Author Topic: Battle of Hoth Wave  (Read 60129 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Hoth Wave
« Reply #195 on: January 12, 2006, 04:18 PM »
One thing that came to mind while looking over the Hoth wave again is the state of Imperial troops at this point.  The AT-AT driver reminds me that we really have some amazing Imperial figures now, with the VOTC Stormtrooper, Evolutions Sandtrooper, and SAGA TIE Pilot.  The snowtrooper however reminds me how nice it would be to get a SA version of this one, comparable to the three I mentioned earlier.  That, in addition to the rumored VOTC Scout coming this year (hopefully) would really round out things nicely.  Not that this Snowtrooper is horrible, but I've been debating how much I'd like to army build with this version, or hold out for a better one down the road.  Otherwise, we're getting a pretty nice lineup overall, something I hope continues.

Offline Clone On Fire

• Youngling
  • Blaze of Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 12, 2006, 05:15 PM »
One thing that came to mind while looking over the Hoth wave again is the state of Imperial troops at this point.  The AT-AT driver reminds me that we really have some amazing Imperial figures now, with the VOTC Stormtrooper, Evolutions Sandtrooper, and SAGA TIE Pilot.  The snowtrooper however reminds me how nice it would be to get a SA version of this one, comparable to the three I mentioned earlier.  That, in addition to the rumored VOTC Scout coming this year (hopefully) would really round out things nicely.  Not that this Snowtrooper is horrible, but I've been debating how much I'd like to army build with this version, or hold out for a better one down the road.  Otherwise, we're getting a pretty nice lineup overall, something I hope continues.

Speaking of a nice SA trooper, how nice would it have been to get a Hoth Rebel Soldier instead of Vader or Riekken in this wave?
They cannot conquer forever!

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 12, 2006, 06:59 PM »

Speaking of a nice SA trooper, how nice would it have been to get a Hoth Rebel Soldier instead of Vader or Riekken in this wave?

We did.

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 12, 2006, 08:27 PM »
Clarification: How about a grunt Rebel Hoth Solider that is SA? I know I passed on the Saga Buzz Lightyear model.  I also passed on this Snowtrooper; nothing that I don't have with the Saga Snowtrooper.

I picked up the members of the wave I wanted this am. I have to say, that overall, I am very pleased with the entire wave (though I did not buy all of them). Nicely done, good paint jobs. My only beef, probably the same as most,  not enough articulation on the figures.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #199 on: January 12, 2006, 09:09 PM »
While I have yet to see these, I did pick up the first wave last week.  Am I the only one who is hugely relieved to actually see these things so soon in the new year?  I was worried we'd have another post-movie year drought like in 2003.  That was the crappiest six months of my entire collecting carreer.

I'm glad that Hasbro and retailers are getting this new stuff out so fast. They know that they've got a good fan base and they're not going to let it go.  It's a great way to start the year.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 12, 2006, 11:11 PM »
I have to say on the Darth Vader (the 500th edition without the chamber), I really dislike how easy the helmet falls off and how he cannot really hold his lightsaber that well. Nice figure, but Evolutions is SO much better followed by the VOTC. I may have to play at modifying the figure so he can hold his saber tighter.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #201 on: January 12, 2006, 11:23 PM »
I'm glad these got out so quick.  The Carkoon wave was a lame duck in comparison; Hasbro really should have led off with this one. 

If only every wave could be like this.  Even if you're not buying them all, there's very little not to like.  The articulation isn't what it should be, which I think is mostly to do with these being in a drawer since 2004, and some repacks may be frustrating (I'm happy with Riekeen, but would have been stoked for a Snowspeeder pilot of any kind, or even a slightly rejiggered Hoth Luke or Han), but overall it's great.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #202 on: January 13, 2006, 12:27 AM »

We did.

We did?

A figure with 10 points of articulation and no ball/socket joints, is not a good army builder to me. :)  Derlin's ok, but he's in dire need of ball/socket knees at the very least.  Beyond that he's ok...  He's not a good army builder by my standards, he's an ok figure overall, but I think we need something better though especially for the true "Trooper".  Sure it'd be the what, 4th sculpt of a Hoth Rebel Soldier we get?  But it's probably one of my top 5 resculpts we need in the line.  Actually, all 3 styles of Rebel Soldier in the films would be in my top 5 resculpts easily.  I want a Rebel Evolutions set personally, but yeah I wanna see all 3 redone with SA or damn close.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Kill_Solo

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2006, 01:08 AM »
Damn man, this AT-AT driver is pretty freaking awesome! It takes me back to the old school because it was one of my first Star Wars figures. I think this figure is really well done. Great sculpt, awesome articulation just rad (sorry, flashback to the 80's).

Everyone needs to buy it, open it, and love it.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 13, 2006, 10:06 AM »
For those of you who have picked up Veers, how's the lack of a back armour plate? Is it awkward? It seems to me like the only real sticking point about this figure.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 13, 2006, 11:22 AM »
picked up 2x veers and 1 derlin last night.  Anton the armor sticks on fine no problems of it falling off, un like the carbonite block that can't stay up a damn.  it looks a little weird without it, but i don't think it takes away from the figure in the least.  my only complaint i suppose is the holster and blaster.  blaster way too small, but i suppose they gave him that one to fit the small holster and it bends the blaster while in it.  and maybe it's just mine but when i put the helmet over the hat, the helmet kind of flairs out on the sides.  i think it'd been better with a chin strap.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2006, 11:23 AM »
that doesn't bother me- I think it's good that Hasbro left that off-it's easier to quickly remove/replace this way. I think ..had there been a back piece included, that removal/replacement would have been more difficult or the mechanism to do it would break easily. I would like to believe Hasbro consider all these criteria when they produced it. (IMO of course ;))

I do say that he is the best Veers..and, thanks Hasbro for giving us the removeable plate, helmet instead of producing 2 different version figs to burn us. ;D

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 13, 2006, 12:41 PM »
I'm really liking this Derlin for some reason.  I actually bought the old POTF Hoth soldier, last year I think. I wanted to fill out my Hoth section and figured he was good enough just to stick there with the other guys. Well, he just got retired. He really stood out horribly with his bigger scale and wildly preposed legs. It's nice to have Cliffy there ready to declare everyone needs to get to there stations. ;D

Why the **** does Veers look like Tarantino...? ??? Not a bad figure otherwise. I'm not happy their ever hungrier trays try to devour the figures and their accessories though. It doesn't do any good for the soft plastic they're using now; my Veers helmet is all warped.

The AT-AT driver looks awesome standing next to Veers. Great articulation.

The Gonk set is cool. I don't even remember the one with the Hoth top piece in the movie. Not thrilled to see the action legs return. They should've given it a couple ports for plugging in an included power cord to supply robots and equipment with power.

Got suckered in to buying Artoo just for the accessories. They look like the stuff Luke has on Dagobah. Wouldn't have minded at all if they'd repainted the ROTS body with the awesome crank-out third leg. Instead I get another goddamn EB Artoo with slop deco?

Anyone notice the cheapo plastic making a return in TSC? Not just the gummy crap that's been around for years now but also that chintzy stuff we all complained about the AT-TE Gunner being made of. I'm seeing it all over Veers and the AT-AT driver.

How's Vader? Anyone who's opened him: What exactly is he cannibalized from? I almost bought him because he looks really nice, but I want to know more about his joints and how he compares to VOTC, 500th and Evo. Does any of the helmet come off?

I'm seeing it all over Veers and the AT-AT driver.

Derlin's hands too. Speaking of which, it's too bad he doesn't have that comlink sculpted into his glove. Somehow, one of the first things I thought of to do with his pointed finger was to have him keying his comlink. ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 01:16 PM by Ook »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #208 on: January 13, 2006, 10:52 PM »
Well, I lucked into about half the Hoth wave and opened a few up tonight:

Snowtrooper - not the SA version we were all hoping for, but at least it's "kinda" new hwat with it being a kitbash and all.  Looks pretty good for what it is - a nice neutral pose trooper.

Derlin - Great Rebel Trooper figure.  The legs on mine are a little wonky, so the stick out kinda funny and doesn't look good on his stand (one foot is off the ground when he's on his stand).  Other than that, he's OK for what he is.  Decent articulation in the arms, woulda like more in the legs though.

Vader - being as he is the same as the 500th Vader, I didn't open him.  I did manage to find one of each variation (standing and Saber Drawn), so that was a bonus.

AT-AT Driver - Wow.  Just, wow.  He is such a fan-freakin-tastic figure.  Great articulation, great straps, great figure.  I love the way his helmet has the tubes attached to the box, yet still have free movement - amazing.  This guy is most definitely the jewel of the wave in my opinion.   :)

Now I just have to find R2-D2, Veers, Gonk, Reeikan...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 14, 2006, 02:15 AM »
The Vader seems to be a 100% rehash of the 500th Vader.

Glad you like these new figures Jeff, I agree with you on your assessments.

Best figure of the wave though, and potentially of the basic 2006 figure line, might be the AT-AT driver.

:P