Author Topic: Ye Olde Nintendo  (Read 125653 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Olde Nintendo
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2004, 04:00 PM »
I just saw that pic of the NES Gameboy the other day, pretty cool.  I've always thought about getting a portable, but I don't know if I'd get enough use out of it to justify buying one.  Nice that they have the old NES games for it, but $20 seems a bit steep.  Be nice to see them continue to release some more of the classics.  I know I still bust out the old NES to play Tecmo Super Bowl...Elway's leading the Broncos to an undefeated season as we speak :P.  For some reason, that game just doesn't get old to me.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2004, 02:35 AM »
I found this store here last week in Iowa called Video Games Etc.

Possibly the greatest store on God's green earth, they sell used and new games, and have stuff for any system except Atari 2600 (and its ilk), Neo Geo, and Sega Saturn.
They also sell used DVDs at terrific prices.

Anyway, I picked up Mega Man 2 & 3, Bases Loaded (all 4 seasons), and the 1989 Game Boy Tetris game for $40.

I'm in geek heaven right now. ;D
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2004, 12:35 AM »
Well, it's not the games themselves I'm that interested in--but the NES-style GBA:SP itself.  It looks swell.  I've already got a black GBA:SP that I imported from Japan last year, and now I'm trying to justify buying this new one--and of course, I only play my black SP once in a blue moon, anyway.

I'm a sucker.

As for the games, eh.  Twenty bucks each?  For games that I already have two or three versions of elsewhere?  Probably pass on (most of) those. . .

But I like that system. . .

So, I wound up buying one of these systems today--at Wal-Mart, who price-matched Circuit City's (excellent) $89.99 price.  I'd also like to thank the brain-dead yay-hoos at Wallyworld for making me 15 minutes late for work, which turned to another forty-five minutes at work on top of that.  

"I don't know how to do a price-match!!!"  I think Darth Big Boy may have been ringing me out.

An extra-thanks to Circuit City for not having the Classic NES-style GBA:SP in stock in the first place, when it was in their ad, which made me go to Wal-Mart in the first place.

However, I did pick up the new retro Zelda release--got it and a t-shirt for six bucks and change at Circuit, with help from a ten-dollar gift card from purchasing the new Zelda game for GameCube from them, as well.

All told--my Nintendo/Zelda score today:

-Classic NES-style GBA
-New Zelda GameCube game
-New Old Zelda GBA game
-Free Mario Bros. Plumbing T-shirt

$151 after tax

Not bad.

I still have no need for another GBA:SP, considering I barely play the one I already have, but by God, I've got it, and that's the most important thing.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2004, 01:56 PM »
I'm thinking hard about picking one up...damn

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2004, 11:37 PM »
I'm thinking hard about picking one up...damn

Hey, how about picking one up at Circuit City this week?  They're all on sale--every color, including the new NES version--for $89.99.  Can't beat that.

Ya cheap bastard.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2004, 11:39 PM »
So yeah. Went and picked up our Family pictures after work today which just so happened to be next to Curcuit City.  Hmmm...walked in, saw the GB and bought it, I caved quicker than Courtney Love on a date.  Also picked up Old Zelda and sorta Old Zelda (Link to the Past)

Didn't have Mario or Excitebike the only other two I might want...

Any games I need to pick up? I think I've been told but meh, I'm lazy

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2004, 11:51 PM »
I picked up Excitebike today, and would have grabbed Zelda and Mario as well but my crappy local Circuit City didn't have any in stock.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2004, 12:12 AM »
So yeah. Went and picked up our Family pictures after work today which just so happened to be next to Curcuit City.  Hmmm...walked in, saw the GB and bought it

Hey, nice.  I retract my cheap bastard comment.  Kind of.

I caved quicker than Courtney Love on a date.

Ho!

(And I mean that in both the Andrew Dice Clay way, and in the "hey, Courtney Love is a whore" way.)

Any games I need to pick up? I think I've been told but meh, I'm lazy

Well, here's all the GBA games that I've got:

Konami Collector's Series: Arcade Advanced
The Legend of Zelda: Classic NES Series
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Four Swords
Metroid: Fusion
Metroid: Zero Mission
Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits
Namco Museum
Pac Man Collection
Super Dodge Ball Advance
Super Mario Advance (Super Mario Bros. 2)
Wario Ware, Inc. Mega Microgame$!
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3

All of the Nintendo-made games are fantastic, and you can't really go wrong with any of them.  I don't think Nintendo has released too many stinkers of their own.

That said, I get the most usage from Namco Museum (Ms. Pac Man, Galaga, Dig Dug, Pole Position, Galaxian).  It can be had at most places for ten bucks or so--you can't go wrong.  The other classic compilations are decent--Pac Man's good, Konami's okay, and Midway. . .  well, Midway. . .  that was probably a wasted ten-spot.

My short want list for GBA games:

Mario Golf: Advance Tour
Mario Kart: Super Circuit Racing
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 2 (Super Mario World)
Super Mario Advance 4 (Super Mario Bros. 3)

(And yes, I am a Mario whore.  :(  )

Other GBA games that get a lot of good word-of-mouth:

Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2
Castlevania (any)

And don't forget, the GBA:SP plays everything under the sun with a Game Boy logo, so you can play classic GB games like this:

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
The Legend of Zelda: The Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: The Oracle of Seasons

And of course--every Game Boy system needs a Tetris game to go along with it, so pick up Tetris DX, first released for the GBC way back in 1998.

I'm done.  Enjoy your stuff.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2004, 12:20 AM »
By gum I never knew the backwards compatibility, I actually have been playing old school Tetris on The Original Game Boy, pulled the cartridge and plugged it in, Frank Viola...it works!

That's a pretty hefty list of games, might see how much I actually play this stuff first...I haven't been traveling too much for my job lately but I can see hours of plane fun to be had (instead of the Mile High Club)

I see great potential here for rereleased NES games in a portable mode, that's one of the things that sucked me in, I hope they keep the carts coming.

Thanks for the tips :-*

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2004, 12:56 AM »
My two cents on what to pick up for GBA are as follows:

Both Metriod games
All three Castlevania games

If you a fan of Castlevania games (with the exception of the N64 stinkfest) you'll absolutely love the ones on GBA. I really hope they end up releasing the original Castlevania and Simon's Quest under this classic series. Any word of additional titles in the works?

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2004, 08:07 AM »
Have had this system for some time and actually get more use out of it then my Gamecube.  Now, if they would only release Punchout, The Super Star Wars trilogy and Lifeforce, I would be a happy camper.  

Also, for those old time gamers, be sure to pick up the Williams Arcade Collection (Robotron, Defender, Joust and a couple of other games).  

Anybody pick up Donkey Kong Classic?  I was disappointed, forgetting it was not a conversion of the acutal Arcade game, but the NES version.  Still no Pie Factory level.  Damn!  The Classic NES series games released this week can all be had for $15 with free shipping through Circuit City.  

Anybody have anything good to say about Donkey Kong vs Mario.  Looking for some feedback before buying.  
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 08:18 AM by rebeltrader »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2004, 11:36 AM »
Punch Out was the one I was thinking of along with Metroid and Kid Icarus two of my old tyme favs.

Played a little Zelda last night trying to rack my brain where stuff still was.  I was able to find the 1st and 2nd Dungeons but man that was about it...love that game, I can still remember getting the game for Christmas and playing for weeks on end waiting to beat Ganon.  When I finally did I jumped and ran around the house...oh what an awesome time that was

I was also remembering me and the neighborhood playing hours upon hours of Pro Wrestling Tournies...another one I'd like to see rereleased somehow

What I really want to see though is GameCube compilations of old school Nintendo/Super Nintendo games...exactly like the Mega Man disc that is coming out.  I like 3D, loved for instance Ocarina of Time, but I also am sad that the 2D side scroller went the way of the dodo :'(

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2004, 11:45 AM »
Oh, I remember my buddies and I playing many an hour of Pro Wrestling...good game Scott.  I believe I remember using a guy by the name of "Starman"? the most often.  I've been hoping that Gamecube would come out with NES compilations too.  I still have our old NES, and did have it hooked up before we moved, those games are still so much fun to me.  I can play Tecmo Super Bowl any time.  I've been tempted to get that new NES Gameboy as well, especially if they continue to release classic games.  I don't know if I could justify it though, since I don't travel or anything.  It is pretty spiffy though, the way it looks.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2004, 11:56 AM »
Yeah I've been making new Avatars for myself once the NBA Finals are over (stoopid Colman) Star Man was one I did...anyone can use these BTW

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2004, 12:39 PM »
Here is what Famicom is releasing for Series 2

Mario Bros.
Balloon Fight
Clu Clu Land
Wrecking Crew
Twin Bee
Dig Dug
Dr. Mario
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Adventure Island
Gombare Goemon

Not sure if all of these will be released in the States or not

And I just remembered someone saying Metroid is on one of the Metroid games already...that's good enough for me.  I still want Punch Out though!