Author Topic: 2024: What Are You Collecting?  (Read 179536 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2020: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #375 on: January 8, 2023, 12:10 AM »
Feel like you should add a Stormtrooper to that list though 😉

Yeah... a Stormtrooper to stand by Vader would be nice... actually two so one can stand on each side.  And maybe Tarkin to go with Vader, the Stormies and Leia for a little ANH DS scene...   

See how easy it all starts to go downhill?  I better just skip that Stormtrooper for now...  #slipperyslope #staystrong
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 8, 2023, 04:24 PM »
Feel like you should add a Stormtrooper to that list though 😉

Yeah... a Stormtrooper to stand by Vader would be nice... actually two so one can stand on each side.  And maybe Tarkin to go with Vader, the Stormies and Leia for a little ANH DS scene...   

See how easy it all starts to go downhill?  I better just skip that Stormtrooper for now...  #slipperyslope #staystrong

Too true. Fair enough, admire your strength and look forward to seeing the set up.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2022: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #377 on: September 1, 2023, 05:36 PM »
How is everyone’s collections looking these days? It seemed like a lot of us were in the same boat, likely the result of being “in the game” for so many years. I’ve been selling a lot of stuff off this year again, but still probably buying too much. I guess I can feel better about selling off lots of 50-60 figures, but only buying 3-5. Just getting to the point in life, our house, and budget (with everything being so pricey) where it just gets to feeling like too much. At the same time, we are getting virtually every franchise covered and some pretty neat toys.

Things for me have basically gone as planned. Only six Black Series purchases this year, although I know I’ll get some of the Ahsoka series stuff. TVC has been most of the new stuff. I also pass on most of the clones now too, but get most of the rest. The army building stuff has slowed. I’ve snagged all the retros - relatively inexpensive, and a lot of fun I think. I just got the N-1, and love it. And I stupidly backed the Ghost that I have nowhere to put. Love that ship though.

Marvel Legends is honestly the budget hog. By far the most I have picked up, probably over 50 figures. I keep thinking I’ll be winding down there, but between the MCU figures and the definitive classic looks, it adds up more than expected. I’ve grabbed some Classified as well, great stuff as usual. All in all, still need to keep cutting back. Starting to think what am I really going to do with all this stuff? I’ll never have room to display it all, and it seems silly to store it all.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 18, 2023, 12:27 PM »
Finally sold off all my LJN Dune toys…almost finished dumping all my Pacific Rim NECA stuff too. Just started listing my NECA Prometheus stuff too, so the purge continues. really trying to just get down to Star Wars and some random stuff I love.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 18, 2023, 09:44 PM »
Glad to see that I’m not the only one doing some purging!  I’ve been selling off my McFarlane Sports Picks, ToyBiz LOTR and extra Star Wars stuff.  Almost all of my Mattel Marvel Secret Wars and Kenner Super Powers figures are gone.  Next up?  ToyBiz Marvel figures that were released before the Marvel Legends line was launched.  And there’s still some vintage GI Joe and Transformers left to go.  Ugh.   
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 19, 2023, 11:26 AM »
Still doing:
TVC: pretty much everything,
NECA Universal Monsters: I think they've done every one I'm interested in, though there could be accessory packs down the road.
GI Joe Classified: picking up a few Joes here and there.
Transformers: same as Classified

Still out of Black Series for the most part.

Have been picking up some G1 Transformers and Joes... Nick, if you have a list of TFs and Joes, I might help you purge stuff.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 14, 2023, 04:07 PM »
TBS 6" - No longer buying or collecting these.  In the near future, I'll be selling most of the 6" stuff I have (mainly Han Solo figures and some other main characters).  I am only keeping 8 figures from ANH - Vader, Leia, R2-D2, C-3PO, Ben with Holo-Leia table, Luke with Landspeeder, Smuggler Han, and Chewie.

How did the Black Series purge go Jeff? I sold a ton off this year as well, and currently have the rest packed away now. The lone exception is a Mando and Grogu on the desk. I rotate a small display of OT figures in and out once in awhile, but honestly with limited display space it seems silly to “double up” with all my 3 3/4” stuff out as well. I’m gravitating more and more to a “less is more” approach to display as I get older.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 14, 2023, 05:33 PM »
How did you guys do on selling your BS stuff?  I'm thinking of doing a giant purge of my collection if I can mostly get my money back.  Not sure if yours was sealed or open, but my 6" stuff is all open.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #383 on: December 15, 2023, 09:37 AM »
TBS 6" - No longer buying or collecting these.  In the near future, I'll be selling most of the 6" stuff I have (mainly Han Solo figures and some other main characters).  I am only keeping 8 figures from ANH - Vader, Leia, R2-D2, C-3PO, Ben with Holo-Leia table, Luke with Landspeeder, Smuggler Han, and Chewie.

