Author Topic: Transformers  (Read 172447 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Transformers
« Reply #1725 on: September 9, 2017, 07:49 PM »
http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/08/power-primes-pics-hascon-2017-348452

The next phase of Generations is going to be called Power of the Primes, which I guess is neat, but they're finally doing updated versions of the Dinobots! And that Optimus/Orion Pax set is just nuts. Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in...
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: September 11, 2017, 07:42 PM »
There's been a LOT of knockoff G1 Transformers getting out in the market last 5-10 years. The Dinobots are arguably the most common ones to be found, next to the combiners. Be cautious of sellers on ebay selling MISB specimens- the bootleggers making these even went so far as to recreate the original Hasbro packaging. I bought one, Shockwave, and it's a really neat piece, but has a bit of that knockoff feel to it. Neat boxed collectible, though.

http://highendtfs.com/?q=node/17#Grimlock- A handy guide outlining the differences between genuine and knockoff. It's pretty overwhelming exhaustive.

Of course, the easiest way to tell is usually price- a single genuine loose Dinobot is over $100, and you can score a set of five knockoffs for $200.

Thank you so much for the info Ben, I thought maybe $40 for G1 dinobots was a little too good to be true. Also thanks for the heads up on the upcoming dinobots, maybe I'd be better off going that route. I sort of wanted to go through and get a small collection of my favorite G1 bots (even if they were reissues or whatever), but it would have to be at a slow pace as budget would allow. Thanks again.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: January 9, 2018, 07:28 PM »
Has anyone seen/bought any of the Power of the Primes stuff? Iíve started to see some pics and videos showing up online and it doesnít look too bad from what I can tell. I was really hoping to avoid anything outside of Star Wars and Marvel, but Iíve always sort of wanted to get a collection of the dinobots (particularly the original ones from the show).

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • http://darby-harn.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1728 on: January 9, 2018, 10:37 PM »
I saw the voyagers (are they still called that?) at Target today. Grimlock and Starscream. Grimlock was pretty cool.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: January 10, 2018, 05:47 PM »
There's been a LOT of knockoff G1 Transformers getting out in the market last 5-10 years. The Dinobots are arguably the most common ones to be found, next to the combiners. Be cautious of sellers on ebay selling MISB specimens- the bootleggers making these even went so far as to recreate the original Hasbro packaging. I bought one, Shockwave, and it's a really neat piece, but has a bit of that knockoff feel to it. Neat boxed collectible, though.

http://highendtfs.com/?q=node/17#Grimlock- A handy guide outlining the differences between genuine and knockoff. It's pretty overwhelming exhaustive.

Of course, the easiest way to tell is usually price- a single genuine loose Dinobot is over $100, and you can score a set of five knockoffs for $200.

Thank you so much for the info Ben, I thought maybe $40 for G1 dinobots was a little too good to be true. Also thanks for the heads up on the upcoming dinobots, maybe I'd be better off going that route. I sort of wanted to go through and get a small collection of my favorite G1 bots (even if they were reissues or whatever), but it would have to be at a slow pace as budget would allow. Thanks again.

Did you ever end up getting these, Brian?  If not, there are a few collectible toy stores in Vegas and other parts of the country that sell G1 figures for decent prices.  You could go Ebay too, but it's nice to be able to inspect them up close if you're concerned about knock offs.  I was a huge G1/vintage fan as well, but started collecting Masterpiece figures a few years back.  Think designs very similar to the cartoon/comic/vintage toys, but with much better sculpts and articulation.  The figures are bigger and more expensive, but totally worth it if you can afford them.  FansToys has a set of Dinobots that will probably run you $750, but they are 3-4x the vintage size and look incredible. 

"After Tuesday even the calendar goes W T F. "

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: February 8, 2018, 08:09 PM »
I didnít end up getting any dinobots yet, but I still look at the vintage ones. Iíd love to get those MP versions, but that line is out of my price range. I have picked up Skug (Slag) from the recent Power if the Prines line, and really like it, so I might try to get the rest of the original Dino crew there.

Speaking of that line, I saw the new Optimus Prime today at Target. I didnít necessarily want to get back into collecting other lines, but I was very tempted by that Prime. It looked to be very well done, it looked cool, and it was pretty good size. Has anyone picked it up yet?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: February 9, 2018, 10:45 AM »
The Power of the Primes stuff just started showing up at my Target in the last week or so. There are a few figures that look pretty good, including Optimus, but I haven't bought any Transformers stuff in a while. Well, scratch that, I did pick up a couple figures from the Transformer Club's going out of business sale. But nothing from retail.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"