Author Topic: Dreamweaver questions/advice  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
Dreamweaver questions/advice
« on: February 28, 2006, 01:50 PM »
I'm to the point where I'm ready to make the next leap in web programming from basic HTML to Dreamweaver.

As a student at a University, I've got a few options to purchase a couple of versions of Adobe/Macromedia's software at reduced prices:

1) Studio MX 2004    $117

2) Studio MX 2004 with Flash MX 2004  $145

3) Studio 8 $299

4) Dreamweaver 8 $199

Any Dreamweaver users here that can comment on the differences between the MX 2004 and 8 versions or the differences between the Flash included in Studio MX 2004 and Flash MX 2004? Any suggestions?

Thanks!    :)

Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection

Offline Imperial Outpost

• Youngling
  • I'm not a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
Re: Dreamweaver questions/advice
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 04:51 PM »
If you're using Dreamweaver mainly for HTML, I very much doubt that you'll notice any difference between MX and 8.

Again with the Flash, unless you are an advanced user there's little difference between Flash MX 2004 and Flash 8.

Also (and this is from memory) I think you get Freehand with Studio MX whereas they've removed it from Studio 8.

If in doubt, you can download the full version of Studio 8 from the Macromedia website and use it for 30 days with no restrictions. Speaking as someone who just bought Studio 8 for £650 + VAT (around $1330!), $299 seems a bargain, but I would say that it's $150 you don't need to spend...

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
Re: Dreamweaver questions/advice
« Reply #2 on: March 4, 2006, 01:51 PM »
Thanks for the response. I wanted to see if any users thought there was a huge leap between the two versions.

Certainly, I'm not going to complain about the education prices for either version, especially compared to the prices you listed!   :o
Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection