Author Topic: Transformers  (Read 358806 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers
« Reply #1680 on: February 21, 2014, 12:24 PM »
I accidentally came across a 3rd party Fans Toys figure called Quakewave (not Shockwave!).  He's Masterpiece sized, has interchangeable hands/weapon, lights up, and has ridiculous detailing.  Incredible.  I was hesitant to get him ...for about 6 seconds.  These Masterpiece figures are really incredible - I just wish they were a tad cheaper. 

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1681 on: February 21, 2014, 06:14 PM »
^Wow. Love that 3rd party stuff, but it's crazy expensive. BBTS sent me an email about a week ago, saying they had a piece called Mania King (Messiah) from a 3rd party, and it was basically a Voyager-sized Galvatron. It looked awesome, but was $120.

I was at TRU today, and they put out the Supreme Starscream. It was huge, but seemed a little lacking in something, especially for $110. There was also a tag on the shelf for the Year of the Horse MP Prime, which probably means I missed him again.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: February 21, 2014, 11:03 PM »
Mania King looks awesome, but I am limiting myself to just MPH and A lternators scale.  "Not Galvatron" is 7" scale I think.  There were some cool MPH customs of him on Ebay the last few weeks...one went for $500.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: February 26, 2014, 05:16 PM »
Okay Transformer experts - I recently picked up the Quakewave figure above and am wondering what other cool Masterpiece stuff I'm missing out on.  I'm trying to pick up Masterpiece items of prominent G1 characters.  I don't care so much about repaints or accessory add-ons, and I have a number of Alternators versions that I'm pretty happy with in this scale.  So far, I've locked down the following:

25th Anniversary Optimus
Thundercracker
Skywarp
Starscream
Quakewave (Shockwave)
Red Alert
Grimlock
Rodimus
Acid Storm
Soundwave & 5 Cassettes

Have in Alternator/Binaltech form:

Smokescreen
Side Swipe
Hound
Silverstreak
Tracks
Dead End - Dodge Viper
Meister (aka Autobot Jazz)
Swindle
Grimlock
Windcharger
Wheeljack
Swerve
Prowl
Skids
Sunstreaker
Mirage
Camshaft

I'm not looking for any more Alternators, but want to compile a short list of Masterpiece (US, Foreign, or 3rd Party) to watch out for.  I see a lot of custom seekers, but not really interested in those outside of Ramjet, Thrust, or Dirge.  Here's what I have on the want list so far:

Megatron
Ultra Magnus
Huffer (3rd Party?)

Any other cool Masterpiece figures out there?  Is there a good source to view/buy these?  I have seen the Insecticons, but I prefer the originals.  Same with Jetfire.  I would love to see Masterpiece editions of other Dinobots, Combiners, Blaster, Perceptor, Galvatron, Autobot Cassettes, etc.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: February 26, 2014, 06:37 PM »
3 of the other 3rd party MP style dinobots are out or are coming soon.  TT is releasing a Masterpiece Ultra Magnus at some point if you don't like City Commander and will likely hit TRU in the future if you have patience.  There is a 3rd party MP Huffer.  Hasbro is releasing a leader G1 Jetfire and a IDW Leader tank megs later this year.  Hegemon?  I think is a good third party megs if you don't like the HUGE MP version or TT repaint of the nerf gun voyager.  I have some of the 3rd party tape combiners and they're not too bad.  There is also a 3rd party Jetfire...

US TRU MP releases this year (so far)
Grimlock
Prowl (many more cars to come I'm sure)
Sunstorm

Wish I could say more but I'm far behind on 3party stuff...I'm no expert.  Go to tfw2005.  Say hello.  They know a lot.  I personally don't like ordering stuff from weird Asian ebay like sites or foreign sites in general.  I stick to BBTS or TFSource
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:41 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: February 27, 2014, 12:56 AM »
Thanks Mike.  I'll register tonight and get something posted.  Any recos on which threads to look at?  Is there one just for the Minneapolis crew?  The Dinobots sound cool so long as they fit with MP Grimlock's scale.  By the way, I saw a huge anniversary edition Prime with Trailer and a massive Starscream at the Maple Grove TRU tonight.  Multiple boxes of each on the shelves.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: February 27, 2014, 09:06 AM »
Just go under the sightings thread and look for MN.  They (we) have one of the largest groups just like (we) used to have here.  There's also some hidden threads when HTF stuff starts hitting.  Also two of the mods are locals and are very helpful.  Most of everyone there is good people and will hooks you up.

