Author Topic: Ye Olde Nintendo  (Read 125657 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Olde Nintendo
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2004, 01:18 PM »
Scott, I know those titles have already been released in Japan.  Not sure if they are headed our way.  Either way, I can live without them.  Definitely not the best choices.  I would not mind seeing Contra released either.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2004, 01:40 PM »
I guess there would be hope for Contra and Castlevania...Twin Bee was known as Stinger on the NES and is one heck of a game...also made by Konami.  So maybe they'll keep it going for series 3 and so on.  Their choices seem a little weird because I don't remember a lot of those games being that popular even back then

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2004, 06:06 PM »
Their choices seem a little weird because I don't remember a lot of those games being that popular even back then

Exactly.  Especially Dig Dug ???  You can pick that one up on one of the Greatest Hit packs.  I also find it strange that with all the different Greatest Hit packs, that Nintendo has not had one of there own ???  Put DK, DKjr, DK3, Punchout, etc on a Nintendo Collection.  The Classic series they are releasing now just arent  emulated close enough to the arcade version IMO.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 06:11 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2004, 11:55 PM »
What I really want to see though is GameCube compilations of old school Nintendo/Super Nintendo games...exactly like the Mega Man disc that is coming out.

Nintendo sucks.  I don't think we'll ever see a big-ass compilation disc of Nintendo-brand games.  They're gonna milk these old games for all they're worth--e-reader, "Classic NES", and whatever comes next.  No need to release a compilation disc when people are more than willing to shell out for Mario or Zelda for the second, third, or fourth time.

I also am sad that the 2D side scroller went the way of the dodo :'(

On the contrary--2-D side-scrollers are still alive and well and living on the Game Boy Advance.  All of the old school Mario games have been re-released and have done phenomenally well on the GBA (although the f--kers still haven't produced a true, "new" Mario game yet).  The two Metroids have been great (much in the same vein of Super Metroid), and three different, top-down Zelda games have been released on the Game Boy over the years (Link's Awakening, and the Ocarina games).  Plus, a new, top-down Zelda game ("The Minish Cap") is set to be released for the GBA this year.  And there have been a few all-new, side-scrolling Castlevania games released too, all of which are supposed to be pretty good.

But yeah, side-scrolling games are all but dead on the traditional home consoles.  I think a Contra game was released for the PS2 a couple of years ago which was supposed to be a pseudo-side-scroller, and Viewtiful Joe was released last year for the 'Cube, which if I'm not mistaken is a side-scroller, too.

If you want to play the old-school side-scrollers on your GameCube, you could always go out and get a Game Boy Player, which'll let you play all of those GBA games through your 'Cube. . .  :)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2004, 12:26 PM »
Check this out:

I'm ordering one of these for Pearson.

What's your waist size, Scott?

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2004, 12:49 PM »
36 :-*

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2004, 01:44 PM »
I was just thinking of that Super Cool Belt Virex is buying me...I can't wait to wear that and when the mood is right in Casa de OCB and Mrs OCB goes to remove my Super Cool Belt...I can exclaim

"Now your Playing with POWER"

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2004, 01:46 PM »
Sometimes I think all of us have waaaayyy too much time on our hands ;D

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2004, 01:49 PM »
Too much bloody time!   ;D   It's you Scott!   :P  

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2004, 11:23 PM »
I was just thinking of that Super Cool Belt Virex is buying me...I can't wait to wear that and when the mood is right in Casa de OCB and Mrs OCB goes to remove my Super Cool Belt...I can exclaim

"Now your Playing with POWER"

Getting you one of these to go along with your NES Belt:

"I love the Power Glove.  It's soooo bad."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2004, 11:36 PM »
My wife prefers the Power Glove and sadly, mine broke 11 months ago...hmm

Durge

« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2004, 12:50 AM »
I'm getting the "classic NES" Gameboy SP. Anyone here own it?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2004, 12:51 AM »
Check out page 5

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2004, 12:52 AM »
I'm getting the "classic NES" Gameboy SP. Anyone here own it?

F--king Christ.

You make me wish for the days of Master Chief.

Durge

« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2004, 12:52 AM »
Thanks OC.