Author Topic: Transformers  (Read 363347 times)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers
« Reply #870 on: May 18, 2008, 09:13 AM »
One of my local Wal-Marts marked down their TF movie stuff yesterday:  deluxes and the "kid deluxes" are 7 bucks, Voyagers are at 15, Robot Heroes and Real Gear down to an even 5 bucks.  The good news is that they actually stocked the "Premium" wave with Bumblebee, so I grabbed him and Jazz.  Amazingly, BB isn't that much of an improvement (his outer vehicle shell is pretty much identical; he simply has gray parts instead of black and the "helmet" head), and Jazz actually is an improvement (the shiny paint works really well and, crappy arm design aside, makes him look about 10 times better than the original).  A friend also got me Barricade a week or so ago, and thankfully he has a really tight waist lock that makes him much easier to display.

I also saw two of the four new sets of movie Robot Heroes at Target.  They only had BB/SS and Ironhide/Dispensor, but all of them are pretty neat, the IH/Dispensor set, especially.  I really hope they do a (well-made) deluxe version of Dispensor eventually. :)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 18, 2008, 10:39 AM »
Again, I apologize for being somewhat of a novice at this.  :-\  Thanks for the info.

It's cool   :)   Hopefully I got that straightend out for you.

I really hope they do a (well-made) deluxe version of Dispensor eventually. :)

I agree.  I really like cool/lame concepts for some reason.  I also hope they get around to making a transformable stoplight like they had on the Cybertron toon.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 18, 2008, 10:47 AM »
I also hope they get around to making a transformable stoplight like they had on the Cybertron toon.

Well now that's just ridiculous.  You'd be proud of me Mikey - I missed the Friday meeting to help out at a Mothers of Multiples sale, and low and behold - they had a toy section.  Lots of transformers stuff, so I picked up a Megatron (armada?) Tank to add to the ranks for $2.  His tank mode is lamer than I thought, but surprised by the cool electronics.  ;D
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 18, 2008, 01:11 PM »
I read some reviews on the original Voyager Blackout figure and they took issue with the Automorph head.  I've now seen the Premium version and I like the looks of both Blackout and Scorponok better.  What I'm wondering is, does anyone know if they improved on anything over the initial release last year, such as the Automorph feature or other places?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 18, 2008, 01:16 PM »
I read some reviews on the original Voyager Blackout figure and they took issue with the Automorph head.  I've now seen the Premium version and I like the looks of both Blackout and Scorponok better.  What I'm wondering is, does anyone know if they improved on anything over the initial release last year, such as the Automorph feature or other places?

I can't speak for everyone, but I picked up the Premium Blackout and, deco/paint aside, nothing was improved on this version over the original release, meaning the head and chest "automorph" still doesn't work worth a damn, and as far as my own goes, might even be worse than the original.  That's not to say that the Premium Blackout doesn't look a whole lot nicer, but if you go beyond aesthetic changes, it is still the same toy with the same flaws.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: May 19, 2008, 12:13 PM »
I thought Blackout was a waste of time/money so there's no way I'm double dipping for a "premium" figure.  Same goes for Megs.  Just some lame figures IMO.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 21, 2008, 12:50 PM »
Looks like Takara/Tomy is releasing their version of Classics Thundercracker.  Supposed to be around $30 which is a bit steep, but it's a bargain compared to the Botcon seekers.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #877 on: May 21, 2008, 12:58 PM »
Looks like Takara/Tomy is releasing their version of Classics Thundercracker.  Supposed to be around $30 which is a bit steep, but it's a bargain compared to the Botcon seekers.

Yes.

Hopefully, they manage to get Thrust and Dirge made too. :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 21, 2008, 06:08 PM »
Now we couldn't Hasbro do something like this?

Seems that we always get shorted when it comes to detail. 

Mikey likes chrome.   :)

Offline J'Quille

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Whiphid bounty hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 23, 2008, 03:58 PM »
The deluxe figures have been $6.99 at Target for some time now.

Nothing new to report, I just noticed that my local Target has the deluxe figs marked back up to $9.99 again.  The $6.99 seemed to be a one week deal at my stores.  Glad that we picked up two of them when we did.  So maybe they were marked down "for some time" at areas around the US, but not in my neck of the woods.  Back up in price again.  Bummer.  :-[

Jeff

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: May 23, 2008, 06:59 PM »

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 23, 2008, 07:22 PM »
That's a pretty cool looking set.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline J'Quille

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Whiphid bounty hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 23, 2008, 11:21 PM »
That looks sweet!  Just like the Star Wars Evolution packs.  So are they going to do this for more characters?  I showed my son this pic and he definately wants the animated BB now.  He has the movie one and the black one that we just bought, but he doesn't recognize the vintage one, so we would probably wait until the single animated characters come out this fall.

Jeff

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 23, 2008, 11:25 PM »
BB 3 pack

Like the package - hate the idea of releasing even more bumblee figures though.  How many bumblebees have come out in the last two years?  10?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 27, 2008, 02:41 PM »
BB 3 pack

I actually like this set. I'm not getting the animated figures. And I'm no longer into "classic" versions either.

So for me the draw is the movie one with the "helmeted" Bumblebee. I was going to spring for a movie one and another stealth one to make this variant. However I'll be happy to get this set instead and get two new figures out of it and not have extra parts as I would have with getting the other two mentioned above. What's the cost of this set? If it's comparable to just getting the two movie bumblebees then I'll get this "evo" set instead.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010