Author Topic: What is Your Favorite "Other SW Collectible"?  (Read 11373 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: What is Your Favorite "Other SW Collectible"?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2004, 03:31 PM »
That's a tough one... I have 2 other favorites. First would be posters/prints/artwork. A sample of my collection can be seen here (shameless plug :) ), while my other favorite would be clothing/t-shirts. I've got about 100 now, and I'm working on making a little photo library of those too  ;D

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
What's the Favorite part of your collection?
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2005, 06:19 PM »
I was askedhis by Yodafan at a small BBQ at my place and I really had a tough time answering it.  Every part of my collection has it's own little appeal to me, otherwise I wouldn't have it, but still, what is my favorite???

My vintage figures are really special to me since they were what got me started in this whole crazy hobby.  I don't collect vintage anymore because I think it would ins some small way make the vintage figures I owned and spent countless hours playing with somehow less special.  I'm sure plenty of you disagree, but hey, that's just me.

My collection has evolved as this hobby has in the past 27 years.  I guess what really appeals to me in my collection are the odd pieces that most people and the casual collector might not have.  Stuff like:

-The Diecast NASCAR cars.
-My Movie Posters (which look great now that they're all up on my living room wall!)
-The odd exclusive figure like Theater Luke, Toy Fair and Lava Vader, Holo Yoda and the Holiday Sets....just because they are different and geared toward the collector and not necessarily the kids.

So what's the stand-out item(s) in your collection???
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the Favorite part of your collection?
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 12:57 AM »
Y'know, I read this and had to sit back for a long while and think about it.  Like you Matt, I like pretty much everything I have.  I really love the vinty figs because it seemed like a team effort out of here, the nostalgia I never experienced as a kid was created in adulthood and it was challenging to get them. 

But my favorite stuff has to be the Riddell mini-helmets.  They're just such nice pieces and for the most part I got them pretty cheap, stormtrooper not withstanding.  They're quite unique, a little less common and darn well done.  It's also a fairly limited set in the sense of they don't eat a lot of space, like the Unleashed do.  THose are fantastic pieces as well, but they just keep coming and coming!
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2005, 07:37 AM »
Tough question.  I like my Lego collection, I like my Hasbro collection (most of it anyways).  But I would have to say my top three are: Kubrick, Unleashed and the Applause figural mugs.  All pretty cool pieces.  Kubrick and Unleashed are fairly common collectibles, but I think the mugs were overlooked by a lot of collectors, which is shame - they're really nice pieces that display well.

A question for you, Matt.  How many diecast Nascar SW cars are there?  I assume you're talking about 1/24 scale.  I only have John Andretti's car and the three 1/64 cars that you could get from a cereal promotion when AOTC came out.  I know Jeff Gordan is the main driver to have a SW paint scheme, but I refuse to buy any of that tool's merchandise.  Any other drivers with SW paint jobs (either previously or upcoming?)

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2005, 11:19 AM »
My Imperial Armies.  Not that they are anywhere near as big as some of you folks.  But 300 and counting. 

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2005, 11:22 AM »
Tough question. Im thinking my ATAT or Snowspeeder...
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2005, 12:02 PM »
The MR props, Gentle Giants mini busts & statues.

Have never enjoyed my collection more!

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2005, 01:01 PM »
The highlights of my collection aren't rare or expensive, they're just things I really dig or which have sentimental value.

Off the top of my head:

original (95) Essential Guide to Characters -- my very first EU book. I guess I can blame the EGTC for putting me into this whole mess. :P

POTF2 Boba Fett -- I'm not even a big fan of Boba, but he was my first SW action figure.

POTF2 Death Star Escape Playset -- it's not that big or frankly exciting, but I found it on clearance some years back and bought it on a whim. It's a neat enough little piece, for what it is. I think the reason it appeals is because I didn't even know it existed till I found it, so it had some thrill of discovery associated with it.

Shadows of the Empire Dash Rendar and Boussh Leia, because they're cool, because of nostalgia, and because they ended up being pretty uncommon.

