Author Topic: NO CHASE FIGURES!!!  (Read 5428 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
NO CHASE FIGURES!!!
« on: January 7, 2006, 01:15 PM »
Hasbro, please say the rumored chase figures are not true. This is a bad idea and could kill your brillient line ala Playmates Star Trek. I have been collecting the 3 3/4" figures since 1977 and spending my hard earned money on them since 1995. If the chase program is implimented, I will no longer purchase your product.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

SilverZ

Re: NO CHASE FIGURES!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 7, 2006, 08:44 PM »
Star Wars figures have never been restocked with the frequency required to support chase figures or even popular intentional variants. Implementing a chase figure program into the line in a non-movie year will only alienate long-term collectors and bring unwanted speculators and scalpers into the hobby.

Both of which I want to see none of, and will mean nothing but bad times for all involved.

No chase figures, please.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 8, 2006, 01:11 AM »
I know the original intent of the thread is specifically chase figures, but can we change it to HUGE HASBRO GAFFEs of 2006? 

1. Chase figures - above comments apply
2. Mini-me Carbonite block -  who the hell approved it at THAT size?
3. ?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 8, 2006, 03:32 AM »
Hasbro, I know you just resigned contract with Lucas for carrying SW basic line for several years, BUT,...will you have those several years after you lose your collectors(funders/line carriers) to this not carefully thought-out idea of chase basic figures...at the beginning of the contract???!!

Seriously look at all the websites' complaints on this matter- you seriously have ALOT to lose from this idea. Can I make a suggestion? I think your company should try more polling at major collecting websites(this one included) before making 'experimental' bad business decisions such as this.

Shall I cover some other 'experimental' Gaffes for this year's toy line already? Star Wars Transformers and bikes series. Please stop trying to mass market us into other failing
toy lines. Have you seen how the transformers are doing? sure you must have. Full pegs for regular transformers at all stores=they're not selling. So try to put a SW stamp on a different market product to try and bring us to it..c'mon ::)
Again try polling before experimenting...we do care- we care that useless toys that no one(majority doesn't) wants are clogging isle space that COULD be used for more of the traditional simple toys that SW collectors have always demanded.

Finally, the unleashed line experiment.....I see plenty of these full on the pegs at my stores, I go to those stores every day and they're not moving. I personally hate 'em and am voting with my dollars by NOT buying any. It seems at least in my area (a modest population of approx. 300K) that these are sticking to the shelfs just like the competitor LOTR mini figs. My suggestion: Lose the experimental ' We're Hasbro, we can place a better product to beat theirs' attitude and dump this line before you seriously lose on it and endanger my chances of getting basic figures anymore. Additionally these unleashed Battle packs are not as detailed as you promised at the CC AND... are quite sloppy >:(--Bring back the original unleashed permanently!

Final word- try more polls of IMPORTANT questions before taking action- if you get less than 50% support don't take the RISK and begin production!   

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #4 on: January 8, 2006, 12:55 PM »
Yeah, this is a big problem for me.  I love this hobby and I'm not flying off the hook saying "Thats it I'm quitting" like so many seem to say, I'll never quit it, I have too much of a passion for it, but I have recently scaled back mostly due to tactics like the "chase" holograms", and not realizing it, but I've spent hardly anything on the trading cards in probably 4-5 years due to all the "chases" they have gone too, now figs...I see myself scaling back now on them if this is instituted.  I'll "divert" my $ into things like the higher end busts and sabers for a while.

I may take some $ aside and instead of spending it on the mdse. for a little while, sit back and see where this all pans out, and instead spend some $ remodling, and making some display cases (stuff like that) for all the thousands of items I've already spent my hard earned $ on over the years.

Cases and tactics like that just kills hobbies.  Just look at the sports card industry.  Talk about making a quick buck while sacrificing the hobby itself.

In sports cards kids open cards to get the special chase card, and pretty much throw away all the other cards.  I hope that doesn't happen with figs, where we end up with hundreds of worhtless figs that we've spent years collecting.

Look at 30 year old sets of fottball cards where you may have one Joe Montana rookie card that feetches some $ and every single other card in that set is worth .25.  It's rediculous.

Could you see entire sets of figs rotting and not worth $1...I can.  We, as a collective have to suck it up, and say no at some point otherwise we'll try to make $1 in a day and sacrifice the long term benefits that this hobby has a chance of giving us.

I want people to walk in and see my collection and say "Wow, this is really neat it must have taken a long time and now must really be worth something"  NOT "Hmmm, nice, but too bad it's all worht diddly squat!"

We'll see what happens.  I'll pass on the chases, they'll be a fortune, sit back relax, have a cup of coffee, and wait for it to all go away.

Look at figs like Sacul where they went for $200 after CII, now they don;t sell on ebay for $30, Theatere Luke $150 when he hit, now he sits there not selling for $25.  Waiting pays off more and more in the long run as this hobby rolls along.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: January 8, 2006, 09:15 PM »
Hasbro,

Please, please, please, please do not start adding "chase" figures to this line.

3.75" figure exclusives are bad enough, but "chase" figures will kill this line...  :'(

Your Pal,
Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #6 on: January 8, 2006, 10:00 PM »
I don't support the idea of chase figures, and neither will the collector base that SW has relied on since the absolute disaster that was EP1 at retail.  We all love the toys, you do a bang up job most of the time, don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 8, 2006, 10:05 PM »
I have to agree with these gentlemen.  Chase figures are not what we want.  It is hard enough to find the figures at retail going into this non-movie year, please don't throw the stress of chase figures into it.  And you can be sure that's what they will add - stress, not excitement.

I'm not concerned about conceived value of my collection, I just want to have a fair chance of finding all of the figures that are produced.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: January 9, 2006, 12:55 AM »
Hasbro,

Please, please, please, please do not start adding "chase" figures to this line.

3.75" figure exclusives are bad enough, but "chase" figures will kill this line...  :'(

Your Pal,
Jeff

Jeff sums it up for me...

Don't do chase figures, at all...

If they do, will I quit?

No, but I can say my collecting habits will change.  Right now I'm a loose completist, but chase figures will 100% force me to dump that aspect of the hobby.  I'll go to a pick and choose category, which while I don't like everything in the line, I still like having a complete loose set... 

If Hasbro basically screws the collectors with these possicle Chase Figs though I can safely say I'll be saving a TON of money on SW figures I haven't necessarilly liked but that I've bought to "collect them all".  I'll just drop that attitude like a bad habit and Hasbro can toss off.

No more lame red lava figure exclusives for me...  I'll be too busy trying to track down that SA Biker Scout that's only 1 to every 100 cases.   ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 9, 2006, 09:16 PM »
NO CHASE PLEASE!!!

McFarlane's SP, Marvel Legends, and NOW Star Wars! DONT DO IT already had enough of ML, wait Hasbro is taking over that line too!!  >:(

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 01:52 PM »
I hate the idea of Star Wars chase figures. Regardless of whatever empty promises Hasbro will make towards distribution - I will probably never find one. Ever. As it is, some Star Wars figures are hard enough find when mass produced...

If Hasbro has any kind of love for the community, they'll drop the Chase Figure idea.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 02:49 AM »
I had a hard enoguh time finding certain "con-chase" basic figures over the last few years, like the CW SA Clone, Ephant Mon, the McQuarrie Trooper, and OTC scanning trooper, for instance. It was only through local collectors that I was able to get them. I will be very pissed if Hasbro decides to go down the chase figure path. I won't quit either, but I will definitely scale back. I don't see how the chase figures help them out at all, people aren't going to be buying up all the regular figures to get the chase figures, it seems to me they would lose money off this. They have to spend however much they spend on a regular figure to sculpt it, produce it, and card it, but they won't be selling enough to make significant profit.

The only people making money here are going to be scalpers. And judging by all the reactions to this idea, it will be the death of the line. Everone is either going to scale back or flat out quit, until there won't be enough support and Hasbro will pull th plu on the line.
"This is the way."

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 03:13 PM »
Yes, don't go the route of the dark side (greed) and throw in chase figures. I agree with my fellow JD members that it would severely affect people's collecting habits. Another thing, it is sometimes difficult to find certain mass produced figures because distribution is not totally wide-spread. I work for a toy store and I know that our store has never received certain waves of non-exclusive SW figures, whereas other stores in the area did. On the other hand, my store received around 20 case of the wave that had the illusive Shocktrooper in it... so you can see that if you begin with the "chase" figure routes, collectors in small metro areas may not even get to glimpse this so called figure.

I think I speak for all of us when I think there should be equal opportunity for all of us to find our beloved characters!

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 10:34 PM »
the only cahse figure would be the obiwan for courascant attack its more of the SA obis ;) that i want

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 10:00 AM »
Alright, now we know exactly what the program is. I have to admit, it could have been a lot worse, but it's still a bad idea that's going to alienate more collectors than bring them in.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."