The 3 new 3rd party dinos are MP scale.

Year of the Horse Prime & Starscream..yes they just started hitting.  Shared exclusive with BBTS.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1687 on: March 1, 2014, 01:55 PM »
Full color pic of MP Wheeljack-

http://www.robokun.it/it/transformers/23078-vendita-online-transformers-masterpiece-mp-20-wheeljack-.html

Hopefully Hasbro gets to this guy sooner rather than later...
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: March 3, 2014, 10:02 AM »
I might have to grab that one.  Definitely an upgrade over the Alternators version.

Busy Masterpiece week for me.  I got my Quakewave 3rd party Shockwave late last week, then snagged MP-05 Megatron for $140 locally.  Now to restrain myself a bit from more 3rd party goodness...

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: March 3, 2014, 11:12 AM »
Be careful transforming him.  Lots of folks don't like him because he's very complex and not easy to work with.  I've had no problems with mine.  Did you get the upgrade kit for MP05 ?  Kind of essential imo.  Gives him diecast leggings and all the extra pieces to make the rifle.

..and ya the 3rd party stuff.  Difficult not to drop hundreds or thousands a week like some can handle.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: March 3, 2014, 12:32 PM »
Be careful transforming him.  Lots of folks don't like him because he's very complex and not easy to work with.  I've had no problems with mine.  Did you get the upgrade kit for MP05 ?  Kind of essential imo.  Gives him diecast leggings and all the extra pieces to make the rifle.

..and ya the 3rd party stuff.  Difficult not to drop hundreds or thousands a week like some can handle.

Funny - the guy I bought him from game me the same warning about Megs.  Luckily he was new in box, never transformed.  I plan to just keep him in Robot mode anyway, so passing on any upgrades for now.  The 3rd party stuff is pretty incredible though.  I was inches away from pulling the trigger on Warbotron (Not Bruticus), but read that CP charges your card immediately for preorders, so I held off.  Between him and Scoria I need to save up bigtime.  I'm not sure how much more I'll buy beyond the Dinobots though.  I have Megs, Shock, Soundwave, original Seekers, Optimus, Jetfire, Jazz, Prowl, Hound, etc.  Really the only MP that I'd like beyond the dinos are Galvatron, Ratbat, Perceptor, Blaster, and maybe some combiners if I can find the space for them.  a 15" Bruticus, Devastator, Predaking, or Superion would be tempting.  Do you have the Hercules combiners?  Are they all that?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: March 3, 2014, 01:02 PM »
I only have x2 tape combiners.  I got in on the early price for Not Motormaster at BBTS so will have to track down his limbs at some point.  Also thinking about Green Giant (the smaller Devy) 

I've not seen one in person but most folks at that other site will entertain guest apperances of their toys if you ask nice enough and attend a meeting.  Always good to see that kinda stuff in person before shelling out too much money.

I don't like $300-$600 toys personally but they do look absolutely amazing.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2014, 01:07 PM by iFett »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: March 3, 2014, 01:24 PM »
Ditto.  $300-500 feels like a lot to me as well, since I'm more of a casual collector than most.  I'm tempted by Herc or the new Warbotron, but that pricing without being able to see the finished product is a tough pill to swallow.  Any idea how fast this 3rd party stuff sells out?  Do you pretty much need to pre-order to get it or is there typically time to get them after the fact?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: March 3, 2014, 02:45 PM »
Some stuff can sell out quickly but other stuff will sit for awhile.  My rule of thumb with 3P stuff is if you like it enough (i usually wait for a review or 2) to lock in a preorder just in case b/c you'll only pay more for it later. 

Some of the more popular reviewers over there often get early samples to show off to the public.

Optibotimus, Peaugh, Vangelus.  Look these guys up on youtube.  People swear by them.  Very honest, detailed and hardcore fans.  Not afraid to tell you if something is terrible too.  I usually look up their reviews b4 making a final decision.  You can always cancel a preorder (depending on where you order from)

Offline dave in the basement

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: March 14, 2014, 01:49 PM »
Hello all,

I hope this isn't a threadjack, but if it is, please feel free to move or delete this post.

Anywho, is there a sister-site (or somewhere here), for buying Transformers from other members? I am looking for Generations Thundercracker, Dirge, and the slightly older Acid Storm.

I am watching a few items on eBay, but I'd rather deal with a more-known commodity, if you know what I mean. Thanks in advance for any enlightenment!

Dave