Author Topic: Transformers  (Read 363830 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers
« Reply #1005 on: September 7, 2008, 05:52 PM »
Let's face it, outside of Masterpiece Editions the transformers figs have been a pile of turds on sticks ever since they dropped the Alternators figs.

Depends on your pov Justin.  Alts turned quite a few people away (moms/dads/lil kids) because they were so complex which left little Billy pissed off as well as myself - many times.  Sure there's pleny of stinkers in the other TF lines, but there's a few gems here and there that make this worthwhile.  This is why I'm glad I'm not a completist with this property.

They also had a bunch of movie Ultimate BBs, which I thought was weird since they have them now and at $35.

Good price - I bought one this morning   :)   I wonder why WM resurrected this toy at such and extreme discount.  I beleive he was $90 when he first came out.

I also saw a ton of the Bumblebee 3-pack

Easy pass   :)   Nice display piece though
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: September 7, 2008, 11:18 PM »
Let's face it, outside of Masterpiece Editions the transformers figs have been a pile of turds on sticks ever since they dropped the Alternators figs.

Depends on your pov Justin.  Alts turned quite a few people away (moms/dads/lil kids) because they were so complex which left little Billy pissed off as well as myself - many times. 

My POV is that Moms, Dads, Lil' kids, and Little Billy are buying turds on sticks if they're buying any TFs outside of the Alternators/Binaltech line.  ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: September 8, 2008, 09:55 AM »

Maybe, but those people aren't wanting to drop $100 on Masterpiece toys since they look nothing like what kids are seeing in movies and on TV. Overall what is out there is good; because it is exactly what the target market is looking for. All the stuff you can buy at retail locations like Wal-Mart and Target are not originally intended for the people here, that is what the Masterpiece set is for. Justin, if you don't like that stuff then don't buy it.

Depends on your pov Justin.  Alts turned quite a few people away (moms/dads/lil kids) because they were so complex which left little Billy pissed off as well as myself - many times. 

Mikey is right! Parents and kid's don't want a super complex toy to play with. They want a toy that takes less than 2 minutes to transform, not one that takes an hour. Because lets face it the directions for transforming the toys were designed by NASA Engineers and only PhD's can understand the instructions on the first read. No matter how cool or realistic it looks, a Transformer that is a level 4 to transform is a tough toy for a 6 year old to figure out how to transform and will lead to a toy that is either broken or not played with.

My POV is that Moms, Dads, Lil' kids, and Little Billy are buying turds on sticks if they're buying any TFs outside of the Alternators/Binaltech line.  ;)

Transformer toy's haven't changed a whole lot in nearly 30 years. Are you saying that all the figures since G1 are Turds on Sticks?
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline J'Quille

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Whiphid bounty hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: September 8, 2008, 09:25 PM »
So, no sign of the new animated TFs yet?  Wasn't September when the new wave is coming out according to Toy Fair?  Yeah, I know that it's only the 8th, but I was hoping that Swoop would be out before my son's 6th birthday party this weekend.  He is getting Grimlock to add with Snarl.  I know that what they say and what actually happens can change as well.  I was just hoping that they would be out before his birthday.  Anyone hear anything?  I might be lucky for Christmas.   :D

Jeff

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1009 on: September 9, 2008, 12:12 AM »
Animated wave 4 has just been sighted this past weekend, so you may get lucky yet, depending on where you live.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline J'Quille

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Whiphid bounty hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: September 9, 2008, 06:10 PM »
I live in MN like iFett.  If anyone in MN is on top of these things, it's him.  So I will just keep my eyes open and report to you guys if I see anything.

Jeff

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: September 9, 2008, 09:51 PM »
So, no sign of the new animated TFs yet?  Wasn't September when the new wave is coming out according to Toy Fair?  Yeah, I know that it's only the 8th, but I was hoping that Swoop would be out before my son's 6th birthday party this weekend.  He is getting Grimlock to add with Snarl.  I know that what they say and what actually happens can change as well.  I was just hoping that they would be out before his birthday.  Anyone hear anything?  I might be lucky for Christmas.   :D

I found mine last Thursday at a Target here in VA.  I grabbed one each of Swoop and Sentinel Plow King (who hears Mr. Plow is a boozer), but left Elite Guard BB behind.  So yeah, they've started showing up, even if it is out here in the middle of nowhere. :)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: September 10, 2008, 09:56 PM »
Maybe, but those people aren't wanting to drop $100 on Masterpiece toys since they look nothing like what kids are seeing in movies and on TV.

No one wants to spend $100 on MP toys Ryan.  That's why Alternators were such a good line at $20.

Overall what is out there is good; because it is exactly what the target market is looking for.

I'm not part of the target market?  I've dropped hundreds on Alternators, so I sure ought to be part of the target and I'm telling you the new stuff sucks from a collector's perspective.  I totally get the whole concept of making toys for kids and matching the movie dude, but I just don't like 'em. 

All the stuff you can buy at retail locations like Wal-Mart and Target are not originally intended for the people here, that is what the Masterpiece set is for. Justin, if you don't like that stuff then don't buy it.

