Author Topic: Battle of Hoth Wave  (Read 59849 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Hoth Wave
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2005, 11:37 PM »
Super Articulation or bust.......

I should not have gotten my hopes up when I saw we were getting a wave from Hoth....

If I wanted statues that had limited poseability I'd buy Gentle Giant Mini Busts...

Now that the rant is over.....

Veers looks good, except for the cross-cut elbows and no leg articulation.

Rebel Commander has an awesome look to his uniform...too bad he can't be posed in more than the "hands behind the back" or the Groomsman "crotch clutch"

AT AT Driver....I'm all for a small army of these guys.  They seem to be the only figures in this wave with more than 4 points of articulation.

GONK...rocks.  I guess for that particular figure he is SA...

Vader...I have an evolutions Vader..so pass

R2-D2...I have every other R2 so pass

Reikien...I like him but I have him

Snowtrooper officer....how many snowtrooper officer's do we need?  No SA Snowtrooper...NO PEACE!!!! everybody chant together...

Veers looks like the armor and helmet are removable...hopefully that means he comes with the Imp Officer Cap (kepi)....

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2005, 12:50 AM »
I forgot about Gonk.  He's a good, odd choice.  Does the Snowtrooper look like he has different (old) legs to anyone else?  They seem straighter than I remember.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2005, 02:40 AM »
Trick of the camera I think, plus I believe I see the gap for the ankle joint but my screen and eyes aren't the best. :)

On a Gonk note, if he has the swinging legs, save those clear rubber bands that they use for holding weapons to figure's hands, as they make a great way to hold a Gonk's legs together.  I've yet to have one of those bands break on me too BTW.

I reiterate about articulation that I TRULY hope Hasbro isn't on the decline in this department.  If they are, to me they're looking at the line as a failing property at this stage and aren't wanting to invest too much in it...  Jason and I were just talking about this and it's a sad possible thought.

I'm hoping for some kind of SA figures down the line's life.  I have too many unfulfilled wants (mostly resculpts ironically) with the line for it to truly be on its last leg.  It'd go out with me not being too pleased with how they handled things.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2005, 04:52 AM »
It's true, most of my big wants are SA resculpts.  There's some obscure stuff I want (Dorme), but it's not as much as it is for some others I think.

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2005, 05:26 AM »
I don't think the lack of articulation will kill this wave or this line. IF the sculpts are really good, I think you can still have a successful wave in terms of volume and sales. I look to the POTJ line as an example. Great sculps, good variety, not a ton of articulation, yet the POTJ line I believe was one of the more successful lines of the modern era, and a personal favorite. I do agree  that it signals that Hasbro is going to push to milk as much money out of the line with as little RnD as possible. This means we may have very good figures, but also figures that could have been so much more (like the Tactical Ops Trooper). Again, if the sculpts are very good though, that may compenstate for the lack of articulation. In addition, if the lack of articulation means a higher quality figure that doesn't break as has been discussed in another thread here, that may not be a bad deal either. I just wish that Hasbro would gets its act together and put out more figures like the Obi Wan Pilot that are both GREAT sculps with GREAT articulation that don't break! 
For this line, I'll buy the Gonk, the Veers, the AT AT Driver (at least 2), Rebel Commander, Reikien, and the Snowtrooper officer. That alone shows that wave will probably be successful because I'm skipping most of the first wave except for Leia and Bib, and consider myself to casual collector once again coming off the movie, buying only themes and figures I really like or want. This wave fits into a theme so I'll get more of it.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2005, 12:47 PM »
I know I'm in the minority but articulation isn't my biggest concern. I'm an opener, but I don't play with them that much. Most of the time they just stand there looking groovy. Now with all else being equal, obviously more artic is better, but my higher-priority issues are:

--Variety of characters and minor characters
--Sculpt, likeness
--Paint, detailing
--Pose (happy medium between Vinty-style military attention and xtreme action pose)
--Etc.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Disco_Jedi

• Youngling
  • How can you shoot these?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2005, 02:57 PM »
The Snowtrooper is not really a "repacked"  figure.  There are slight differences in the legs of the POTF2 and OTC versions.

Looks like it might be a kitbashed verison of both figures.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 04:00 PM by Jeff »

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2005, 03:02 PM »
I was planning on passing on this wave entierly since I'm mostly an alien collector, but actually seeing the pictures and selection has changed my mind completely. The most pleasant surprise has to be that Gonk Power Droid. I love the look of that thing. This is a great way to rerelease an exsisting figure and make it interesting and new. Derlin is looking good, the detail is great. I'm looking forward to seeing Veers armorless, and wether or not he has his regular hat. He's definatly looking good though. The AT-At driver is also quite cool looking and I'll definatly be picking one up.

