Author Topic: New TSC Review - AT-AT Driver  (Read 5715 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
New TSC Review - AT-AT Driver
« on: January 17, 2006, 02:44 PM »
Well, here it is, my first review on JD.  I hope you enjoy and not take it too seriously as I am not a hard core fan that can spot inconsistencies as well as some of the veterans!

Let's get started!

The AT-AT driver is my first (and only) purchase so far of the TSC line.  I loved this figure when it first came out in 1980 ( I was four at the time) and I also loved him when he came out in 1998 as an exclusive pack-in with the almighty POTF2 AT-AT vehicle.

He was then later released in the POTF2 line as a Star Wars fan club exclusive (with a freeze frame)!  Name the other three POTF2 exclusive figures that the fan club offered for 5 bonus points.

ARTICULATION:  4/5

This guy is pretty much standard in regards to articulation.  He features a ball mounted head (for great poseability) as well as ball jointed knees.  Standard hip joints along with swivel jointed wrists and angle cut elbows are also featured.  As well, this figure features swivel jointed calves for extra poseability.

I'm not a big fan of swivel jointed elbows because they are easy to detach and often look funny.  I guess cost was an issue here as I am spoiled with the SA Clone Trooper. 

Overall, the articulation is great for a figure that doesn't have much action in the movie(s).

PAINT:  5/5

I am very impressed with the secondary paint ops that this figure has.  If you look at the head shot, you'll notice a lot of small details were caught.  I haven't compared the figure to the movie/publicity shots, but I'd guess it's fairly accurate.  It's simply amazing how technology/improvements in production has come in 25 years!

On the figure I obtained, there were no noticeable flaws which is a big accomplishment considering how many figures Hasbro crams out.  Employee morale in China must have been high the day this figure made its way down the line!

You can see the improvement in paint in the following photos:

DESIGN:  4/5

Aside from articulation and scale, I do have one minor complaint which can be taken as a compliment too.  As added detail, Hasbro decided to tool the AT-AT drivers leg straps as a separate piece (the first two versions vintage and POTF2 featured the straps as molded detail). 

I love the way it looks but it does pose problems if one decides to pose his/her figure in a crouching/sitting position.  But like I said before, there's really no reason for your AT-AT driver to be crouched but he does need to sit if he's going to man your AT-AT!  I suppose you could mess around with the straps (move them up) to allow him to sit which in the end, is no biggie. 

You can't have your cake and eat it too!

PACKAGING:  5/5

I must admit, I'm a marketing guy, so I'm a sucker for packaging.  And for the most part, I'm an opener (aside from the OTC line) so I'm pretty much sucked into to collecting this entire TSC line. 

I know how much it works to create a custom package for each release, and let me tell you, it's not easy and it's VERY time consuming.  So kudos to the SW Hasbro team for executing this piece of art!

As you know, this new line is reminiscent of the OTC line (black cardback with the Star Wars logo in a silver gradient).  The bubble has changed (more wrap around) and there is a new spot for the randomly packed holograph figure.  As with the OTC line, the backdrop behind the figure relates to the actual figure and is a very cool touch considering they could have went the cheap route and used a generic backdrop.

The cardback features cross-sell for the wave, along with an overview of the included figure.  As well, you must look at the back of the package if you want to see which holographic figure is included. 

No brochures this time :-(

GIMMICKS/ACCESSORIES 4.5/5

Gone are the days of useless pack-ins:  freeze frames (who has a slide projector these days?), Force Files, Commtechs, etc. 

Now we get a cool pack-in - a holographic figure!  I believe there are 12 total for this line 6 baddies, 6 good guys and they are only packed as such, meaning you can only get a baddie holograph with a villain figure and vice versa.

It's a neat idea that I believe came to fruition because of the collectors requests for holographic figures (see countless exclusives and the last wave of ROTS).  My figure came with a stormtrooper holographic figure - your mileage will vary.

Another neat pack-in that is included with the TSC figures is a film specific (not to mention character specific) figure stand.  This is a neat idea as a lot of us really do open our figures!  The film logo is engraved while the character's name is tampo printed (to save $$).

Nice job!

PRICE 2.5/5

It sure is tough to go from $4.79 all the way up to $6.99.  Two dollars is a lot of extra cash when you buy 100+ figures a year!  I look at it like this, are we gaining $2 worth of articulation/pack-ins?  No, not really - the ROTS figures were darn near perfect and they, for the most part, featured the same level of articulation, pack-ins, and paint ops. 

Sure, I know the reason why the price increased - demand and supply, but it's difficult to justify collecting after such a banter year with ROTS.

In the end, it's up to the individual collector whether or not these figures are worth the extra money.  For me, it's a simple yes.  I enjoy collecting with my three year old and it's worth the money spent to hear him say "Darth Vader" or  "Stormtrooper"  (even though it's an AT-AT driver)!

I'd rather spend $25 on toys versus $25 on beer, drugs or gambling - but that's just me!  A five year old stuck in a thirty year old shell.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 02:51 PM by ruiner »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: New TSC Review - AT-AT Driver
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 12:12 AM »
Great review!  It was fun to read, humour always goes a long way.  8)

I'd have to agree with you on everything you mentioned, and the closeup photos were great to show off the paint apps you were raving about (especially since I don't have this figure yet  :'().

I'd rather spend $25 on toys versus $25 on beer, drugs or gambling - but that's just me!  A five year old stuck in a thirty year old shell.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 09:18 AM »
Great Review Ruiner! I love the figure too. Arguably the best in the line so far. Excluding price, I think I'd rate everything a 4.5 out of 5 over all though. :P

As for your quiz question, was it not Ree Yees, Hoth Leia and the Death Star Trooper?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 01:12 AM »
Definitely a good thorough review Ruiner...  I liked it a lot, and you caught a lot of the qualities with this figure.

Something I think I'd note is that I Like that this figure doesn't blow the POTF2 AT-AT Driver so far out of the water that they don't display well togehter.  Unfortunately the OTC TIE Pilot sort of did that to the POTF2 sculpt...  They don't look quite as nice together, but the AT-AT Driver not so much and I see that as a major positive for this figure that the TIE Pilot didn't have.

It's ironic that the AT-AT Driver, who you saw much less of ever in the films, gets more articulation than the TIE Pilot.  I sorta feel cheated on the TIE Pilot now.  He should have those arms for his articulation, no doubt in my mind now.

For me, that articulation on the AT-AT Driver should be Hasbro's minimum standard for 90% of their figures...  Not for figs like Ask Aak, Mon Mothma, or Bib Fortuna...  But for everyone else, yes.  They shoudl then save super articulation for most troopers (AT-AT Drivers aside) like Hoth Rebels, Imperial Snow, Storm, or Scout Troopers, Fleet Troopers, etc...  But for Cantina aliens, Jedi (say a Mace Windu resculpt), or other similar figures, I'd think THAT should be the minimum 12 points of articulation just as the AT-AT Driver has them....  It's a compromise.  And of course "Senator-esque" figures and a select few others get less...  Like maybe a Beru and Owen AOTC/ROTS figures would get less than that 12 point standard, but really any character with action should have that minimum.

It kinda sucks that we have an AT-AT Driver that is better than any Rebel Soldier figure to-date, better than the TIE Pilot, better than any Imperial Officer figure, better than any Rebel Pilot...  When you think about it in those terms, you really start to think of what Hasbro ISN'T doing right with the line if you ask me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 12:08 PM »

For me, that articulation on the AT-AT Driver should be Hasbro's minimum standard for 90% of their figures... 

Couldn't agree more. It dosen't seem like it would hinder the look of any figure.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 01:53 PM »
Great Review Ruiner! I love the figure too. Arguably the best in the line so far. Excluding price, I think I'd rate everything a 4.5 out of 5 over all though. :P

As for your quiz question, was it not Ree Yees, Hoth Leia and the Death Star Trooper?

.........how about POTE SNITKIN, hoth leia, and death star trooper? Yeahhhh I win 5 points! I win 5 points! Can I turn them in for a george lucas stormtrooper mailaway?! :)

Nice review ruiner-just picked up 10 of these myself to share at our(SCers) meet-up this weekend!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 06:25 AM »
BTW you guys are all wrong.  :)

It's the AT-AT Driver, Hoth Leia, Pote Snitkin, and the Death Star DROID.  Not the Trooper.

The Trooper and Ree Yees were offered separately, but weren't exclusives...  They were just a bitch to find at retail till the FC said "OK we'll offer these at a premium".

BTW I seem to recall the famed "Fan Club 4" there being dumped at retail establishments too, weren't they?  My memory is a bit foggy but I'm 99% sure all 4 were dumped at Toys R Us during the great clearance gluts. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 01:16 PM »

It's the AT-AT Driver, Hoth Leia, Pote Snitkin, and the Death Star DROID.  Not the Trooper.

Well played! I hang my head in shame. :'(

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 01:55 PM »

Well played! I hang my head in shame. :'(

me too because I read death star and assumed it good Dammit! I knew it was a freakin' droid! Way to hammer Jesse :-[

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 1, 2006, 12:18 PM »
BTW you guys are all wrong. :)

It's the AT-AT Driver, Hoth Leia, Pote Snitkin, and the Death Star DROID. Not the Trooper.

The Trooper and Ree Yees were offered separately, but weren't exclusives... They were just a bitch to find at retail till the FC said "OK we'll offer these at a premium".

BTW I seem to recall the famed "Fan Club 4" there being dumped at retail establishments too, weren't they? My memory is a bit foggy but I'm 99% sure all 4 were dumped at Toys R Us during the great clearance gluts.

You're right on both points.

These were later found at TRU, along with Wuher (a one time FC exclusive).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: February 2, 2006, 02:54 AM »
I didn't realize Wuher was on that list too, actually.  I know I never found him so that's cool he showed at TRU.  I have an extra of him laying about that I got in a trade and since he kinda blows I don't know what to do with him.  Damn cup in hand.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 12:19 PM »
Great review ruiner! Nice pics, good detail, great job!

This is my favorite from the young Saga collection. I hope I can find more, and soon!