Author Topic: Star Wars Posters  (Read 116969 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Posters
« Reply #75 on: July 5, 2005, 10:52 AM »
Yeah, it is.  Six pages at 48 per. ;)

Interesting to note that the 11x17 posters are more than the 27x40 versions.  They also have framed versions of the larger posters on the last page, but those are fairly steep.  Probably not after you add the framing costs if you do it yourself.  I wish there was a relatively inexpensive framing option to have nice frames.  $150 plus per poster is a bit too much for me.  

They have some nice Indy posters as well. 8)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 5, 2005, 12:42 PM »
I wish I could remember where I saw them, but I'm sure that I've seen affordable poster frames before.  They're basically a plain black metal frame with a piece of glass to protect the poster.  Maybe Wal-Mart or some similar department store?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 5, 2005, 01:30 PM »
Yeah, depending on what you are looking for, you can find different poster frames at Wal-Mart/Target.  Some quite cheap ($9.96), but they aren't exactly spectacular frames.  It depends what you want I guess. My wife first started my poster collection with the ESB and ROTJ posters, and picked up some frames at Target that I really like.  Bigger, box-ish frames that run around $30 each.  Kind of pricey for me, but I'll just be framing one poster from each movie in these.  Otherwise, as far as my Clone Wars/Special Edition/Other posters I lean towards the cheaper frames.  They still look pretty nice, and are much more cost effective for me personally.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 5, 2005, 02:06 PM »
We've used the clear plastic sheet that has a backing board and small metal brackets for my daughters posters, but I prefer having a frame and matting for the real pictures (as though star wars is art ::)).  But once you add framing, the Code 3 posters actually end up being cheaper than a 27x40 poster framed and matted. 

Since we'll be redoing a basement, a portion of which will be an entertainment room, possibly with a projector and screen setup, making it a movie-ish theme might be cool.  I was thinking of decorating with some movie posters - Indy, SW, possibly some classic Disney cartoon type stuff.  These would be a good fit, but I didn't want to spend a ton on frames. 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 5, 2005, 02:39 PM »
The framing shop that I've gone to told me that I can get a discount when I bring in 6 or more posters to frame at once, since that is the number of pieces of glass that come in a case.

Since I want the 6 SW posters framed, it should save me about 25%.  It's still going to cost me about $100 a piece though.   :-\

However, that's a hell of a lot better than it could be.  She's going to use vinyl frames to save money compared to wood.  Apparently vinyl costs about a 1/3 of wood but looks just like it - she showed them to me and they look great.   :)

I had initially planned to find the cheapest possible frame that I could find, but when she showed those frames to me, I was hooked.  The nice frame really adds a lot of punch to the poster, without costing $300 a piece. 

Amazing how the frame is still 2 to 5 times the price of the poster.   ::)
« Last Edit: July 5, 2005, 02:40 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2005, 06:26 PM »
AllPosters sent me this code to save 25% off until tomorrow - SH25.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 06:26 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2005, 03:35 PM »
I usally go to this convenience store called 5Below and they have a whole crapload of SW posters there, including the ROTS theatrical version.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 1, 2005, 11:29 AM »
AllPosters is having a pre-Christmas sale - 20% off everything.

Just use MHR39 during checkout.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2006, 12:26 PM »
Another AllPosters.com sale - 20% off everything until March 1st - use the code 20FEBY.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2006, 02:19 PM »
For all you Yoda fans... Yoda 4th of July Poster

Only 750 being printed. SWshop.com Exclusive
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 02:20 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2006, 05:11 PM »
Can someone point me in a direction to find out how to tell if vintage theater posters are real or fake?  I've a line on some that might be the real deal including a rolled Star Wars poster.  I know the folded is more common and I've seen recently ended auctions for the rolled version but I need to know how to tell whether it's the real deal or not. 

The sale also includes two folded ROTJ posters and an Empire poster from the 1997 re-release. 

It's a very good deal if they are real (I believe the Jedi to be real).  The Empire poster isn't such a big deal and the guy's been quite honest about it too.