I do have some concerns about the repacks though. I understand Hasbros reasoning for them but they really seem to be too plentiful to me. And the choices for some of these repacks just seems foolish, mostly in regards to Reikaan. Main characters i can understand but rereleasing less important and obscure characters just seems foolish, especially ones that warmed the pegs previously, and at least then you got the display screen with him.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2005, 04:04 PM »
The Snowtrooper is not really a "repacked"  figure.  There are slight differences in the legs of the POTF2 and OTC versions.

Looks like it might be a kitbashed verison of both figures.

Yeah, I'm not sure what is going on there...

When you look at the arms real close compared to the PotF2 version there are a few notables things that make it look like the PotF2 Arms and Legs on the Saga Torso version.   ???
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2005, 04:07 PM »
When you look at the arms real close compared to the PotF2 version there are a few notables things that make it look like the PotF2 Arms and Legs on the Saga Torso version.

Good call Jeff, that is what it looks like.  You can notice especially when looking at the gloves/boots in comparison the pictures posted above.  Those are definitely not the same as the Saga version, and look to be the POTF2 version.  I guess it is different at least that way, but I still want a SA Snowtrooper ;).

Offline Disco_Jedi

• Youngling
  • How can you shoot these?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2005, 04:41 PM »
Looking at the pix again, the arms are definately NOT the Saga ones.  The shoulder armor on the Saga Trooper has the little bumps closer to the shoulder/neck area whereas the POTF2 and the 2006 Saga have the little bumps more towards the upper arm area.  So it looks like Saga torso with POTF2 arms and legs.  Whick so far, looks the best of the 3.

Either way, it's kitbashed!!!!  Where's the freakin SA!!!   ;D

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2005, 06:02 PM »
I knew there was something up with that Snowtrooper.  Still, it's not SA, so bah humbug.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2005, 07:22 PM »
I am very happy about them finally getting around to making Cliff.  It looks like one helluva sculpt to!  Another obscure figure can be scratched off the list finally. 

Veers - It will be great if he comes with a hat to.  Definately nice to see him get a much needed update.

Gonk Droid - I never would have thought that one up.  It looks pretty cool with that thing on his head.  I will get that. 

AT-AT Driver - Not a must for me but I guess you can't have Veers out there without an AT-AT Driver by his side.  It looks ok to me I may or may not get him. 

Riekaan - The only reason I would be interested is for a carded figure of him. 

Snowtrooper - Very disappointed but not surprised by the lack of articulation.  For some reason Hasbro does not want to give this figure the SA treatment.  They love releasing him but that's it. 

R2-D2 - Might be cool if he has a sensorscope in the dome.  Otherwise I can't see myself buying another R2-D2. 

Vader - I got enough Vaders now, but I was not surprised to see it offered.  My nephew is getting into Star Wars now so hopefully he can nab that one or the current ROTS offering. 

Overally I think it's a decent wave. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2005, 01:05 AM »
Yeah that Snowtrooper's definitely an oddball...  If the legs are a little to the "neutral" side (if they're POTF2 they should be) he'll be a slightly better army builder than the Saga's total sculpt, but not much...  Short of SA that figure's going to blow irregardless.

Riekean's still the "wtf" of the wave.  He's not the greatest figure anyway (lacking even a waist joint), and never was a HOT seller.  If he has the board he's sorta cooler at the $5 pricepoint, but that's gotta sting to a lot of people too...  Tough pill to swallow.

Veers just rocks, and I am so hoping for him to have his officer's cap.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2005, 11:16 AM »
Vader- I would like this replaced with another figure but still another Vader-a Holographic one. I wonder at just how many holo bashers would bash it considering this is one holo I felt Hasbro should have done long ago. Not to mention this was THE appropriate wave to introduce it in( AND!!! Most important of all a Hasbro money saver)- oh well :(

Watch out for that power droid-one per case-yikes!!

Redundancy- Hasbro- where's our retooled/SA army builders?!

I guess it was a money saver for Hasbro- 8 figs- 4 new, 1 kitbash(cheap), 3 rehash(cheap)= this is what we can expect across the rest of the line. At least we get SOME new cool figs along the way :)