How did the Black Series purge go Jeff?

Pretty good.  I kept the eight figures I mentioned plus two more - the Amazon exclusive ESB carded Carbonite Han block and a SDCC Kenner Fett that I forgot I had. 

I have R2-D2, C-3PO, Ben with Holo-Leia table, and Luke with Landspeeder set up on one small shelf.  Then Han/Chewie, Vader/Leia, and Fett/Block set up on another small shelf. 

How did you guys do on selling your BS stuff?  I'm thinking of doing a giant purge of my collection if I can mostly get my money back.  Not sure if yours was sealed or open, but my 6" stuff is all open.

I had every BS6" Han Solo figure, six from the ST (TFA Han, TFA Chewie, TFA Leia, TLJ Luke, TLJ Rey, TLJ Kylo), and a few other random figures either from Hasbro or from buying a set to get the Han figure or a Chewie to go with a Han  (Mando, Child, Hoth Leia, SOLO Chewie).  Everything was open/loose.

A few rarer older things went for good money (Hoth Han + TaunTaun, Stormtrooper Han).  The other older OT figures sold for pretty close to retail ($20) and the more recent OT figures all sold for $10-15 each depending how recent/available they still were at retail. 

I have a small pile left that won't even sell for $5 each at the local Toy Posse show - and it's pretty much what you would expect to be the duds: TFA Han, TFA Chewie, TFA Leia, TLJ Luke, TLJ Rey, TLJ Kylo, SOLO Han, SOLO Chewie.  I'll likely try one more time to sell them at a Toy Posse show next spring, but guessing they will eventually just end up in a donation bin someplace next summer.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 09:47 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 25, 2023, 07:29 PM »
Same old, same old for me in 2024 looks like.

1) Star Wars Black Series - still trying to maintain a complete collection but those @#$&* Holocomm figures are really pushing it.

2) Super 7 ReAction & Ultimates - still trying to be selective with these, but I’m all in on their Godzilla stuff in any scale.

3) The Ghost - Hopefully by this time next year I will have this in hand!  :)

That’s it, unless NECA does any more figures from The Thing. Will probably pick up some Marvel Legends here and there if they do any more classic FF characters. Will likely buy more Jurassic Park stuff on clearance too since I can’t seem to quit that line cold turkey.

And more downsizing for sure! All my McFarlane Stranger Things stuff gotta go. And all the extra miscellaneous crap I have lying around waiting to be sold on eBay.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 30, 2023, 12:50 PM »
Still doing:
TVC: pretty much everything,
NECA Universal Monsters: I think they've done everyone I'm interested in, though there could be accessory packs down the road.
GI Joe Classified: picking up a few Joes here and there.
Transformers: same as Classified

Still out of Black Series for the most part.

I think 2023 has been a turning point for me.  My interest in Hasbro's offerings in TVC has declined (mostly due to their lack of effort) and I'm kind of ready to quit altogether.  On the other hand, I feel GI Joe Classified has been more interesting, though I only get what I'm interested in.

My list for 2024 is:
TVC: Lack of interest is having me lean towards quitting. Will pick up a few that interest me. Would like to hook up with a local to get cardbacks though.
TBS: Out
NECA Universal Monsters: They've covered those I'm interested in, but if they give me a Phantom of the Opera Red Death costume or an accessory pack, I will pick it up.
GI Joe Classified: Have more interest in these, but will pick and choose characters I like.
Transformers: I think I have those that I want.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2024: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #386 on: December 31, 2023, 02:05 PM »
Looking to 2024, like others, I’ve sort of been in a transitional phase as well. Don’t get me wrong, I think what is available out there these days is an embarrassment of riches; so much cool stuff. Price, display/storage space, and just life in general changes your perspective on things. I’m realizing as I get older, I just want less and less “stuff” not only on display but in general. An eternal battle for a collector 😂. Broken record here, but I’m narrowing focus, being more selective, and unloading a bunch of stuff. Some lines I think I’m “good” on, and most to all stuff I wait a bit on. I used to have probably 50+ things on preorder at any given time. Now it is less than 10. Only things that are personal “can’t miss” items. Here’s what I’m looking at going into the New Year.

