Author Topic: What is Your Favorite "Other SW Collectible"?  (Read 11373 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
What is Your Favorite "Other SW Collectible"?
« on: March 18, 2004, 11:02 AM »
Sometimes it seems like the "other" collectibles are neverending for Star Wars, and I know that there are several others that I would like to get into if I had the money and space for them.  Out of what you have in your collection, which is your favorite "other" collectible...whether it is a single item or a certain line of items.  For me, outside of basic figures (vintage and modern) and the ships, etc. along with them, the other collectibles I have are OT Unleashed, the Playskool line (OT only), and I'm working on completing a Burger King Glass set (and a few other miscellaneous items).  I guess for me, I like all of these other focuses....but the Playskool line or the glasses would be my favorite.  I am really hoping the Playskool line does end up continuing...and I look forward to completing the OT glasses sometime this year too.  Maybe it is nostalgia, but I have always just loved these things.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: What is Your Favorite "Other SW Collectible"?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 11:06 AM »
#1 Kubricks
#2 Unleashed
#3 Playskool

Kubricks are probably my favorite thing going in all of Toydom right now...the universal scale and different lines (SW, Marvel, DC, Muppets, Sesame Street, Back to the Future etc) make them great for displaying together.  No different scales, no different paint jobs, they all look the same and look great together.  Not too mention the thrill of chase and hidden figures.  

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 12:28 PM »
I thought you didn't like chase figures Scott, a la Marvel Legends ???

1. Tomy mini-dioramas
2. Riddell Helmets
3. Unleashed
4. Kubricks

2 and 4 are damn expensive.  1 is dirt cheap with only two series per year and these are really remarkably well done.  I love the unleashed, but feel their selection is a bit wonky.  They absolutely do great poses and the treatments are excellent, but I still question some of the choices.  There are just so many other ideas I think should have been done first, but that is just a matter of opinion.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 12:52 PM »
I don't...but opening up Kubricks is about the most fun thing I have ever done with action figures since I have actually played with them :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 02:31 PM »
Have you had much luck then with chase figures?  Thus far I've been shut out.

It would be neat if mini-mates would make Star Wars figures.  Just to add to the confusion.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 02:41 PM »
I haven't opened any Star Wars, most of the other ones I have bought though I have opened

I'm hoping for LOTR Kubricks (they are making Mini-Mates) SW Mates would rock...unfortunately I don't think the can because of Lego

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 02:48 PM »
Kubricks, Playskool & anything vintage. To many good things in the vinty line to narrow it down.  ;D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 03:55 PM »
Hmm, Lego license.  Hadn't contemplated that either.  I do like the Lego figures though, pretty cool little guys.  Mini-mates would be better.  The only mini-mate I own is a Spock (wifey has McCoy) :-X

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 05:01 PM »
If you're talking ANY "other collectible", then I'd have to say the Master Replicas stuff.  I love those beautiful prop replicas, but unfortunately can't afford to buy them.   :-\  Their upcoming AT-AT might be the coolest licensed "other collectible" ever though!

As for affordable stuff, I pick up most of the Legos (or maybe these don't qualify as "other" since they've got their own forum), and have recently started eyeing those cool Kubricks too.   8)  I also enjoy picking up random vintage stuff as well, from shirts to albums, to books and magazines, etc.

Offline hasek3993

• Youngling
  • scalpers are figments of your imagination
    • View Profile
    • scruffy customs
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 08:10 PM »
great subject!!
i would definetly say lifesize props, characters mainly.
and heres my pride and joy my fett and also vader:

i also have  the three yodas, its just great seeing peoples faces when they see them.i also agree the MR stuff is awesome. as far as  low end stuff the playskool line is hard to beat, also the koto kits are a fav of mine.  i like all "other collectibles" though, it spices up a collection.
i love it when a plan comes together

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 9, 2004, 03:20 PM »
Just bumping this up, wondering if anyone's "favorite" other collectible (in Star Wars) has changed...or maybe you've picked up a new line that is your current favorite.  I really enjoy everything I collect in Star Wars, and I am still tempted on a weekly basis to join the ranks of the Kubrick collectors (maybe once I have some more $ to spend), but I think one line that I am really digging right now is the Unleashed series.  This is a line I hope continues on for quite some time, as long as it makes sense, and there are tons of figure options available for them to still visit.  There aren't so many of them each year that we get over saturated with them either, which helps to keep it fresh I think.  Plus, I can't afford the great product put out by Gentle Giant really right now, so it is a nice "statue/adult collectible" alternative for me personally.  I also really enjoy the Galactic Heroes line, which is just fun, and relatively inexpensive to collect.  Any lines you are particularly enjoying right now in the Star Wars world?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: September 9, 2004, 03:25 PM »
I really enjoy everything I collect in Star Wars, and I am still tempted on a weekly basis to join the ranks of the Kubrick collectors (maybe once I have some more $ to spend)

Come to the Dark Side

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2004, 02:31 PM »
Posters are great
Comics are fun and inexpensive, great art
Trading cards are also in abundance.

SW Food/food related items are possibly my fav. (also anything you can find in a grocery store, toothbrushes, Puffs tissues, Dixie cups, etc.)

Hard to pick just one category.
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2004, 11:13 PM »
The original promo glassware- the ones I've kept all these years and was obsessive about when I was younger.  I was so in love with Luke that I kept begging anyone to take me to BK to get the glasses, hoping to get one w/ him on it- and unfortunately I kept getting the Leia/Jabba glasses.  So, I have 8 Leia/Jabbas and around 3 Lukes (some have broken over the years) in my cabinet.  Some reason I only have two Hans and one Ewok from ROTJ's line.  I do use them on occassion- but usually only when I have other fans over- sort of a "marked" drink system works out w/ them. 
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 03:17 PM »
I've been contemplating which Other Collectible line would be my favorite, but I think it tends to evolve/change over time, so it's hard to really say.  The Master Replicas FX lightsabers would be right up there.  Those things are the most fun I've had since I was dressing up as Darth Vader for Halloween back in the 70's...  I was pretty sure I was a real Jedi when I first whipped that Anakin FX saber around, and the subsequent sabers are even better!

I'm with Grant on the MR props too.  Best stuff out there, though too rich for my blood at this point.  I'd love to get into that line someday though.

Despite some of the negative pub they've gotten early on, I still really like the Code 3 ships so far.  Really nice work, even though they may not quite be worth their $300 price tag...

Then there's the always loveable little Kubricks.  A great, and challenging, collectible line right there!  Love the new WOTC minis too, and I'm sure I'll be digging the upcoming Gentle Giant Bust-Ups line as well...

Starting to enjoy the latest Unleashed sculpts, so that's a line I'm digging getting into.

But I think Shannon just may have reminded me what my all-time favorite Other Collectible just might be...  The vintage Burger King glasses.  Such nostalgia and wonderful memories with those!  I unfortunately lost my sets in the family garage sales of the early 80's, but I was fortunately able to replace them all with a great complete set of all 12 in mint condition off of eBay for only $50 about 5 years ago (from a local seller, in person, no less).  Bummed they're not MY original glasses, but it's nice to have a beautiful new set of them anyway.  I'd love to get the posters that went along with them as well...   8)