Author Topic: Transformers  (Read 360192 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers
« Reply #1695 on: March 14, 2014, 06:27 PM »
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/items-sale-trade/

I'd recommend the search tools or you'll likely waste lots of time.

There's a few others but this one is the Rebelscum of Transformers.  I've only dealt with the locals though..
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: April 18, 2014, 09:01 PM »
I have what is probably a stupid Transformers question, but thought I would come to the experts.  There just seems to be so many lines out there (past and present), and it is tough for me to keep it all straight.  I followed the 80s toon, had some Transformers as a kid - and a few more as an adult - but can't keep track of all the rest overall.  Anyways...my question...

One of the things I always wanted to do as a kid, and now, was to pick up the original dinobots.  I had Slag (the triceratops, my favorite), but had always hoped to get Grimlock, Sludge, Swoop, and Snarl as well.  Anyways, I was wondering what would be the best route for these?  I know that Grimlock has come out a few different ways, but are any of these coming out in some sort of vintage re-release or similar anytime soon (or maybe have in the past?).  Am I best off just trying to piece the actual vintage toys together?

I haven't picked up Transformers stuff for awhile now, aside from one of the re-released Primes and Sideswipe (another childhood favorite), and prior to that some of the Classics (or Classics styled) stuff.  I do have the Grimlock from that line, but was sort of starting to lean more towards the vintage (or re-released) stuff.  I can't afford to do a lot of Transformers, but always loved the dinobots as a kid and wanted to pick up the original four to five from the tv series.  Anyways, thanks again, any advice is appreciated.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: April 18, 2014, 11:22 PM »
A lot of the transformers stuff gets reproduced or knocked off by some 3rd party.  If you want the original styles, I would go with the reissues.  You can buy all five on Amazon for about $300 boxed. 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B009VLYCWG/ref=mw_dp_buy_opt?

You might be able to find a deal on another site or Ebay, but $300 is pretty good.  You could also go with WST Dinobots for about $100.  These are 4-5" versions of the original toys with similar look and transformations.  If you have patience and really want to upgrade, there are a few 3rd party companies making 12-15" Masterpiece editions that have incredible detail.  These are just starting to hit but search for FT Scoria to see pictures.  These will probably end up costing $800 to $900, but will take a good year to roll them.all out, so you have some time to get your finances in order. 

Hope that helps!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1698 on: April 25, 2014, 10:40 PM »
Oh man does this look cool...

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11771&mode=retail

MP-22 Ultra Magnus. I always loathed the G1 toy (brick!), but this looks like it will make up for those shortcomings.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: April 26, 2014, 10:19 AM »
I'm not sold on Magnus yet, but I'm liking him more and more.  This is the guy that everyone's talking about on the boards though...

Jetfire
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: April 26, 2014, 03:59 PM »
Wow. Not big on third party stuff, but damn that's neat. And I guess it's time I joined up at tfw2005.  ;D

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: April 27, 2014, 08:05 AM »
Wow. Not big on third party stuff, but damn that's neat. And I guess it's time I joined up at tfw2005.  ;D

Be careful over there.  Lots of good guys, but also plenty of fanatics.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: May 9, 2014, 11:21 PM »
Found some movie toys at K-Mart tonight, some big guys that looked like the soap bottle figures, and a Voyager Grimlock. Not my cup of tea, and hopefully they sell to the kids, because the colors were definitely skewed towards their demographic.

And oh my, was the packaging atrocious.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1703 on: June 4, 2014, 02:18 PM »
« Last Edit: June 4, 2014, 02:18 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: June 6, 2014, 12:52 PM »
Picked up Masterpiece Grimlock this morning. My local store had at least five on the shelf, so maybe Hasbro and TRU have figured out that actually having enough of these for everybody is a license to print money.

Other than that, I'm glad to have it. Not the first Grimlock in my collection, but the first that's properly sized.  :)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: June 6, 2014, 01:05 PM »
Picked up Masterpiece Grimlock this morning. My local store had at least five on the shelf, so maybe Hasbro and TRU have figured out that actually having enough of these for everybody is a license to print money.

Other than that, I'm glad to have it. Not the first Grimlock in my collection, but the first that's properly sized.  :)

Congrats!  Now you need to buy the 3P Scoria (Not-Slag) figure to get Grimlock's extender boots and make him the right size.   ;)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: June 6, 2014, 03:49 PM »
Na he needs the upscaled KO that's coming out.   ;)  I'm curious on that one actually.  I've gotten some rather fine ko's as of late...Not your cheap big lots/tuesday morning type ko stuff either...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: June 7, 2014, 02:28 PM »
That third-party stuff could be a slippery slope. I guess if I stayed limited to MP-sized stuff, it's possible, but I think I'd buy the Encore Fort Max before Not-Slag or Quake Wave.

Offline Sugart

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: June 7, 2014, 07:00 PM »
My TRU got a few in last week and all sold out before noon. I've got a bunch of scalpers in my area that buy just for the resale.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: June 19, 2014, 04:46 PM »
Although I doubt I'll be able to afford it (or even get it online), this thing is pretty cool:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/19/hasbro-unveils-sdcc-special-edition-transformer-dinobot-toys

SDCC Exclusive Dinobots set, with packaging that opens to look like the Autobot Ark/Mt. St. Hilary from the G1 series.  Pretty spiffy.  I'd almost rather the dinobots were actually in the G1 style, but I understand what they're going for.