Author Topic: Vehicle Repaints and Re-releases: Any You Want To See?  (Read 21344 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Vehicle Repaints and Re-releases: Any You Want To See?
« on: July 20, 2005, 11:49 AM »
From the sounds of the various Q and A sessions Hasbro has done recently, it sounds as if the vehicles offered in "The Saga Collection", if any, will be repaints and retools.  No Cloud Car, at least not for this year from what has been reported.  One vehicle that does seem to be confirmed is a retooled TIE Fighter with new scaled wings.  Knowing that any vehicles released, at least next year, will be using previous molds and likely involve only repaints and/or some minor retooling, what would you like to see?  Are there any that you think should be re-released again?  Here's a few I wouldn't mind seeing, although I'm sure some will disagree:

Snowspeeder - Only because I missed it the first couple of times.  One of the few vehicles I had as a kid (but don't have anymore), so it holds a special place for me in that aspect.  I wouldn't mind seeing it released again, but it was just out in POTJ, so it might not happen.

AT-AT - Although I probably don't have the room for it, I'd try to figure something out.  This is the "big one", and it would be nice to see it on the shelves again.  If not, I'll probably try to pick up a loose sample from POTF2 some day when I have the spare cash.  Probably not a real likely re-release, due to pricepoint.  It seems like anything over $15 (Unleashed) scares Hasbro and retail at this point, especially in a non-movie year.

Tatooine Skiff - It saw release in POTF2, but many people seemed to have missed it (I did too).  Could be a nice re-release, and not a real high pricepoint.

Speeder Bike Sets - Not necessarily needed, but might be a neat lower pricepoint release.  If Hasbro comes out with some new versions of Luke and Leia Endor, along with a SA Scout Trooper, they would make great pack ins with a speeder bike.  Again, might not be likely, but I'd like it.

Ewok Battle Wagon - Again, maybe not a popular choice, but might be an option for re-release.  When I was a wee lad, I know I wanted one of these...and especially wanted the Village playset...but that's a whole other topic. :)

TIE Bomber - Maybe a possibility, wasn't a real wide release from what I saw.  I saw one once, and didn't have the money at the time, so missed out.  Might be an option for a re-release if the demand is there.

I guess my list is only OT vehicles, but right now that's all I'm interested in really.  There are probably other choices for retools and repaints that many of you can think of, these are just off the top of my head.  I'm happy with my Falcon, TIEs, Slave 1, and X-Wing...and those are nice vehicles too...but they have been released somewhat recently so aside from the new scaled wings TIE, they can probably rest for 2006.  Are there any ships you'd like to see repainted or re-released?  From the sounds of things that's the only way we're going to get any vehicles next year.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 11:50 AM by mosnab »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Vehicle Repaints and Re-releases: Any You Want To See?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 12:01 PM »
I'm not interested in any re-releases or repaints of vehicles we've already seen.

Most anything I'd want at this point would be vintage stuff that we still haven't seen get re-released:

Hoth Rebel Transport
Twin Pod Cloud Car
Ewok Battle Wagon

And 2 of those wouldn't sell very well due to their scale issues (Transport) or goofy-EU factor (Ewok Wagon).  So, unless it's something brand new (Sith Interceptor, AT-TE, Swamp Skimmer, etc) - I can live without seeing it at retail.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 12:03 PM »
Tie Bomber
Mini-Rigs Imperial Shuttle Pod
Imperial Shuttle
AT-ST
AT-AT

;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 10:05 AM by HunterofThePegs »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 12:05 PM »
Cool topic -

- AT-ST

- Cloud Car

- Ewok Battle Wagon

- Vintage Mini Rigs

- Eopie

- Hailfire Droid

- Saga Landspeeder

- Rebel Transport

- Snowspeeder

:P

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 12:06 PM »
I do agree with you on that point too Jeff, I'd for the most part rather not see re-releases/repaints...and I'm sure I'm in the minority on many of the things I listed, just because I missed them in the POTF2 days.  If I hadn't, I would need to see them again either.  The rebel transport would be neat though, and definitely a Cloud Car.  It drives me nuts that this is such a tough sell.  I would think it would have to be over a $20 item, max.  They can't sell that as an exclusive to someone?  Heck, Target's "exclusive" figures cost almost that much now ;).

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 12:49 PM »
  • Y-Wing (original colors)
  • Tatooine Skiff
  • AT-AT
  • TIE Fighter (new wings)
  • OT Speeder Bike (retooled handle bars)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 12:50 PM »
What's wrong with dragging out the mini-rigs? Price point is good. For many of them the sculpt isn't bad, if you give them a nice paint-op they'd all look great.

