Author Topic: Ye Olde Nintendo  (Read 125635 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Ye Olde Nintendo
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2006, 11:15 AM »
My friend Virex was telling me that you can beat Mike Tyson on Mike Tyson's Punch Out by giving him a Donkey Punch.  Anyone else heard of that before?

Uh... no.

And, looking back at this thread, this HAS to be where they got the costume design for Ep3 Anakin!

Look at it!  The hair!  The glove!  It all fits!

Anyway, lately I've been addicted to "Animal Crossing" for the NGC.  I hadn't played it for a year when the family came over on Christmas Eve and I dropped it in because my brother wanted to check it out.  Now I find myself turning the day thing on nearly every day to check out the wacky animals in my town...  :-[
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2006, 12:29 PM »
The Wizard! Now that is one movie that NEEDS to be put on DVD...

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
Now you're playing with power...
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2006, 05:28 PM »
I saw this on Joystiq today.  It's especially hilarious because I remember wanting tons of stuff from this catalog back when it came out.  Enjoy.

http://www.progressiveboink.com/archive/nintendocat/1.htm
Got Clones?

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Now you're playing with power...
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2006, 05:39 PM »
I still have these guys from back then.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2006, 05:46 PM »
I guess this just wasn't "on topic" enough for the "Ye Olde Nintendo" thread. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2006, 05:56 PM »
Looks like it is now...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2006, 05:56 PM »
I guess this just wasn't "on topic" enough for the "Ye Olde Nintendo" thread. . .

What are you talking about?  ???

(bad link, by the way...)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2006, 06:02 PM »
What are you talking about?  ???

(bad link, by the way...)

Oopsie.

Should I bother going back and fixing the link to a thread in a thread that's already been merged with the original thread I tried to link to?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2006, 06:13 PM »
Should I bother going back and fixing the link to a thread in a thread that's already been merged with the original thread I tried to link to?

Sure, if you'd like.

But FWIW, your link was originally fine.  The URL of the original thread changed when I merged the two threads.

I just wanted to make you briefly wonder how the hell you goofed up the link in the first place...  ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 06:16 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #144 on: April 5, 2006, 04:31 AM »
Depending on your worldview, this is either gonna be the coolest thing to ever happen in the world of video games, or the dawn of the Apocalypse:

In Production: Bob Ross Video Game

(I'm going with the former.)

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 10, 2006, 05:52 PM »
Ah, I grew up around an old NES, and I loved it before I understood how to actually play it. My older sister bought one with a copy of Super Mario Bros, and she and my brother would play it a lot. I always liked watching Luigi for some reason.

Later on we got Super Mario Bros 3, Dragon Warrior (the original Japanese name is Dragon Quest- a new one came out here not long ago, Dragon Quest VIII), Dragon Warrior II, Dr. Mario, Legacy of the Wizard, and a few other games I remember less about. I know SMB3 was bought as a christmas present, but I think many of the others came from my RPG-loving cousin. My mother and other sister would play them a lot, and somehow they totally amazed me even though half of the game was text I couldn't read well. :)

In more recent years I've gotten my own NES (I believe the old one was given away) and a number of games for it. My favorites are all four Dragon Warrior games, Final Fantasy, Super Mario Bros. 3, Kirby's Adventure (this game actually rivals SMB3 in my book), old (non-super) Mario Bros, Wrecking Crew (I love the level editor, and the game's an even mix of puzzle and action), Yoshi's Cookie, and Castlevania 2. I guess the RPGness wore off on me a bit :)

Before getting a NES again though, I got a SNES- before I knew anything about the internet I would spend hours and hours playing it. Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past... and many, many other games. The SNES is still my favorite system I think. I even got the "Super Scope" bazooka and Yoshi's Safari, and Mario Paint and the mouse for it :)

Second favorite? Probably my Gameboy SP, but that's thanks to the old gameboy games as much as the Advance games. Super Mario Land and Super Mario Land 2, the Pokemon games (yes the Pokemon games, though I don't bother trying to "catch them all," I just play through and try to find the ones I want for my party), Link's Awakening, and remakes of the Dragon Warrior games... and I'm pretty fond of the newer Castlevania games that are sort of half-RPG, the ones like Symphony of the Night for the playstation, and there's a couple of those in the Gameboy Advance.

Another system I have that I'm pretty fond of is the Virtual Boy :) All I really need is a power glove and I'll be set to move into early/mid-'90s video game obscurity land...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex

SilverZ

« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2006, 10:18 PM »
I am amused.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2006, 10:22 PM »
I loved the Marty Barrett, Miller Lite Player of the Game thing.

And man, it's good to hear Vin Scully again.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2006, 12:50 PM »
I got a kick out of this, from Rebelscum's Wii thread:

Though I am disappointed about one thing... When it was first announced, I got the impression that it would be totally backwards compatible. Namely, that I'd be able to put ANY old cartridge/disc (GameCube, N64, SNES, NES) in there and play it. But that doens't seem to be the case after all. Oh, well... I mean, I'm glad I can put GameCube discs in it, but that wasn't my expectation.

I really like the idea of Nintendo releasing just this big, ugly hunk of plastic, with three different cartridge slots, in addition to the disc tray for GameCube and Wii games.  Hell, they could even have all the different controller jacks too, just so the controllers could be "totally backwards compatible," as well.

'Cause that's definitely cooler than just hooking your Wii up to the 'net and being able to download twenty years' worth of Nintendo games, as well as classic games from former competitors like Sega and TurboGrafx.