Not sure how you figure this.  Several people in this thread are buying the retail stuff at WM and Target - how is this not originally intended for these folks?  ???  I seem to recall Alternators being sold at both Target and WM.  And Ryan - I obviously don't like the stuff outside of MP and Alts, which is why I don't buy any of it.   ;)

Mikey is right! Parents and kid's don't want a super complex toy to play with. They want a toy that takes less than 2 minutes to transform, not one that takes an hour. Because lets face it the directions for transforming the toys were designed by NASA Engineers and only PhD's can understand the instructions on the first read. No matter how cool or realistic it looks, a Transformer that is a level 4 to transform is a tough toy for a 6 year old to figure out how to transform and will lead to a toy that is either broken or not played with.

Now that's your POV Ryan.  I certainly wouldn't give an Alt to a 6 year old, but seems like a great fit for a teenager who might be into cars/sci-fi/models.  As a parent, I'd rather have a toy that takes a little time to interact with than something my kids can figure out in 2 minutes. 

I haven't bought any of them, but are the $20 Deluxe figures any easier to transform than the Alts were?   I thought it was a fun challenge and others obviously liked them too because they were hard as all heck to track down when new waves were released.  I certainly saw them sitting a lot less than some of the movie stuff out there.  And I don't have a PhD or an Engineering degree, but none of these ever took me more than half an hour to figure out. 

Transformer toy's haven't changed a whole lot in nearly 30 years. Are you saying that all the figures since G1 are Turds on Sticks?

Are you smoking turds on sticks?  I'm calling for the return of the Alt line, not the G1 figures.  And I can't believe you said Transformer toys haven't changed a lot in 30 years...

VERSUS

???
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: September 11, 2008, 09:30 AM »
Overall what is out there is good; because it is exactly what the target market is looking for.

I'm not part of the target market?  I've dropped hundreds on Alternators, so I sure ought to be part of the target and I'm telling you the new stuff sucks from a collector's perspective.  I totally get the whole concept of making toys for kids and matching the movie dude, but I just don't like 'em. 

You are part of the target market because they are after anyone who wants the toys, but you are looking at them as a collector not as a person who wants to play with them. 90% of the market is people who buy them to play with or to people who buy them to give to people to play with them.

Are you smoking turds on sticks?  I'm calling for the return of the Alt line, not the G1 figures.  And I can't believe you said Transformer toys haven't changed a lot in 30 years...

VERSUS

???

Little unfair comparison. The new Bumblebee is more in line with G1 Astrotrain type figures. You are comparing Apples to Oranges.

VERSUS

Is a little better of a comparison.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: September 11, 2008, 10:10 AM »
On another note...

Can anyone tell me if Roller will be compatable with the seperate Optimus Prime Tailer?

I have the Hasbro 20th Anniversary Prime, and want a trailer for it. I ideally would love to get the trailer that comes with MP-04 Prime, but I am not buying another Prime just for a trailer. So if Roller will fit with the non-transforming trailer I might actually get the trailer and roller.

Also has anyone picked up the Silencer set that goes with MP-05 Megatron. I have the Mags, and have been debating on picking the silencer up, but want to know how easy it is to remove the orange plug and if it is a decent addition to the Mags.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: September 11, 2008, 10:46 AM »
Can anyone tell me if Roller will be compatable with the seperate Optimus Prime Tailer?

I have the MP04 trailer and it has no mechanism for roller to attach to inside the trailer like the G1 trailer and I highly doubt the third party trailer would either especially since it doesn't open fully.  So it will fit in there just like an ALT, but it won't be secured.

Also has anyone picked up the Silencer set that goes with MP-05 Megatron. I have the Mags, and have been debating on picking the silencer up, but want to know how easy it is to remove the orange plug and if it is a decent addition to the Mags.

I've said it before and it's totally worth it.  He looks naked without it.  Massive looking compared to the G1 toy.  Bought mine in a combo deal at TFsource last year and it was at a great price and it was unmodded, but I've heard from others that the plug isn't glued at some sites where it's tampered with and it is at others.  The set also comes with die-cast leggings for him which enables the rear piece of the gun assembly to attach.  Adds a nice amount of weight to him in both modes.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: September 15, 2008, 02:24 AM »
Picked up Universe Onslaught this weekend. Man, this is a big 'bot. Easily the best purchase I've made from the new Universe line, but considering his competition was Sunstreaker, Prowl, and the ultimate stinker Galvatron, it wasn't that hard to claim that title.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: September 17, 2008, 02:45 AM »
Found the new wave of Animated tonight, sans Swoop. I almost considered buying Mr. Plow, but he can wait.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: September 18, 2008, 10:43 AM »
Finally got around to Silverbolt and he's suprisingly much less complex than Powerglide or Onslaught.  Really dug the old school transformation noise too.  Didn't expect that.  Also noticed that Powerglide has a heart under his chestplate.  Nice touch, but some more red paint sure would have been nice.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: September 19, 2008, 12:24 PM »
I know I've asked this before, but I'm not as up on the TFormer news as many of you.  Has there been any rumors/rumblings of re-releasing any of the previous Transformers Classics figures?  I really like that line, and have the Prime and Bumblebee, but part of me would like to pick up some other figures like Megatron and Starscream.  I've been watching them on ebay as well, and could go that route once I have the funds, but I was just wondering if there was any chance of these being repackaged or something in the future.