I'd be all for the re-introduction of mini-rig type vehicles sold with a figure (or without) at a price point of $15 - $20.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 01:50 PM »
AAT (Trade Federation Tank)
Anakin's customized Jedi Starfighter from Clone Wars
Aqua Jedi Starfighter from Clone Wars
AT-AT
AT-ST
Clonetrooper and speeder bike (Clone Wars paintjob preferable)
EpI Droid Scout Tank (the mini-AAT thingie)
Eopie :P
Ewok Glider from Saga Ultra line (maybe not really a vehicle)
Falumpaset and ammo wagon
Fambaa with shield generator (FAO Schwartz) -- a little out of my $$ range, but very unlikely anyway
Geonosian Starfighter
Hailfire droid
Mini-rigs
STAP
Vintage Ewok Battlewagon, catapult, other Ewok-tech.

Or, you know, Shuttle Tydririum. But at $200 or whatever it is, I don't think I could justify the expenditure anyway.

Ewok Battle Wagon - Again, maybe not a popular choice, but might be an option for re-release.  When I was a wee lad, I know I wanted one of these...and especially wanted the Village playset...but that's a whole other topic. :)

Duuuude! Just the other day I suggested that in the Endor Wave thread, and I was sure I was the only person on the face of the Earth who though this would be a good idea. ;D *high-fives mosnab, Jeff, and Chewie*
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 02:59 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 02:35 PM »
I wouldn't mind picking up a revised saga landspeeder for my luke, 3p0 and r2 to ride in.
also wouldn't mind a tie bomber or tie interceptor. I never did get the sandcrawler they released last year.
and I would like a naboo fighter, I never did pick that up during ep1.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 02:41 PM »
Actually, I really don't need to see any repaints with the vehicles.  The paint jobs on most are fine, it's the sculpts that are lacking.

I still think that they should make a new Snowspeeder that would be to scale.  The Vinatge one, while awesome, is waaay to big. The new one should only be like 7 or 8 inches long.  It could be sold with a Luke pilot figure in a cool display box.  I think it would sell like mad, just like the beautiful Saga Landspeeder.

I'd also like to see the TIE with new wings.  That I'll buy.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 03:52 PM »
No more repaints or re-releases.  Just give me a ******* Cloud Car.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 04:24 PM »
I wouldn't mind picking up a revised saga landspeeder for my luke, 3p0 and r2 to ride in.
also wouldn't mind a tie bomber or tie interceptor. I never did get the sandcrawler they released last year.
and I would like a naboo fighter, I never did pick that up during ep1.

You should have no problem picking up a Naboo Fighter.  I think some e-tailers are still trying to clearance them out!

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 07:20 PM »
No more repaints or re-releases.  Just give me a ******* Cloud Car.

Agreed, 100 percent. 

Everybody wants Cloud Car: "No plans at this time."

Everybody already has the Falcon (including TRU who has mountains of them at full price):  "AWESOME rerelease in an AWESOME new AWESOME box."

What got me was them telling someone that if we wanted a Cloud Car to go out and buy a vintage one.  If it's that easy to go out and buy a vintage one, why don't they go out and buy one themselves, and then CREATE A MOLD BASED ON THEIR OWN ******* TOY AND RELEASE IT?!?!

That said, do a totally new Biker Scout (SA if possible), slap it on a slightly repainted Saga Clone Speeder Bike (it's the same damned bike), put it out as a small vehicle, do new SA basic carded versions of Luke and Leia on Endor, and everyone's happy.  More accurate Speeder Bike, more accurate Biker Scout, more accurate Luke and Leia, and that's that.

Repainted vehicles?  No.  Rerelease older HTF (thanks Target!) vehicles like the Skiff or Y-Wing in their original forms?  YES.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 07:28 PM »
Not excited for repaints to be honest.  The Sandcrawler is probably going to be my last vintage vehicle repaint I buy.  Unless something super cool comes our or there is something I forgot. 

A Cloud Car could get me to buy I suppose. 

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2005, 11:40 PM »
Everybody already has the Falcon (including TRU who has mountains of them at full price):  "AWESOME rerelease in an AWESOME new AWESOME box."

To be fair, the general toy-buying public (A.K.A. kids) is more likely to want a Falcon than some weird orange thing that appeared in the background of only one movie.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)