EU Concept Speeder Bike -- the only thing I have from the short-lived POTF2 EU attempt.

MicroMachines and Action Fleet -- much nostalgic attachment, in particular the Shuttle Tydirium which was the first one I got.

And actually, all of my POTF2 and EpI figures, due to increasing nostalgia as years go by.

TPM Scout Tank -- another piece I didn't even know existed until I bought it on a whim. A nifty sorta-EU variant on the AAT.

All my Clone Wars stuff -- toys, posters, books, comics.

StarWarsShop.com exclusive ROTS logo shirt -- this thing roXX. I love it.

Holo Yoda -- the only remotely rare exclusive I own. Plus I scored him at Midnight Madness. *gloats and rubs everyone's nose in it* :P

AT-RT -- it's a cool toy, I dig every type of walker, it's the first ROTS toy I got besides Holo Yoda, and I got it at Midnight Madness.

Various EU books I've had signed by the authors

A NJO baseball cap I got at a book signing (Jim Luceno for The Unifying Force) by answering a trivia question. I got Mr. Luceno to sign it, and I hope to get Troy Denning, Matt Stover, and Aaron Allston to sign at C3.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 09:41 AM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2005, 02:30 PM »
Definitely a tough question, and hard for me to pinpoint one area probably.  The basic figure collection is easily the largest part of my collection, and really the basis of me starting into Star Wars collecting anyways, so that definitely is very important to me.  As a side note to that, the vintage figures I have hold a special place for me, because I still find them cool, and they definitely have that nice nostalgia-ey feeling to them :).

Other than those, I really enjoy the Unleashed collection I have, along with the vintage BK glasses, and my Star Wars framed posters.  My wife picked up and framed the vintage posters for me as a birthday present a couple of years ago, so those definitely hold a special place.  I guess I can't do a good job of picking the "favorite" part of my collection, because it could be a number of things, and is always changing.  Right now, I really enjoy the ROTS stuff I've been picking up...but overall, I'm usually more of an OT person.  The VOTC figures are really nice too, and if I didn't have anything else modern, I'd probably at least have those.  Overall, all of those stems from my vintage toys (and the movies, obviously), so I'd say those figures, the movie posters, and the glasses (vintage stuff all around) are probably my favorite overall, but I really do like everything that I've been fortunate enough to pick up over the years.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2005, 02:53 PM »
A question for you, Matt.  How many diecast Nascar SW cars are there?  I assume you're talking about 1/24 scale.  I only have John Andretti's car and the three 1/64 cars that you could get from a cereal promotion when AOTC came out.  I know Jeff Gordan is the main driver to have a SW paint scheme, but I refuse to buy any of that tool's merchandise.  Any other drivers with SW paint jobs (either previously or upcoming?)

Mikey, as far as I know, there's the Jeff Gordon Episode I car.  The John Andretti cars you have for Episode II, and the Jeff Gordon, Elliot Sadler, Dale Jarret, and the concept Promo Darth Vader car for Episode III.  I do stick with the 1:24 scale because of the detail, but I also have the three from the Cheerios giveaway back in 2002.

Interesting choices from everyone else...as I knew they would be.  I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only one to find the question a bit difficult.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 06:24 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2005, 05:33 PM »
Yes, this is a tough one, but I'll give it a whirl.

(in no particular order)

* Vintage Star Wars Vader MOC - hard to believe that this thing is still in the package - it's almost thirty years old!  Memories...scattered pictures.... ;)

*Jedi Force Vader and Chewbacca - not mine, but my son's.  First SW figures I bought for him!   ;D  Though I play with them more than him, he wants to play with the Koto Vader I have (supposedly) out of his reach.  He came into our living area last night with his arms wrapped around it!!  Yikes, don't drop it!

*ARC-170 - First ship I bought from ROTS - the boy loves this thing. 

*POTF2 AT-AT - Never had one as a kid, always had to go over to the neighbor's house to play with his. 

*TPM R2-B1 and TC-14 - Wife bought me these for Sweetest day - had no idea they were rare! 