Star Wars TVC - used to be all in with new stuff but I’m more selective and waiting for sales with a lot now. I’ll stick with OT until the end most likely. I’ve got a Ghost on the way that I don’t have a place for, but that’s a future problem.

Marvel Legends - probably my favorite line the past few years. Started off long ago focusing on Spidey, branching into X-Men, and going downhill from there. I mainly focus on classic costumes, but get some of the new characters as well, and the main outfits of MCU. Buy too much here, but I’ll be working on that in the New Year.

GI Joe Classified - picking up the characters I remember from the toon/toyline growing up. I’ll likely continue but try to be more selective as well. Might be the best line out there these days.

That, for the most part, should be it. I think I might be done with Black Series as well. I’ll still be tempted to get any new OT stuff we get, and have the new Mando preordered, but overall the line just doesn’t excite me as much anymore. I think I have what I want for Transformers, and possibly MOTU as well although I do like the New Eternia stuff. Otherwise just one offs here and there. I got a few NECA figures (Alf, Warduke) last year, some Jada stuff (Chester Cheetah, Mega Man on the way), things like that. It is fun when I can separate myself from a “collect ‘‘em all “ mindset and just buying figures I think look fun or cool.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: 2024: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #387 on: January 4, 2024, 11:50 AM »
I have really cut back over the last few years too, due to both space and financial reasons. I was laid off last summer and sold a ton of Black Series and Marvel Legends on Mercari to get by. It really does create a snowball effect because now I want to get rid of 90% of what I own and condense everything down to 2 bookshelves or so. I've had a ton of internal dilemmas about Star Wars, mainly which figures to keep, and whether or not to keep alternate costumes (i.e. Yavin Luke and Stormtrooper Luke as opposed to just having Farmboy Luke, Bespin Han vs ANH Han, etc.).

Hasbro Star Wars: I made the mistake of hopping over to 6 inch from 3.75 inch, but I haven't bought anything since 2021, maybe early 2022, and it will likely continue that way. I'm trying to downsize like crazy so I'm planning on getting rid of most background characters and army builders. I also have my entire TVC/3.75 inch collection at my parents' house that I need to go through and sell. I want to get rid of everything outside of a few vehicles, and maybe the main OT crew to put inside the BMF.

Hasbro Marvel Legends: I managed to sell all of my duplicates outside of a few Spider-Man figures, but I'm still interested in any Spider-Man characters, and to a lesser extent, X-Men. Most of my main display X-Men figures are Japanese imports, with ML filling the gaps. Interested in a few of the X-Men '97 figures, and I'll buy anything based on the Raimi movies and 90s Spidey animated series. I'm debating going back and getting Andrew Garfield Spidey and the Final Swing Spidey but for now I'm happy with just Tobey Spidey.

Bandai SH Figuarts: These are my "main display" figures. I have the TPM 25th anniversary Qui Gon and Maul on preorder, and will continue to buy the 1-2 Star Wars offerings they put out each year. Last year I only got the Obi-Wan and Vader based on the Kenobi final duel. Both great figures! I do want to get rid of some stuff that is inferior to the Hasbro figures, such as Count Dooku, but I have almost every figure made from this line and my OCD hates that idea!

MAFEX: I really only buy their Marvel comic book figures, and only go after Spider-Man and X-Men figures. I didn't get to buy the Scarlet Spider that came out in 2023 because of my layoff, but with the Hasbro ML version on preorder, do I really need it now? Time will tell! There are a few cool Star Wars offerings coming, all based on Mandalorian S3, but do I really need to pay $100+ for a slightly better Bo Katan? Another Mandalorian? I think I counted the other day that I have 8 across 3 lines, so unless reviews come out saying those are the best figures ever, I'm skipping them.

Hasbro Indiana Jones: I never got into this line because I went all in on the 2008 line. I did pick up the SHF Indiana Jones, and I'm hoping that the Adventure Series hits Ollie's or Ross because I want to track down a Marion, Short Round, and Henry Sr. for cheap.

McFarlane DC: I own a ton of the DC Collectibles Batman TAS line from 2015-2020, and Todd has been rereleasing some stuff exclusively at Target. I picked up the Scarecrow rerelease a few weeks ago because I missed the original version of that one. There's an Alfred exclusive coming at some point, which is nice because that was originally only available in a Haslab priced Batcave set. After that, I just need to hope Todd rereleases some of the figures I don't have!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks