Author Topic: Ye Olde Nintendo  (Read 125637 times)

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Olde Nintendo
« Reply #150 on: May 18, 2006, 01:33 PM »
I'm working on an artists rendering of what that system might have looked like.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 18, 2006, 01:40 PM »
I'm working on an artists rendering of what that system might have looked like.

I can't wait.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

SilverZ

« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2006, 02:02 PM »
I'm going to be able to hook Wii up through RF, right?

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2006, 02:34 PM »
I'm going to be able to hook Wii up through RF, right?

I didn't think of that. Now I have to go back and completely redo my artists rendering.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #154 on: May 20, 2006, 03:10 PM »
Don't Wii on the electric fence.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2006, 11:38 PM »
I'm pretty positive I'm going to be getting a Wii instead of the PS3.  I had a Gamecube but never opened it and sold it on eBay a year after I bought it...maily because my gaming time has been for **** since the wee ones game along.  Now, they will be about to the age where they are going to be playing games and the Wii will fit in with what I think they should be playing

Did I read somewhere that old games would be available via download?  If so...this sold me even more

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2006, 01:14 AM »
I think I'd rather have one of these than either the PS2 or 360. The PS3 is just too expensive, and I already have an X-Box and rarely play it. My NES and SNES see more use, and if I can download games from that era and play them on the Wii, that'd be more incentive to buy it. Depends on which games are available via download, though. I want lots of stuff from Capcom and Konami, not just Nintendo's own brands.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2006, 11:27 AM »
Did I read somewhere that old games would be available via download?  If so...this sold me even more

Yep.  From Nintendo:

"Virtual Console: Wii will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). The Virtual Console also will feature a "best of" selection from Sega Genesis titles and games from the TurboGrafx console (a system jointly developed by NEC and Hudson). It also will be home to new games conceived by indie developers whose creativity is larger than their budgets."

I was reading a thing over the weekend from Gamespot.  They actually tried a few of the virtual console games:

Super Mario Bros. from the NES
Super Mario World from the SNES
Super Mario 64 from the Nintendo 64
Sonic the Hedgehog from the Sega Genesis
Bonk's Adventure from the TurboGrafix 16.

Not to get all "console fanboy", but more and more I'm thinking the Wii is the right system for me.  ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

SilverZ

« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2006, 01:04 AM »
Japanese game mag Famitsu just published a poll on system anticipation, and lo and behold:

What hardware are you looking forward to most?
Wii - 68.8%
PS3 - 21.0%
360 - 7.2%
NDS - 3.0%

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2006, 12:08 AM »
Mario Meets The Ice Capades

Also starring:

Jason Bateman, or, as he prefers to be called, "The Video Prince"
A bored-to-tears Alyssa Milano, fresh out of puberty
Mr. Belvedere as King Bowser (!)

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2006, 08:14 AM »
I just bought a used (obviously) SNES and Super Mario All-Stars (contains SMB 1-3) and absolutely love going down memory lane with these games!

The only thing I don't like is the original Super Mario Bros.  They redid the graphics and it looks nothing like the original.

Does anyone have recommendations on what games I should pick up?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2006, 01:12 PM »
The Star Wars games are must-buys. Tell me when you get them- I'll hook you up with a debug cheat for all three.

Contra III- because blowin' **** up is always fun.

Super Castlevania- because it's Castlevania.

Then there's other stuff like Maximum Carnage, Mega Man X, Super Street Fighter II, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Zelda: A Link to the Past, Mortal Kombat II, Mario Kart....

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2006, 01:36 PM »
Then there's other stuff like Maximum Carnage, Mega Man X, Super Street Fighter II, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Zelda: A Link to the Past, Mortal Kombat II, Mario Kart....

Zelda: A Link to the Past is A MUST! My favorite game of all time...

SNES was a great system and IMO the best one they ever made...

I can't wait to get the Wii and see what that bad boy can do. I'm really don't care about the downloading capability since I have every NES, SNES and Genesis game ever made on my computer. I'm more psyched about the new controls and graphics. I only wish the Gameboy Player was compatible with it so I can get rid of my Gamecube...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2006, 03:32 PM »
Does anyone have recommendations on what games I should pick up?

Lot of good ones already mentioned, but here's my list:

If you like platformers/sidescrollers, pick up some of these:
  • Super Metroid - One of the best games of this type ever made
  • Super Star Wars Trilogy - They're all pretty good, but if you can get only one, get Super Empire
  • Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures - Similar to Super Star Wars, but not as good.  Still one of the few Indy games out there actually based on the films
  • Super Mario World - Toward the end of the SNES' days, they made some carts which contained both SMW and Super Mario All-Stars.  In SMW, Luigi was slightly tweaked to look more like Luigi, and there were a few other minor graphics upgrades, as well.
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  • Donkey Kong Country Trilogy - I've only played the first one, and wasn't a huge fan, but these were all pretty popular games, and some of the better looking games released
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Earthworm Jim

If you like beat-'em-ups, pick up one of these:
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time - Fun game, especially if you liked the Turtles arcade game.  Still holds up to this day
  • Batman Returns - Nobody ever talks about this game, but I had a blast playing it, back in the day.  Great sound and graphics for the time.  One of the most under-appreciated SNES games out there.

If you like fighting games, pick up one of the three Street Fighter II games.  I've got the last one, Super Street Fighter II, but I think a lot of people also like Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting.

If you like football, pick up one of the Tecmo Super Bowl games.

If you like hockey, pick up NHL '94 or NHL '95.

If you like RPGs, you're in luck, because there were some crazy good RPGs released for the SNES.  But you're also out of luck, because many of them are really hard-to-find and expensive, even today.  Some of the notables are:
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Final Fantasy II
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Earthbound

If you like good games that I don't feel like doing separate categories for, then try these on for size:
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - my favorite video game of all time, too
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Punch-Out!!
  • Tetris & Dr. Mario

But, whatever you do, above all else, make sure you grab this one:

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #164 on: July 24, 2006, 11:51 PM »
As some of you may know, I've been in the process of moving in with my Fiance recently and I one of the things that has happened recent;y is that I found my old Super Nintendo in the back of my closet along with all the games.

When I brought it to the new house, I decided to hook it up to this old tv in the bedroom which we are no longer using since I brought over my tv's and play some of the games.

Super Mario Kart is just as fun as I remember!   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.