*First 24 Vintage SW figures (loose but pristine) - you wouldn't believe how tight the limbs are on these guys - I swear they've never been played with.  Found them in a podunk Antique mall.  Boba has the rocket disclaimer which I think is kinda cool!

*MR ANH Vader saber - first saber to make an appearance in the SW saga and hey, it's Vader! - only 1:1 saber I own and most likely ever will.   >:(

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2005, 06:01 PM »
Well, I guess I'll be the first one to say this: the DVDs of the 5 films. :)

If you want actual "collectibles" counted, though, I'd have to say the ROTJ Burger King glass with Luke, Vader, and Palpatine on it.  This was the only one I had when I was a kid, and it somehow survived into adulthood by being put in the back of my grandma's kitchen cabinet away from light and the elements.  My mother dug it out about two years ago and I was beyond thrilled.  I swore up and down I was going to try to put together a complete set of the BK glasses from all three films, but due to finances and health problems, I never did.

One of my cousins, however, gave me a head-start and got all four ROTJ glasses for me, mint condition, from someone online, so that was a really big moment for me, collecting-wise.  It's odd that with all the pieces that have cost me countless dollars over the years, it's the one glass that was maybe a buck from when I was a kid that brings me the most happiness.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2005, 06:09 PM »
I agree with the sentiment of this being a very difficult question.  It's almost like asking a parent which of their kids is their favorite...  ;)

I think right now, I'd probably go with my Kubrick collection.  They're cool, unique, fairly rare, nostalgic, and are made by a company (Medicom) that I really respect and appreciate.  Plus, they're a challenge to get, which adds a little excitement to collecting the line.

Another thing I'd definitely have to include, and thanks to Michael for the reminder, is my complete set of the vintage Burger King glasses.  I can't even beging to explain the nostalgia I have attached to those, especially the first 4 from ANH.  Unfortunately, the ones I now own were bought off of eBay about 6 years ago ($50 for all 12), since I had to replace my childhood ones that were sold off in one of the family garage sales at some point.

But I don't count the DVDs in here, since those aren't collectibles, IMO.  They're simply a standard "must own" item for any Star Wars fan and collector!  That's like saying my underwear is my favorite part of my clothing wardrobe.  Yeah, they're great.  But basically they're just essential, and thus rather unnoteworthy and common...  ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 06:11 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2005, 03:44 AM »
I gotta get me a set of thoe BK glasses. I need a visual guide or something to get me started.

I'm gonna break this down a bit..

vintage- Chewbacca's Bandolier Strap. I got this back in the day, and thought it was the coolest thing EVER. Not the best way to store one's figures, but I didn't have one of those C-3PO or Vader cases, so this was cool.
My mom has a picture of four-year-old me wearing this with a Masters of the Universe child-sized sword and shield.  It disappeared sometime in the late 80's, but thankfully, it's one of the few pieces in the vintage line that isn't expensive, so I got another boxed one. Joke was on me that it doesn't fit anymore.

Modern- Tough call. I've finally got all those big-ass vehicles (except the Shuttle), but I don't know if any of those are it.
I think I'll go with my army of Stormtroopers. I only had one Stormtrooper in the vintage days, and my mother didn't like buying repeats (this coming from a lady who had to buy five R2-D2s since mine kept losing their legs) and now I have a lot, both vintage and modern.

Runners up-- Full set of carded VOTC or full set of Masters of the Universe Commemerative Series reissues.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2005, 04:31 AM »
Gee, can I say "toys" for my answer? How about tied for favorite "toys and personalized items"? :P

I guess the thing I find most enjoyable is having the whole Rebel Alliance or Cantina or Jabba's Palace assembled for display on my shelves. So that pretty much includes all the best modern renderings of each character.

Then there's the autographed photos from Anthony Daniels, Carrie Fisher et al, souvenirs of having met them.

So putting it that way, it's pretty much "toys and personalized items". :D Oh yeah, also my pic of me and Chewie at SWC. Yeah, that, too. :P