Author Topic: Limited edition Star Wars Trilogy box set coming December 6th 2005.  (Read 4093 times)

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
This set will include the 3 movies from the other box set, minus the 4th disc repackaged with new artwork. Next there will probably be a 6 movie box set.

Click on the link for the artwork. http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=7825&n=1&burl=

Title: Star Wars Trilogy
Starring: Harrison Ford
Released: 6th December 2005
SRP: $49.98

Further Details
Lucasfilm and Fox Home Entertainment have released artwork for a limited edition Star Wars Trilogy set. The three-disc package will be available to own in both widescreen and full screen editions from the 6th December this year. Each should set you back around $49.98. As far as we know these will be the special editions only I'm afraid! Each film will carry a THX enhanced English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX track, along with an audio commentary for each film, and easterggs.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 03:35 PM by Commander Cody »

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: Limited edition Star Wars Trilogy box set coming December 6th 2005.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 04:08 PM »
****! That is some very nice packaging ... but no way am I going to buy the set again just for that reason. Why couldn't they have done that packaging on the 2004 release?? ****!
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 04:13 PM »
Beautiful art.  But still an easy pass.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 05:32 PM »
I can't wait to buy these again. I sure hope they kept Luke's Green Lightsaber from EIV in there or there will be hell to pay  ::)

« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 06:41 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 06:22 PM »
I actually do not like the art on the box.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 06:42 PM »

click thumbnails for bigger pics

You know, now that I think about it, I do own the Trilogy in 3 different versions on VHS...  Perhaps it'll go on my Christmas list.   :)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 06:31 PM »
I'll pass. Just another way GL is trying to milk us. Like a cow. Or as Greg Focker would put it: "You can... pretty much milk anything that has nipples."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 07:57 PM »
It's cool, but no thanks.

Now if it were the original originals...
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

SilverZ

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 09:20 PM »
It has an MSRP $20 less than the existing set, so I'm sure this will be on sale for 29.99 - 34.99 this Christmas, which is great for folks who aren't hardcore into the movies enough to want/care about the 4th disc, or want to give the OT as a gift, but think a big box that will cost them $60-$70 is overkill.

I don't really see it as milking fans, because I seriously don't believe its aimed at fans. There are casual Star Wars viewers, ya know.  ;)

What I will bother me, though, is if they actually fix the audio problems on ANH, which they never fessed up to in the first release, then don't issue corrected discs to purchasers of the original set. Missing audio cues and reversed music in the rear surrounds is pretty appalling. If I have to buy the new set to hear the audio the way it should have been the first time around, that will be angering.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 11:41 PM »
This original artwork is on an old poster I have on the back of my brother and I's SW collection room door-interesting! 8)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
I do not mind the artwork on the last release but that poster art is pretty cool.  I always liked that poster. 

Why would they ditch the 4th disc though?  I do not get that really.  What is the point of that?  Weird. 

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
^ I think this is intended as a stripped-down set for the "normal" consumer who is not likely to need those in-depth bonus features. If you haven't gotten around to buying the 2004 release, you're probably not a big enough fan* that you're interested in the 4th disc. Anyone who does want to see the bonus material has most likely bought the set months ago.

* Please note, I'm not making value judgements on "who's a true fan" or any such nonsense. I'm just rating the comparative levels of interest in SW, from "normal" viewer, to casual fan, to hard-core nerd.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 2, 2005, 05:30 PM »
You know, I have issues with the whole re-release thing. I saw the movie originally back in 1977 as a child at a drive-in with my brother. When you're 7-8yrs old and experience something like this movie it has an impact on you. Fast forward to 1997 and there's GL taking a big ol' healthy **** on my memory by what I consider ruining the movie, maybe that's not correct think of it more as ruining my memory. What he did didn't really have a positive or negative impact in my opinion. It's just different. I don't condemn GL for doing what he did, it was his vision even if it is my childhood memory but that's my two cents on the whole thing. I want this on DVD but I can't stand to see the newer versions. I was even more shocked when he went back and added the younger anakin to the end of Jedi. That said, since I didn't pick up the last set of DVD's, although I probably will at some point since it does have the 4th disc. I like the look of this new set and will probably pick it up. For the most part though, if anyone has ANH on laserdisc and want's to come off it let me know. I think I only have empire and jedi on laserdisc and would like to complete the set.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Preserve your 'original' versions of the movies!
who Learned you To spoke!