a new ipod.   i did a quick search and didn't see anything new coming out soon, but ipod always seems to have something right around the corner.  if i buy a new nano now am i gonna be pissed in 2 months when they release a 32gb?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #296 on: March 11, 2009, 12:23 PM »

The new iPod Shuffle.

(It talks to you!)   :o
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 12, 2009, 06:17 AM »
(It talks to you!)   :o

Now all that unholy thing needs is a red eye:

"Really?  Sorry."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 12, 2009, 04:57 PM »

The new iPod Shuffle.

(It talks to you!)   :o

Cool.  But the bad news is it won't work with third party earphones.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 12, 2009, 06:51 PM »
Cool.  But the bad news is it won't work with third party earphones.

Awesome.  I wonder if they recall how that proprietary stuff worked for them back in the eighties.  Guessing the answer is no. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.