Author Topic: Transformers  (Read 365633 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers
« Reply #1305 on: August 5, 2009, 11:49 PM »
Saw Devastator at Target yesterday, pretty damn cool looking.  A must buy if I was into buying TF stuff.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 7, 2009, 11:49 AM »
I litterally just placed my order for MP Magnus from BBTS last night ($94.49) and now this guy pops up this morning.  I knew it was going to happen someday, but that's some coincidence. 
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: August 7, 2009, 03:33 PM »
That's a pretty impressive looking TF.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: August 8, 2009, 12:26 AM »
I got my HTS.com order today and Soundwave looks really nice.  I haven't opened him yet, too busy packing for the PSWCS summer social tomorrow.  Probably get to him Sunday night when I get home.  Glad I picked him up, though.

Also, saw Devastator at Target tonight.  Very huge.  I looks like it should make a decent toy, though.  I'm too lazy to read back through, anyone buy him yet?  Is it a decent toy?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: August 8, 2009, 06:00 PM »
I got my HTS.com order today and Soundwave looks really nice.  I haven't opened him yet, too busy packing for the PSWCS summer social tomorrow.  Probably get to him Sunday night when I get home.  Glad I picked him up, though.

Opened mine today - HTS threw him in a huge box with no packing material.  No matter though as he survied his travel in minty-mint condition.  Stickers are off-centered which kinda sucks, but it's good ol G1 SW so I'm happy.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: August 10, 2009, 12:18 PM »
I got my HTS order as well, and I'm happy I ended up ordering the Soundwave.  I haven't gotten a chance to open it yet either, but this was a Transformer I always wanted as a kid and it is cool to be able to get it now.  It does make me want to get more "G1" reissue-type Transformers now, which could be a slippery slope.  I've just stuck to a few Classics/Universe ones otherwise.  I'll admit I'm really unfamiliar/confused with who has or hasn't been re-released, and what line(s) those come in between Universe, Masterpiece, etc.  I guess I'm not familiar enough with the TFormer lines.  Regarding the shipping, I ordered this and the smilin' Luke, and they were just tossed in a box as well.  Luckily, both shipped just fine (not that I'd keep them carded anyways), but there wasn't any packing to speak of otherwise.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: August 10, 2009, 02:55 PM »
My Soundwave and Luke figures came in the same box from HTS and they were in there with the packing slip and not a single piece of packing material.  That's the first time I've ever gotten something without any attempt being made at packing them correctly.

I've received boxes of a similar size with one or two things in it and had 2 small airbags in with them, which was worthless, but still, this is the first time to get absolutely nothing.

I really don't understand how they can think this is acceptable, though.  Have they USED the post office themselves?  The untrained monkeys at the USPS handling this stuff can't be trusted.

E...

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: August 15, 2009, 01:10 PM »
Picked up Ejector (or "Toastor" as I like to call him) at Wal-Mart earlier today.  Still no sign of the Ice Cream Twins, Jolt, or Long Haul in my area, although WM did put out a metric ****load of deluxe wave 5 (Arcee, red Sideswipe guy, depressed Scorponok).  Also picked up the Human Alliance Sideswipe, which is a backpack-former in every sense of the word, and he can't stand up either.   :-\

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: August 15, 2009, 05:54 PM »
Picked up Ejector (or "Toastor" as I like to call him) at Wal-Mart earlier today.  Still no sign of the Ice Cream Twins, Jolt, or Long Haul in my area, although WM did put out a metric ****load of deluxe wave 5 (Arcee, red Sideswipe guy, depressed Scorponok).  Also picked up the Human Alliance Sideswipe, which is a backpack-former in every sense of the word, and he can't stand up either.   :-\

I saw toaster last week, but couldn't bring myself to buy him.  Just looks like a mess in bot mode, but that toast mode is oh so tempting especially with that cord.  Still haven't seen the ice cream truck wave in my neck of the woods, but soon.

Did you guys see the Ratchet pic that surfaced last week?  What do you guys think of the HA stuff?  Cheesy?  Too much kibble DP?  I have a huge backlog of stuff to get through before I get to opening BB & SS.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: August 15, 2009, 06:20 PM »
What do you guys think of the HA stuff?  Cheesy?  Too much kibble DP?  I have a huge backlog of stuff to get through before I get to opening BB & SS.

Bumblebee is quite possibly one of my favorite Transformers ever, and is likely as good as we're ever going to get in toy form.  Poseability is top-notch, the action features (such as they are; the various seating positions for Sam; firing cannon arm; blast shield mask) are unobtrusive and well-designed.  It's literally a movie-verse Alternators version of BB.  The figure isn't going to win any awards, but for the scale, it's not bad and has decent articulation and paint apps.  I would highly recommend anyone and everyone who both loves TFs or just wants to have one (mostly) perfect Bumblebee toy to pick him up. 

Sideswipe, however, is almost the complete opposite.  The car mode is nice, and is certainly much cleaner than the deluxe version (mainly because the "blades" don't make up part of the doors in the HA version, leaving the "seams" along the body to a minimum in alt mode); the robot mode, however, is really disappointing for the backpack-former/kibble issue I mentioned earlier; not to mention the fact that the articulation is lacking and obstructed.  The arms kind of fold into themselves for storage, meaning that the visible portions of the arms are hollowed out in robot mode, and the hips/thighs are restricted due to the rubber pistons that connect them to one another; in the deluxe version this works well, but here, it is more of a hindrance than a boon.  The only part of the car mode that is integrated into the robot mode is the back fenders (which, like the deluxe version, make up the chest and shoulders), with the front hood, windshield, roof, back roof/windows, and doors folding up awkwardly on his back.  He literally looks like he's carrying a compressed Corvette on his back. 

The figure is a step down from Sam, too.  The paint apps are somewhat wonky, and the design of the Corvette (having a smaller interior than the BB Camaro) makes positioning Epps extremely difficult.  I still can't get him to sit in the driver's seat correctly after over a week of trying, so he's sitting in the passenger seat right now.  And, where Bumblebee had multiple options of where Sam could be positioned in robot mode (in the hand, on either seat, or standing behind BB's shoulder on the little stand), Epps can just sit (awkwardly) in one of the seats when SS is in robot mode.  Very disappointing.

I really hope that Skids/Mikaela/Arcee fare better in the interactibility area, as that seems to be the key selling point (in Hasbro's mind, anyway) for this line.  It's almost like they knew they had an amazing toy in Bumblebee and wanted to continue it, but decided to just throw something together, design-wise, at the last minute for Sideswipe.  If you want one Bumblebee toy, the HA version should be it; if you want one Sideswipe toy, the HA should NOT be it. 

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: August 15, 2009, 07:22 PM »
Good review, Doctor.  I've been debating the HA Bumblebee but have passed so far as I really like the Deluxe version for '07.  I didn't know they were making another set with Mikaela.  Maybe I'll get Bee and Sam and then the other set when it hits.

In other news, I saw he Leader class Jetfire today at Walmart.  It looks like it's a decent figure but I passed.  I would love to pick that up along with a Leader class Optimus but I don't really want to sink that much money into Transformers.

Haven't paid that much attention to the TF figures in the last couple of weeks but I have looked over the pegs as I roll by on my way to the Joe and SW figures.  I haven't seen any signs at my WM or Target that they have the ice cream truck or the others you guys are talking about.

I found the Jetfire figure at a WM I don't get too very often (supercenter).  It was on a 4-sided display at the end of an aisle with the other TF figures on it.

E...

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: August 21, 2009, 10:36 AM »
Stopped by TRU last night and they have Animated Supreme Optimus on sale for $24.99 and Animated Leaders for $19.99....Not too shabby

Offline BlueSnaggle

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: September 3, 2009, 08:55 AM »
Hey everyone - I had a question abou the Transformers Classic Line:

Do the figures look as cool out of the package and in person as they do on the cardback?

Reason I am asking is b/c ever since I saw a picture of the SDCC Soundwave I've been thinking about collecting the line.

Basically, I was a huge Star Wars collector up until a year ago until I became disenchanted with the line.

At this point I'm keeping my focus on Vintage Star Wars items & a few select Modern Era items.

This is where I am at a dilemma with the Transformers line.

I can't decide whether to start collecting the Vintage Transformer line or the Modern Era Classics line.

My brother keeps discouraging me from going after the vintage line due to the fact that some of the figures are flimsy to transform, look nothing like the actually character, & may be difficult to stand.

I was hoping that someone out there could offer up some positives & negatives about each of the lines that might help make up my mind.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: September 3, 2009, 07:00 PM »
I guess it all boils down to if you were a child of the 80's.  Doesn't sound like you were, but if so then vintage would be my route if I was just starting out.  There's lots of deals out there you can get on some of the more recent reissues like Omega Supreme and what not.  It's all about the memories for me even if most of them are blocks.  I went back and picked up just about everything up to the Powermasters line and that took me about 4-5 years.  I have most of the originals, but there's some reissues sprinkled in here and there.  Vintage is blocky and there are scale issues, but I can over look all of that.  

What about the other lines? Beast Wars/Machines, RID, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Animated, Binaltech, ALTS, Masterpiece, movie...etc.  tons of stuff out there.

Are you focused on G1 type figures?  I personally don't really care about a lot of the classics/universe stuff (even though they have uber articulation) other than the seekers and the Prime molds (that thing really grew on me).  There's some great third party trailers out there for them.  There's also redecos of past lines I've mentioned where they slap a G1 name on it and call it a day which is kinda lame IMO.

I'm sure someone else could give you better advice, but that's my 2cents.

Anywho.....Got around to opening my Soundwave last night and Ratbat's ears are just as loose if not more loose than the knock off version I have.  Whoever/whatever applied the stickers to the tapes and Soundwave himself needs to be not drinking on the job or reprogrammed.  Would like to reapply all of them, but I don't want to ruin them.  Oh well.

Also - folks are just now finding Bruticus out there and I picked him up over a month ago.  Not even seeing any Superions anymore so not sure what's up with that.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2009, 08:18 PM by iFett »

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: September 3, 2009, 11:28 PM »
I still haven't opened my Soundwave figure.  Maybe this weekend...

I've seen the Bruticus figure a few times, probably about a month ago for the first time.  He showed up on one of the endcaps at Target when the movie toys were first put out.  He sold through and then I just spotted him again this week when the stocked the new Bumblebee and Sideswipe vehicles with the figures (whatever that line is called).

I didn't know Bruticus was that hard to find.  I looked him over and thought about picking him up because he looked cool, but I passed due to the price.  Too much for someone that doesn't collect a lot of TF figures.  Hell, I passed on the 25th Optimus Prime figure when Target had them on clearance for $15 or whatever it made it down too (although I do feel a little guilty about that one).

E...