Author Topic: 2006 TRU Clone Wars Gunship  (Read 53230 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2006 TRU Clone Wars Gunship
« Reply #135 on: May 3, 2006, 03:41 PM »
How many Rancors are there in the Galaxy?  2?  3?  Why would a Clone Trooper outfit even know what the hell a Rancor even is?  My guess is that its a Wampa, they probably know what they are as well ::)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #136 on: May 3, 2006, 03:54 PM »
How many Rancors are there in the Galaxy?  2?  3?  Why would a Clone Trooper outfit even know what the hell a Rancor even is?  My guess is that its a Wampa, they probably know what they are as well ::)

Actually, there are lots of rancors in the galaxy. There's an entire species of them found on several planets, primarily Dathomir where they originated. And yes, that's EU, but so is the Clone Wars toon so it's a valid point.

Point taken on the wampa thing though. That kind of thing bugs me as well--characters knowing stuff that the viewer does, but that most people in-universe logically would not. Why must one in two EU stories make some sort of reference to Tatooine, when by all accounts it's the ass end of the galaxy? ::)
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 4, 2006, 06:20 AM »
Got my shipping confirmation from Amazon on the Gunship yesterday afternoon, and UPS claims it will be here by tomorrow afternoon.  Here's to hoping that actually comes to pass.  :)

I went into the local TRU the other day and I talked with what had to be the nicest manager in any retail outlet I have ever entered.  She spent at least 30 minutes trying to figure out when they would be getting the Gunship and/or the ARC Battle Pack, even calling other employees out of the stockroom to see if they knew anything.  She even let me look over her shoulder while she was doing an SKU lookup on it, and while "my" TRU won't be getting them until next week at the earliest, she showed me how many were ordered (220,000 or something like that) and how many their store would be getting, at minimum.

It was like Bizarro-TRU to say the least.  Over the years, the few TRUs I've been in have had the rudest employees and the most spiteful managers of any retailer, and this TRU is the complete opposite.  Super cool manager, super cool employees, and if they'd stop asking me for my telephone number at the register, it would be a super cool TRU overall.  ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #138 on: May 4, 2006, 06:34 AM »
I consider the color blue on the ship its squad markings or just pilot preference...  Nothing to do with the eyes/teeth.  The famous P-40 squadron with shark's teeth/eyes in WW2 had colors that didn't match a shark on the plane...  It was the eyes/teeth's impression that they left on the enemy that made the plane...  The other colors for whatever reason (camo-ing, mission designation, etc.), are inconsequential really to the teeth/eyes then.

And yes it is pretty comical that the Clones know of Rancors, though EU does have a planet of them...  I dunno, maybe it's a popular planet? :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #139 on: May 4, 2006, 09:43 AM »
if they'd stop asking me for my telephone number at the register, it would be a super cool TRU overall.  ;)

Whenever I'm asked, my telephone number is 849-1138.  Makes it a fun little game for me.

I feel sorry for the poor bastard who actually has that number here in town, though.

But not too sorry.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #140 on: May 4, 2006, 01:16 PM »
Well, Shark, Rancor, what-ever you want to call it, it's now listed as in-stock at Amazon.com.

So, if you're one of those folks who doens't like the iffy-ness of Amazon pre-orders, you can go ahead and order now.   :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #141 on: May 4, 2006, 01:38 PM »
Not to throw another animal/creature in to the mix... I think of the CW S2 DVD Genndy referred to it as a "space whale".

OR maybe I dreamt it  :P
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #142 on: May 4, 2006, 01:47 PM »
I went back and listened to that part of the commentary yesterday.  Gendy asks one of the other guys to talk about the Gunship, and the other guy just said something about making a nod to the old WWII fighters with the shark paintjobs, and that they just changed it from a shark to a rancor.  And that was pretty much it.

As for the question of blue rancors--I don't know.  But most of the Exploited Universe is bull**** to begin with, so I don't see how a blue rancor would be any less silly than the rest of it.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #143 on: May 4, 2006, 03:38 PM »
Well, since its not even in the story, you can imagine that its whatever the hell you want.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Darth_Ice

• Banned
  • Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 4, 2006, 04:38 PM »
 ;D
Well here in so cal the stores are getting a max 2 cases CW gunships at one time ( two in each case) Got mine last night after an hour of being told they did nt have anymore.. ;)

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 4, 2006, 07:39 PM »
I'm sitting on the fence whether or not to buy this one...I'm on a budget of 50 bucks but if I buy this I won't have the ARC troops to put in it...maybe I'll buy the battlepack and wait for more money to purchase the ship.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 5, 2006, 11:24 AM »
Gendy asks one of the other guys to talk about the Gunship, and the other guy just said something about making a nod to the old WWII fighters with the shark paintjobs

WW2 Paint jobs....? A Shark? I thought they(P-40 squadron) were called 'the flying tigers'.

Anyway, I think the artwork is most Nexu-like. The Nexu at least has nice teeth and striping on the body.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 5, 2006, 01:18 PM »
Everyone  has a different interpretation on this.  I was looking at mine last night and the first thing that came to mind was a Reek. 

Regardless, this is a sweet vehicle.  Blowing away the other 3 paint jobs.  If I were to list them in order of preference I would take:

New Clone Wars Version
ROTS Version
AOTC Version
Clone Wars Version (paint job sucks IMO)

Speaking of ship repaints, I am kind of surprised we saw no Arc Fighter repaint.  That ship would of looked great in green. 

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 5, 2006, 01:51 PM »
WW2 Paint jobs....? A Shark? I thought they(P-40 squadron) were called 'the flying tigers'.

Anyway, I think the artwork is most Nexu-like. The Nexu at least has nice teeth and striping on the body.

Nexu?  didn't  that  have  four  eyes (like me)?  The  scheme  reminded  me  more  of  the  large  creature  Anakin  killed  later  in  the  season.

Shark-mouth  nose  art  was  popular  with  lots  of squadrons  on  all  sides  during   WWII,  as  well  as  today.  The  AVG (Flying Tigers)  made  it  famous,  because  they  were  the  only  guys  doing  any  real  damage  to  the  enemy  those  first  few  months  after  Pearl,  not  to  mention  the  movie  starring  John  Wayne.
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #149 on: May 5, 2006, 02:58 PM »
Y'see I assume that it's an aminal WE'VE NEVER SEEN.  In all six movies we've seen about 20-30 beasts.  The SW galaxy is huge.  We've bearely scratched the surface.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com