Answered my own question.  Looking for a hair on the belt.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 05:20 PM by Morgbug »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #86 on: August 1, 2006, 12:07 AM »
That's a cool reference for SW posters Brent.

Thanks for the info.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 1, 2006, 07:40 PM »
 ;D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 2, 2006, 02:13 PM »
I can categorically state that you people are no fun whatsoever for not taking any interest in my new acquisition.  Mr. Fury is excluded, of course. 

So over on snowtroopers.ca a guy pointed me towards an auction on a local Winnipeg sales board.  Kind of a mini-ebay of sorts, but not auctions, just listings with prices.  I contacted the guy and he told me he had several posters.  These included an original Star Wars one sheet style A; original Return of the Jedi one sheet style A; original Return of the Jedi one sheet style B and an Empire Strikes Back re-release poster from just prior to the release of Jedi.  He also indicated that the Star Wars poster was a rolled version.  If you read through the link I provided you'd know that's pretty darn rare so I just about wet myself at the prospect.  We talked for a while, but I wasn't too keen on picking them up, given his asking price (which was fair, btw). 

I didn't know much either, so I dug out the resource I linked above and read about as much as I could.  He emailed me back on Monday with a lower asking price and I met up with him yesterday to take a look at them.  Here's what he had:

Star Wars Style A One Sheet

You can see pretty easily it wasn't in fact rolled (although he had rolled it) but rather was a folded version.  While a little disappointing because it wasn't uber rare, it was a little reassuring because the rolled versions seem to be faked a whole lot more.  I took a good close look at it and even measured it with a $1.50 tape measure I picked up at the dollar store prior to meeting up with the dude.  Sure enough the dimensions were spot on 27x41 (and 1/8 ;)). 

Even though it wasn't rolled, I checked for Luke's "hairy belt" and nope, not there:

Good, next point - Copyright is supposed to be offset/indented by 1/8":

Groovy, check.  Took a look at the lower right to see which version we're looking at and it appears to be Version 3 from the website with only 77/21 across the bottom right, no 'Star Wars' below it.

You can see a little tear and this poster and the others have some tears along the folds, hardly a surprise unfortunately.  So pretty cool by my estimation and I'd suggest I now own an original release Style A Star Wars One Sheet 8)

I also picked up the following posters from him, all folded and all seemingly the real deal, though I can't be completely positive on these.  The information on what to look for in the ROTJ posters isn't as abundant and I haven't found anything really telltale at this point.  I am a little concerned about the Style B poster as the markings on the lower right don't seem identical, so maybe it's a later version or re-release ???  The other version (Style A) seems a good match, and I actually prefer that poster anyway, so I'm happy and feel comfortable saying it's legit.  :

Return of the Jedi Style A One Sheet:

Return of the Jedi Style B One Sheet:

Both are in pretty good shape, but some minor tears and some pinholes as well. 

The last poster I picked up was an Empire poster from the re-release in the summer of 1981:

There's no record at all of this poster on the site I linked, so I've got no clue at all what the deal is with it.  The guy stated he didn't think it was worth much and he was more or less throwing it in with the others so all three movies would be represented.  If anyone knows anything about that poster, please let me know as I'm quite curious. 

I suppose now I'm in the market for a legitimate Empire One Sheet.  I'd much prefer the advance version with the Vader head on starry background but could live with the "gone with the wind" version as well.  I'd like to get these linen backed, but I'm not about to send them south because of the customs fees I'd have to pay coming back to Canada ::) so I'll try and find a place locally.  I'll probably go with the place we get our "real" artwork from, rather than the local U-Frame It place.  I'm thinking it would be cool to display one of each framed and have the Code 3 3-D versions above them. 

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 2, 2006, 02:54 PM »
I've a line on some that might be the real deal including a rolled Star Wars poster. 

Your post didn't say you had acquired it. :P  Now that we know, we can share in your excitement.   Very cool posters Brent -- good deal. :)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(