Author Topic: Ye Olde Nintendo  (Read 125654 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Ye Olde Nintendo
« on: September 19, 2003, 03:35 PM »
I know I did a thread on this over at CSW but there is always time to talk about one my all time greatest passions, the Nintendo Entertainment System

I will remember the day in 1985 we got the whole kit and kaboodle forever.  Me, my brother and sister were begging for weeks to get one and my parents finally caved.  We each got to pick out a game to go along with the pack we got which included Duck Hunt and Gyromite with R.O.B. the lil' Robot.  So I got Baseball, my brother got 10 Yard Fight and my sister picked Mario Bros. (non-Super ;))  We must have played for hours on end.  I remember my dad missed a meeting he was so enthralled with playing Duck Hunt.  It was great because we were also the house in the neighborhood since we were the first family to get a system.  Atari was the thing of the past!

The collection really grew from there and was probably a large factor in me getting out of toy collecting.  All $$$ went to buying new games... Super Mario Bros, Kung Fu, Pro Wrestling and then some of the greatest games ever!  Mike Tyson's Punch Out, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, RC Pro Am, Castlevania...

I think we topped off around 30 games, and I still break the old girl out from time to time.  I bought a ton of old games and a new pin connector last winter and she still works like a charm.  

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Olde Nintendo
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 03:41 PM »
Great topic, the original NES was a great system.  I actually have my old one hooked up in our spare bedroom as well.  A lot of great memories with that system.  It might have been the fact that we were kids, but even with all of the graphical advances, etc. of the new systems, I almost think my friends and I had the most "fun" with the old NES.  Hours upon hours of Tecmo Bowl, I can tell you that for sure.  I still have fun playing that game.  Don't get me wrong, the new games are pretty spiffy too, and we never had anything like Rogue Leader on that old system either ;).  Anyways, the NES was and still is a great system to just have fun with I think.  A lot of great games like the ones you mentioned....I also remember Castlevania, Mega Man, Kid Icarus, Mario, and of course Star Wars.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 03:44 PM »
I'd have to say my favorite game for that system was either Ghosts 'N Goblins or Rygar.  Awesome video game console!  And did that bring back a ton of memories to me.  :)
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 03:46 PM »
Tecmo Bowl and then Super Tecmo Bowl were both totally awesome games.

I hated Ghost and Goblins Chris!   I think that is the absolute hardest game I have ever played.  I could get to about the third board and then nothing

And...Contra, oh man how many games of Contra did I play?

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 03:49 PM »
Tecmo Bowl and then Super Tecmo Bowl were both totally awesome games.

Those were also my favorites!  So were Double Dribble and that Baseball game.
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 03:53 PM »
I put together this list last spring at RS and I think it is about how I feel still my top 10

1. Mike Tyson's Punch Out
2. The Legend of Zelda
3. Super Mario Bros. 3
4. Tecmo Super Bowl
5. Metroid
6. Mega Man (all of them :))
7. Kid Icarus
8. Castlevania
9. Baseball Stars
10. Contra

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2003, 06:03 PM »
Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start

I will never forget that
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2003, 07:00 PM »
Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start

I will never forget that

wasn't it Select then Start? its been so long, I might be wrong.

I got my NES during the tail run of its lifespan, I got it when Super Mario 3 had just came out. Got my NES w/ SMB3 and Metal Gear. Metal Gear was one of the hardest games ever, I never could figure out what I was to do, it so stunk! :P Some classics have already been mentioned like Mega Man, Contra, Tecmo Bowl,  but here's a couple more to add Metroid, RBI Baseball, Excitebike, and Double Dragon. Ahh good times, good times. Alas my NES got sold along with my Genesis, SNES, and Gameboy when I went to college. But thanks to the wonderful world of emulators, life goes on :)
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2003, 07:19 PM »
Great topic.  Yep, I still have one.  Some of my favorite games include Burgertime, Elevator Action, Q*Bert, Popeye, and Gradius.  I like Punch Out, but I can never get past King Hippo.   :-[  Any hints?  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2003, 11:02 PM »
I have two, actually. One doesn't work anymore, and the other I picked up at a pawn shop for $15, MIB. I about **** when I found it.

I have it hooked up right now while my X-Box isn't. Go figure.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2003, 11:16 PM »
I like Punch Out, but I can never get past King Hippo.   :-[  Any hints?

When he raises both arms, you hit him in the face and his boxing shorts fall down. Then you just keep throwing body blows at his bandaged area. If you knock him down once, he's finished. :)

I absolutely loved Punch-Out! and Contra, among countless others. :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2003, 11:17 PM by BobaShek »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2003, 01:07 AM »
I used to have one. Some great games with that system.

I had Alien 3, Castlevania, Contra, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Thunderbirds & a bunch more but I can't remember. I sold the NES to get the SNES system which I still have.

Zelda was my favorite.   8)

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2003, 01:24 AM »
I indeed have an old Nintendo system. It is actually hooked up to my TV at the lake, where I play Mario, Ghosts and Goblins, and Mario 3.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2003, 01:26 AM »
I never owned an NES, but I did play some of the rereleased games on the Super Nintendo. :) I know that my aunt has an NES lying around somewhere. Maybe I'll have to look for it the next time I go to her house...

BTW, does anybody else know that Nintendo is rereleasing Mario Brothers 3 for Game Boy Advance this fall? It will be called "Super Mario Brothers 3: Super Mario Advance 4". 8)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2003, 09:52 AM »
...Ghosts and Goblins...

Oh, I loved that game! Granted, I could never make it farther than the second or third level. :P